MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I hope mine can work. I got the card in the mail today and it has my daughter's name on it for some reason.

my name is Brian and her's is Ryan, so I'm still gonna try and use it until they can get me a new card :manny:

right on time for black panther.

nikkaz :dead:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm shocked this company hasn't burned through all it's funding yet. There's no way I'd pay them upfront for this. They've got 2 million+ subscribers. If each of those 2 million subs sees 2 movies a month or more then they've lost money on them. They've gotta be losing millions a month.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I'm shocked this company hasn't burned through all it's funding yet. There's no way I'd pay them upfront for this. They've got 2 million+ subscribers. If each of those 2 million subs sees 2 movies a month or more then they've lost money on them. They've gotta be losing millions a month.
Uber loses over a billion a year and they're still going strong somehow.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Uber loses over a billion a year and they're still going strong somehow.
Spotify too.

Lots of companies lose money while they are growing.
Their path to profitability depends on the mercy of other companies. In other words if they keep doing what they're doing with out other companies that can more affordably do the same thing there's no way they'll be profitable. If they can't work out a deal with the theaters to cut cost there's no good end to this.

AMC can launch their own movie pass for example and wouldn't have to buy tickets to their own theaters.

A-Train

Express.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I paid to see Black Panther last minute friday night since I was working all weekend. There's a theater within walking distance of my job so I used the pass to grab a couple tickets early Saturday and Sunday morning for a later showing then give em to any kids I saw walking to the theater when I got off work. These youngins faces were priceless lmao

If you moviepass brehs know you have no intentions of seeing a showing on a particular day, try and give a ticket away if you can

The new app update is :blessed:. The old one was from the dark ages

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
If they can't work out a deal with the theaters to cut cost there's no good end to this.

I think they're already doing this, AMC's the only one really fighting/holding out. From what I read MP's getting a cut of ticket sales and concessions from smaller/other theaters.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think they're already doing this, AMC's the only one really fighting/holding out. From what I read MP's getting a cut of ticket sales and concessions from smaller/other theaters.
The big theater chains like AMC don't have a reason to ever cut a deal. AMC can launch their own movie pass type service if push came to shove with minimal overhead because they own the theaters and don't have to buy their own tickets. If they had to do so doing that would be a much better deal than giving MoviePass a cut.

AMC can hold out until movie pass burns through all it's funding.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
The big theater chains like AMC don't have a reason to ever cut a deal. AMC can launch their own movie pass type service if push came to shove with minimal overhead because they own the theaters and don't have to buy their own tickets. If they had to do so doing that would be a much better deal than giving MoviePass a cut.

AMC can hold out until movie pass burns through all it's funding.

I doubt they would, or if they did, they'd probably do it like cinemark and have it be 1 ticket a month.

In any case you're always commenting on how you want to see this shyt fail. :camby:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I doubt they would, or if they did, they'd probably do it like cinemark and have it be 1 ticket a month.

In any case you're always commenting on how you want to see this shyt fail. :camby:
I'd like to see theaters in general fail. I hate going to the movies and would love to be able to stream new movies at home.

That being said that business model is unsustainable long term. It's not that I want it to fail it's that there's basically no way they can sell unlimited movie tickets at 1 a day for $10 A month and have it work.

They're counting on the Planet Fitness effect. People maintaining a membership because it's so cheap but being too lazy to use the service. Planet Fitness is smart because the gym is pretty inconvenient for most people to go to but they want to go for the health benefits. I'd bet more than half of their members go to the gym less than 12 times a year total and the membership is so cheap they'd have a massive amount of members.

MoviePass on the other hand isn't smart. Going to the movies is entertaining and something people would want to do. So theyll do it at a rate that's gonna cause them to lose money on most.