Morocco just made history at the World Cup - do you consider them as Africans or Arab?

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Low Quality Posting
The pure ignorance in this thread has been entertaining, not gonna lie.

Africa is a CONTINENT, people. It's made up of over 50 distinct countries, all with their own distinct history and has billions of people of various genetic backgrounds, the same way in which Brazilians are South Americans, but are a completely distinct group from Peruvians or Argentinians.

African does NOT mean Black.

The reason you THINK it does is due to racist conditioning from White colonials boiling down everything in the rich and diverse continent of Africa to a distinct set of features THEIR SLAVES had.

Black people (as we know them here in the states) come from mainly West Africa, as that is where the slave trade mainly took place.

We are genetically distinct from other African groups like the homie @Rhakim has been trying to explain to you speds. If I took a genetic test and a person from the San tribe took a test, we most likely wouldn't have more than a 5% overlap.

No one is calling Moroccans "BLACK" (although there ARE Black Moroccans). They are simply being called African, because their country is in Africa.

:picard:

This, this and absolutely this :wow:

Other African nations with majority black citizens are just salty as fukk seeing Morocco succeed where their teams have failed.

It burns them knowing that Morocco are the real champions of Africa

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
fail geography brehs :snoop:
Y’all keep bringing up geography as if we don’t fukking know these people are in Africa. The fukking difference is, they don’t see themselves as Africans. One Moroccan player even yesterday dedicated the win to Arabs and Muslims, no mention of Africa and they held a Palestinian flag.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
no one is calling them sub saharan. they are berbers. native to africa and closely related to east africans.
They’re not black Africans. I don’t give a fukk who they’re related to. Why are y’all desperately trying to link these people to black Africans when they themselves have told y’all to y’all faces that they’re Arabs and Muslims first and nothing else :mjlol:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Y’all keep bringing up geography as if we don’t fukking know these people are in Africa. The fukking difference is, they don’t see themselves as Africans. One Moroccan player even yesterday dedicated the win to Arabs and Muslims, no mention of Africa and they held a Palestinian flag.

you got it; guess its not a time to celebrate and support

Bushmaster69

Superstar
Daps
My parents are originally Moroccan, I am Imagizhen(Berber, Uregu) and black, however I grew up in America, having said that Morocco proximity to Europe makes them eurocentric thinking with Arabized racism from the middle east.....
Please tell them.

These nikkas need to ask the sub Saharan African woman being beaten and sexually abused in North Africa while working as a househelp how African these people think they are. They think they are Arabs. They may have some African DNA but they are psychologically wannabe Arab. Which is worse because they will do extreme things to prove themselves to Arabs or gain acceptance from other Arabs.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
This literally sounds lest the rest of the world. China, Russia, USA, France, Japan. Which country isn’t on some weird ethnic-nationalist tip.
most of those countries have some form of outreach, even if it is superficial, for minority communities (Japan does not as far as i know the indigenous in the north and Okinawese are pretty socially/politically isolated).

russia and china for example have recongized official languages in different regions that have large minority populations and autonomous regions. this would be unspeakable in Turkey. USA also has no official language, you can see multiple languages on public transport frequently. you will not see kurdish, armenian, arabic etc on turkish public transportation. this is just one example but you get the drift

but im not arguing that turkey is unique in having mainstreamed ethno-nationalism, many countries have it. but i was responding to someone saying the country is more open and tolerant of other cultures than other muslim countries which in my experience compared to the other muslim countries i have been to, it is the least. of the muslim countries ive been to id say jordan is probably the most tolerant of foreign cultures.

yates

All Star
Daps
This, this and absolutely this :wow:

Other African nations with majority black citizens are just salty as fukk seeing Morocco succeed where their teams have failed.

It burns them knowing that Morocco are the real champions of Africa

Lol stop it man, north african countries actually have a poor record in the world cup despite competing in it longer than the black african nations. Its AFCON where they have a good record but its mostly been the black african nations carrying africa on the world cup stage but im happy Morocco have made it this far. Big step for African football.

Anyway,i get the politic/religious ties morocco has to the arab world, but purely from a footballing standpoint Morocco and the north african teams are better than the gulf arab nations because they play in CAF ( the african football federation ).Despite Africa's issues it is still the third best footballing federation after UEFA and CONMEBOL. North african football would be trash if they were competing in AFC and playing with countries like Kuwait to get the world cup :mjlol: Thats the reason youll never see a gulf arab state even reach the knock out rounds lol. Playing in africa and playing the likes of Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Ivory coast to get to the WC means youre going to have to raise your standards vs playing iran/joran etc. Not to mention Morocco's win has increased the African slots for the next WC and not the arab. So from a footballing standpoint arabs aint really got nothing to celebrate lol but from a political/religous point obviously.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Random: just went Christmas caroling in an Arab neighborhood (yeah, I live a risky life) last night. And the Marroco people had their flag and the American on their porches. Had no idea where Marroco was though. Didn't know it was in Africa. Very friendly people. They gave us cookies and muffins.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I already proved that was some of the dumbest, most ignorant shyt you could say. WTF is "pure Black"?

You do realize that Moroccans and Ethiopians share more genetically and culturally than either of them share with Khoisan people, right? And that many Ethiopians and other east Africans have more Arabian genetic admixture than Moroccans do? (Hell, Arabian genetics originated in Africa too, fwiw, but that might be too surprising for you to digest.) Hell, even Moroccans and West Africans are closer than either one is to indigenous South Africans. So what does "pure Black" even mean to you?

You're literally using Colonial definitions and terminology and think you're saying something pro-Black.

Except there were multiple players and team officials who have said the win belongs to Africans, including statements from Jawad El Yamiq, Walid Regragui, and Azzedine Ounahi in the same event. And the win is being celebrated as a win for African football by famous African footballers all over the continent. And the ONE player who didn't say Africa, he immediately apologized publicly for omitting Africa and said the win was for all African people too. Why is one guy who forgot to say Africa definitive, and all the ones who did say Africa don't count?

I literally said in my original post that North Africans will conveniently claim to be "African" during Sporting events.

When the sporting events are over you get exactly what the Moroccan player who went off script said.

And he apologized because he got heat from upset Africans. Mad that a Moroccan didn't want to claim them.

Y'all would not be doing all this for a bunch of Afrikaners and you know it :snoop:

If the team was South Africa and a team full of these:

South-Africa-anthem-prior-to-Wales-third-Test-2022-PA-1.jpg

Born and bred "Afrikaners"

All this "they're African :mad: and my brothers you need to celebrate " BULLshyt wouldn't be present.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
They are arab by heritage and ethnicity and african by region. Its not always either or or one or the other

DaStangMan

Rookie
Bushed
Daps
Well I’ll tell you this when I first put on the game I thought Morocco was Portugal due to the uniform. If that was Nigeria playing with the same color uniform no way I would make that mistake.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

That was almost a week ago and had nothing to do with yesterday's win. You're just proving you didn't even know what was going on until TLR made a thread about it.

Why do you keep harping on the one guy what said Arab and ignore all the other players and coaches who said Africa?

And Palestine is a Muslim issue not an Arab issue lol, most Arab countries don't even fukk with Palestine like that anymore. Stop talking ignorant.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Y'all would not be doing all this for a bunch of Afrikaners and you know it :snoop:

If the team was South Africa and a team full of these:

South-Africa-anthem-prior-to-Wales-third-Test-2022-PA-1.jpg

Born and bred "Afrikaners"

All this "they're African :mad: and my brothers you need to celebrate " BULLshyt wouldn't be present.

This is such a stupid comparison y'all gotta have brain cells missing. :gucci:

Dutch South Africans are from Europe, not Africa. Moroccan Berbers are from Africa and always have been.

If they were South African Kiaosan would you claim they ain't African either? They're just as light as Moroccans and yet they're pure African too. What about Ethiopians, they have more Arab genetics that Moroccans do, do they count?

They are arab by heritage and ethnicity and african by region. Its not always either or or one or the other

They're ethnically Berber, not Arab. There's more Arab DNA in east Africa than in Morocco.