Molly's Game Trailer Starring Idris Elba

Daps
Jessica was on the Tonight Show yesterday. I thought she looks good and I know she is a good actor so what will this be like? They picked a scene from the movie where she is arguing with Idris about her "name" or some shyt and the scene was awful! I thought to mysellf , "That's the scene they picked to show?"
And now I have found out that Sorkin wrote it so it makes a little more sense.

Completely agree. Idris acting and accent was off.

This film probably should have been a Netflix movie.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
damn I hope dude can bounce back from that Dark Tower fiasco
The Alex Cross fiasco (got the role finessed from him last second, to Tyler Perry)
The Prometheus fiasco (barely in it)
The Dark Tower fiasco (fake lead, apparently the lil white kid got more focus than him)
The movie with the titanic girl (nobody cared, and awkward marketing)
The whole superhero/action star fiasco (everybody wanted him to play every black superhero + James Bond, but he's still just... "Heimdall")

At this point, I'm reserved to the reality that Idris is what he is at this point: that very talented 6th man off the bench that you think can should be a starter or all star but he's 10 seasons in and still can only get quality minutes on shytty teams (movies).

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The Alex Cross fiasco (got the role finessed from him last second, to Tyler Perry)
The Dark Tower fiasco (fake lead, apparently the lil white kid got more focus than him)
The whole superhero/action star fiasco (everybody wanted him to play every black superhero + James Bond, but he's still just... "Heimdall")

At this point, I'm reserved to the reality that Idris is what he is at this point: that very talented 6th man off the bench that you think can should be a starter or all star but he's 10 seasons in and still can only get quality minutes on shytty teams (movies).

I don’t think that’s entirely fair breh. The Alex cross thing wasn’t finessed as much as it was he and the director both jumped ship and someone else came on. Idris just needs the right project like most actors to really put him in a different pole position.

As far as this movie tried to see it during my break but that shyt didn’t work out so I will be seeing it next weekend. Cannot fukking wait

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I don’t think that’s entirely fair breh. The Alex cross thing wasn’t finessed as much as it was he and the director both jumped ship and someone else came on. Idris just needs the right project like most actors to really put him in a different pole position.

As far as this movie tried to see it during my break but that shyt didn’t work out so I will be seeing it next weekend. Cannot fukking wait

I don't know about that..

Tyler Perry in, Idris Elba out of Alex Cross reboot: Producer explains why -- EXCLUSIVE

EW chatted with Elba last October about the film, which was to then have been directed by David Twohy (A Perfect Getaway, Pitch Black), and all he would reveal was that the script was “phenomenal” and if he could pick his dream costar/nemesis, it’d be Joaquin Phoenix. So cut to the news today that cameras will be rolling this June on I, Alex Cross with Tyler Perry in the titular role and director Rob Cohen (The Fast and the Furious and xXx) at the helm. What happened?

Elba’s rep had no comment,
but Bill Block, CEO of QED International (District 9), which acquired the rights and the initial script by Kerry Williamson and Patterson late last year (and hired Marc Moss, who worked on the previous Cross films, to refine it for Perry and Cohen), just filled us in: “When we came on, we looked at it freshly, and just built it from the bottom up,” he tells EW. “Sure, Idris is a great actor; Tyler Perry is a phenomenon. Tyler Perry is one of the most significant entertainers in all of media. He is a huge cross-media talent and presence — and he’s a terrific actor whose range is going to be shown here. You’re going to see Tyler Perry like you haven’t seen him. He’s 6’5″, he is a linebacker. He is an awesome physical presence and is just going to tear it apart here. It’s an intense, dramatic role.” Block says the film — “a kickass, crusading action picture” — will be the first of several Alex Cross films. “This is going to be the new Tyler Perry franchise, a worldwide one,” he says. “That’s the other thing: Tyler Perry is going to take this to the worldwide audience. It’s just a very different, much bigger opportunity.” (It’s worth noting that Block was, in fact, phoning us as he arrived at the airport, about to fly to the European Film Market in Berlin to sell global distribution rights.) “We went to him,” Block says. “If you can get Tyler Perry or Will Smith, you try.”

Idris was was excited as hell for the movie and was giddily talking about it, but the producers came in and said "Tyler Perry is the Will Smith of this shyt (:ld:), so we did what we had to do". shyt was wack but the movie itself was apparently wack, so there's that too.

And Idris been needing the right project for the past 10 years lol, that's why i said what i said. I been rooting for him to get it since then.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't know about that..

Tyler Perry in, Idris Elba out of Alex Cross reboot: Producer explains why -- EXCLUSIVE

Idris was was excited as hell for the movie and was giddily talking about it, but the producers came in and said "Tyler Perry is the Will Smith of this shyt (:ld:), so we did what we had to do". shyt was wack but the movie itself was apparently wack, so there's that too.

And Idris been needing the right project for the past 10 years lol, that's why i said what i said. I been rooting for him to get it since then.

Yeah I see where you’re coming from but I just disagree. But also to his credit there’s nothing wrong with being one of the best actors out and people knowing it. He’s not a brand name in the sense of Will smith or Denzel or even Tyler Perry but there ain’t shyt wrong with that either.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Yeah I see where you’re coming from but I just disagree. But also to his credit there’s nothing wrong with being one of the best actors out and people knowing it. He’s not a brand name in the sense of Will smith or Denzel or even Tyler Perry but there ain’t shyt wrong with that either.

I mean, cheers to you for disagreeing (with what, whatever..) But for someone who has the talent to be a leading man (the hell with that brand name crap since Tylers brand name didnt do shyt for Alex Cross) it does stink that he hasn't had the opportunities (due to timing, politics, cism or age) and that the opportunities he has had have been meh.

Obviously that's a knock on the industry and not on him, he's made the best of it.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I mean, cheers to you for disagreeing (with what, whatever..) But for someone who has the talent to be a leading man (the hell with that brand name crap since Tylers brand name didnt do shyt for Alex Cross) it does stink that he hasn't had the opportunities (due to timing, politics, cism or age) and that the opportunities he has had have been meh.

Obviously that's a knock on the industry and not on him, he's made the best of it.

I disagree with you about him being a 6th man. He's a lot better than that and even in the roles he has, they're not always 6th man roles. shyt he was the smartest person on the ship and the best part of a bad movie in Prometheus, so I'll always give him props for that.

But it does suck he hasn't had the "breakout" role in terms of big 100 million dollar flick but his stardom hasn't suffered because of it. He still gets magazine covers, he's still looked at as a star and the elite in Hollywood, and one of the best. It's that weird thing we've talked about in other threads (not you and I but we in general) about the way stars are now vs the way they were 10-20 years ago. The definition has changed, the criteria has slightly changed, and the expectations have most certainly changed. I talked about Robert Downey Jr being a "star" but anything he's in that's not iron man or Sherlock Holmes goes straight to the bargain bin. Same with Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth, and Chris Pine, and Chris Pratt. If it ain't a comic book movie or a well known IP, people don't seem to care. The travesty for Idris really is being Hemdall in the marvel movies, because he should be a much bigger part of that world and should have a much bigger role.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I disagree with you about him being a 6th man. He's a lot better than that and even in the roles he has, they're not always 6th man roles. shyt he was the smartest person on the ship and the best part of a bad movie in Prometheus, so I'll always give him props for that

Actually, we're not in disagreement that he's better than a 6th man role. That's the point, but also the reality of the situation with half glass full exceptions. Like Prometheus, which was a 6th man role: him being the smartest person on the ship, best part of the movie and whatever other pat-on-the-back platitudes for a support character with limited screen time...i mean.. cool i guess :ld:

I guess he was also one of the best acting and most noble characters in some of those Thor movies too, but even he's said that he wants to move on from those 6th man roles and wants to be a superhero now.

But it does suck he hasn't had the "breakout" role in terms of big 100 million dollar flick but his stardom hasn't suffered because of it. He still gets magazine covers, he's still looked at as a star and the elite in Hollywood, and one of the best. It's that weird thing we've talked about in other threads (not you and I but we in general) about the way stars are now vs the way they were 10-20 years ago. The definition has changed, the criteria has slightly changed, and the expectations have most certainly changed. I talked about Robert Downey Jr being a "star" but anything he's in that's not iron man or Sherlock Holmes goes straight to the bargain bin. Same with Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth, and Chris Pine, and Chris Pratt. If it ain't a comic book movie or a well known IP, people don't seem to care. The travesty for Idris really is being Hemdall in the marvel movies, because he should be a much bigger part of that world and should have a much bigger role.

We're not in disagreement that he's not pressed for money or praise. 6th men in the NBA make 10s of millions of dollars and are recognized as invaluable to the team's success. Same with movies.

But we (I) aint talking about that as a fundamentally bad thing, but relative to an actor who has the talent and look to be a leading man. Something where he's tried his hat on (and ppl have advocated for him) but shyt hasn't (yet) gone his way for a variety of reasons.

I mean shoot, he could just continue playing animated creatures in disney movies and his pockets will be set for life; but that's besides the point. And yea, I have similar views to the point regarding RDJ, Evans, Pine, Prat, (Boseman), etc.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Actually, we're not in disagreement that he's better than a 6th man role. That's the point, but also the reality of the situation with half glass full exceptions. Like Prometheus, which was a 6th man role: him being the smartest person on the ship, best part of the movie and whatever other pat-on-the-back platitudes for a support character with limited screen time...i mean.. cool i guess :ld:

I guess he was also one of the best acting and most noble characters in some of those Thor movies too, but even he's said that he wants to move on from those 6th man roles and wants to be a superhero now.

We're not in disagreement that he's not pressed for money or praise. 6th men in the NBA make 10s of millions of dollars and are recognized as invaluable to the team's success. Same with movies.

But we (I) aint talking about that as a fundamentally bad thing, but relative to an actor who has the talent and look to be a leading man. Something where he's tried his hat on (and ppl have advocated for him) but shyt hasn't (yet) gone his way for a variety of reasons.

I mean shoot, he could just continue playing animated creatures in disney movies and his pockets will be set for life; but that's besides the point. And yea, I have similar views to the point regarding RDJ, Evans, Pine, Prat, (Boseman), etc.

Yeah about the last point, I don't think any star is going to be Denzel, Will, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise anymore. I really believe those days are long gone

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps

Thing is i am a little more blunt, fans of the wire and luther have wanted him to have next so bad but truth be told outside of stringer you'd be hardpressed to find a role hes done playing an american where he was any good. You name it the reaping, no good deeds, Prometheus he was trash in all of them . Dont know why he attempts a southern drawl in most his movies but hes terrible at it. I remember that was jason isaacs and morgan from TWD go to accent when doing american work, so phoney. Its like the only american accent he can do is hood so hes trying to deviate in thr name of range but outside of a squint he has none. Yes i have seen all of luther and he wasnt the best thing about it