Morocco just made history at the World Cup - do you consider them as Africans or Arab?

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
800px-Roman_Empire_Africa.svg.png

An Arabized, Formerly Roman Province
The province of Ifriqiya was created in 703 CE when the Umayyads seized Africa from the Byzantine Empire. Although Islam existed throughout the province, there was still considerable religious tension and conflict between the invading Arabs and the native Berbers. The beliefs and perceptions of people also shifted from area to area. This contrast was at its greatest between coastal cities and villages. Muslim ownership of Ifriqiya changed hands numerous times in its history with the collapse of the Umayyads paving the way for the Aghlabids, who acted as agents of the Abbasids in Baghdad.

That's habibi's shyt. Let him have it.

Where do you live?
:mjgrin:

Africa?

Me12k

Pro
Daps
Can’t be using the American system/mindset and applying to everyone around the world.

I grew up in Montréal and spent some time in France last year, so I know and was friends with many Moroccans and North Africans. From what I saw, Moroccans are like the least “arabized” Arabs, Algerians are 2nd, and Tunisians a distant third.

Most of the Moroccans I know would consider themselves maghrébins or berbère before Arab. Arab to them is like the equivalent of us calling all people who speak Spanish “latino/hispanic”. It flys in the US, but Mexicans in Mexico aren’t calling themselves “latino” like that, they’re Mexican. It’s the same for Moroccans, in France and Canada they’re “arabs”, but in Morocco they go by their ethnicities, which could be Arabs for some.

Their Arab language is nearly unintelligible with the standard Arabic, since I’m Haitian, I’d compare it to Haitian Creole and French, a haitian (without French education) maybe able to get a gist of what a French person is saying, but not a full understanding. Moroccans in Morocco learn standard Arab in school, but the ones outside usually just speak darija (Moroccan Arabic with French and other languages mixed).

The thing with the “African” term, it’s used both geographically and to refer to sub Sahara (black) Africans. Moroccans are former and most aren’t the former. So it depends on context on whether they are Africans or not. There are some who wouldn’t associates themselves with the “African”, but I think those are the same who wouldn’t call themselves “arabs” either, mostly like berbers.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
How would they treat you if you didn’t have your western passport and lived as a black person on the ground level ?

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
The pure ignorance in this thread has been entertaining, not gonna lie.

Africa is a CONTINENT, people. It's made up of over 50 distinct countries, all with their own distinct history and has billions of people of various genetic backgrounds, the same way in which Brazilians are South Americans, but are a completely distinct group from Peruvians or Argentinians.

African does NOT mean Black.

The reason you THINK it does is due to racist conditioning from White colonials boiling down everything in the rich and diverse continent of Africa to a distinct set of features THEIR SLAVES had.

Black people (as we know them here in the states) come from mainly West Africa, as that is where the slave trade mainly took place.

We are genetically distinct from other African groups like the homie @Rhakim has been trying to explain to you speds. If I took a genetic test and a person from the San tribe took a test, we most likely wouldn't have more than a 5% overlap.

No one is calling Moroccans "BLACK" (although there ARE Black Moroccans). They are simply being called African, because their country is in Africa.

:picard:
Wish this could be moved to the top. The country is located on the African continent, so people from there are African. It's geography, I'm not understanding the huge heated debate.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Wish this could be moved to the top. The country is located on the African continent, so people from there are African. It's geography, I'm not understanding the huge heated debate.
Breh, we got people on here that believe Israel is part of Africa even though it ain't even on the same continental plate....

Geography (or ANY science) is NOT their strong point......neither is common sense.

:mjlol:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Those ARABS call you subsaharan and libya transports kidnapped ENSLAVED west africans - in THE MODERN ERA - like last year, nikka:why:. IFRIQIYA/AFRICA was the original name of either tunisia or libya.
Why are you so attached to a roman provincial title? Those North Africans do not fukk with "black africa" outside of their islamic neighbors, and there's even a racial hierarchy within that. Are you ok?

They're full of shyt :mjlol:

If we swapped out Morocco for South Africa and they put out a team full of "Afrikaners" aka cacs all this "yes they're African:mad:" talk wouldn't be here :unimpressed:

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
"They're located on the continent of Africa"
The same continent named after IFRIQIYA (Tunisia), an ARAB PROVINCE formerly belonging to rome? The same MAGHREBI-ARAB sphere that morocco is part of?
White South Africans, German Namibians, White Libyans that whoop AND SELL naked west African ass ON CAMERA, while not considering themselves african, are also "africans". Yes, technically they are. But they're not BLACK.
African doesn't automatically mean black. They call Black Africans sub saharans, even though black people live in places above, in, and next to the sahara.
Guess why? They don't want to be black people, they think we're an inferior race, and they want to be who they want to be. Let them be IFRIQIYAN ARABS.