Morocco just made history at the World Cup - do you consider them as Africans or Arab?

Daps
People from Morocco have very little Arab admixture & genetically they’re closer to West Africans than any other group. Their haplogroup is below:

main-qimg-3167778ed590914f6553d2096f490250-lq

The only Arab influence there is the fact that they’re mostly Muslims (that came with the Ottoman Empire) & some of them speak Arabic. However, the overwhelming majority of them speak Berber languages. And Berbers are all over North & West Africa & they come in different shades - from very light, to very dark skin shades.

A lot of the admixture in Morocco has a lot to do with European migration due to its proximity to Iberian peninsula - not cos they’re Arabs.

Most of the people from Morocco I see online are also saying they’re Africans not Arabs. Ditto all the Moroccans I know.

So, what does The Coli think?
Well I mean their country is in Africa….

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
are you saying that turkey is more tolerant of other people? cause i was just there and i would not say that at all

Really? I personally havent been there yet but I work with people who have and have friends that enjoyed it. What was your experience like? I know a dude who said that Israel was the most racist fukking place hes ever been to but was praising Istanbul like it was Heaven on Earth

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
“African” = pure black
Africans are pure black.

Congratulations on the most ignorant new take of the day.

Agaw

B2E54540-FB9C-4DB6-B1B3-8AB9BC363440+2.JPG

Khoisan

autbka72x0r51.jpg

Habeshas

the-habesha.jpg

There are all sorts of light-skinned Ethiopian groups, light-skinned Somali groups, Libyans, Sudanese, and the Khoisan are all the way down in South Africa. And their genetics are all remarkably different - there's more diversity just between the groups I just listed than there is in the entire rest of the non-African world combined.

You're literally using a White European metric to define Africa - no one in Africa was dumb enough to define Africans by skin color until Europeans did it.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Really? I personally havent been there yet but I work with people who have and have friends that enjoyed it. What was your experience like? I know a dude who said that Israel was the most racist fukking place hes ever been to but was praising Istanbul like it was Heaven on Earth
the people will be nice to you if you are a tourist visiting the country. but Istanbul is also a very global city where they are used to seeing people from all over.

for context i was there visiting friends who are Syrian. there are many Syrian refugees there and there is a lot of backlash against them. similar with Afghan refugees there. i saw them get looked down on, yelled at etc all the time because they are Syrian. we even got profiled and pulled out of the car, patted down, car searched for drugs etc. because they were Syrian.

there is also the treatment of Kurds who are seen as like a fifth column of terrorist sympathizers and couldn't even use their language in public until very recently. one of my friends there is kurdish and she wont even tell most people because of the reaction. i also met armenians there who are turkish citizens and from there and their schools and churches get vandalized all the time. and in media and politics you can say anything horrible about armenians and its totally fine. in fact if you call someone an "armenian" as an insult (which is super common) you can be sued for defaming them. a turkish-armenian journalist Hrant Dink was assassinated and the police who arrested the guy let him pose with the turkish flag as a hero

ogunsamastpoz.jpg

compared to these forms of racism and xenephobia the anti-black racism is not as at the forefront and some will even say there isn't any. but it does exist as well, although my understanding of this from what my friends there told me about.

in general there is a mainstream extreme ethno-nationalist current in turkish society that is exclusive, not tolerant of other languages or ethnic identities and looks at turkish people as being inherently better than others because they are turkish. MHP which is a far-right ultra-nationalist party is a major party. their youth branch, the Grey Wolves, are essentially an ethno-nationalist terrorist organization that has infiltrated much of the country's institutions especially military, police and security.

none of this is to discourage you from going to turkey its an incredibly beautiful country, istanbul is one of the most amazing cities ive ever been to and i have a lot of friends who are turkish, turkish kurds or other groups living in turkey. i highly recommend it and i really like turkish culture but unfortunately racism and xenephobia is a major problem there.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Congratulations on the most ignorant new take of the day.

Agaw

B2E54540-FB9C-4DB6-B1B3-8AB9BC363440+2.JPG

Khoisan

autbka72x0r51.jpg

Habeshas

the-habesha.jpg

There are all sorts of light-skinned Ethiopian groups, light-skinned Somali groups, Libyans, Sudanese, and the Khoisan are all the way down in South Africa. And their genetics are all remarkably different - there's more diversity just between the groups I just listed than there is in the entire rest of the non-African world combined.

You're literally using a White European metric to define Africa - no one in Africa was dumb enough to define Africans by skin color until Europeans did it.
So by this metric are white South Africans Africans too? Should we celebrate apartheid whites and Elon Musk?

Africans and black people are the only race who desperately try to incorporate other races who clearly want nothing to do with y’all as African or black.

Not even Japanese people will celebrate if China somehow won the World Cup as “Asian Victory” but Africans… :laff:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So by this metric are white South Africans Africans too? Should we celebrate apartheid whites and Elon Musk?

Africans and black people are the only race who desperately try to incorporate other races who clearly want nothing to do with y’all as African.

Not even Japanese people will celebrate if China somehow won the World Cup as “Asian Victory” but Africans… :laff:
morocco is an african country
south africa is an african country

it's white people in both.

645WUHFNKR7LP2PPRZAHK6MO74.jpg

it's some brehs on this team and some arabs

it's still an african country.

some actual african brehs in this thread say they don't claim them, someone else said they north african

either way they not ados :lolbron:

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
morocco is an african country
south africa is an african country

it's white people in both.

645WUHFNKR7LP2PPRZAHK6MO74.jpg

it's some brehs on this team and some arabs

it's still an african country.
I don’t give a fukk about their geographical location, they’re not black Africans so not African. They might “represent” Africa as part of the African group in the World Cup but they’re not African.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Africans and black people are the only race who desperately try to incorporate other races who clearly want nothing to do with y’all as African or black.

So you're trying to say that light-skinned people native to Africa are the equivlent of White Europeans who happen to move there? :dahell:

Congratulations, you now have the two stupidest takes of the day.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
These people are not Africans. They don’t consider themselves Africans. They’re Arabs. Go see how they treat africans in North African countries. Why africans are celebrating this shyt, I will never understand.

See how Black South Africans treat other Africans.

South Africans are still African though.