MILITARY STORIES

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
@The Butcher not always the case. In the high speed career fields (especially in Ops Squadrons), you can rank up quickly. Most enlisted billets in Ops Squadrons are E6. And some Ops Jobs, like Cyber, have tons of E7 and E8 billets.

Or if you do get stovepiped in Enlisted rank, do like I did and drop a OTS package :mjgrin:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@The Butcher not always the case. In the high speed career fields (especially in Ops Squadrons), you can rank up quickly. Most enlisted billets in Ops Squadrons are E6. And some Ops Jobs, like Cyber, have tons of E7 and E8 billets.

Or if you do get stovepiped in Enlisted rank, do like I did and drop a OTS package :mjgrin:
Tips on putting together an OTS package?
:feedme:
I'm in maintenance so they don't give a shyt about us

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Totally different culture. in the Army. But the Army is the largest service with the largest amount of planes.

In the Army up to E-6 you have a points based promotion system. The points vary based on the needs of the Army so if you pick the right career field and do the right things you can fly up in rank, even getting the Seven in Seven meaning you can make E-7 in seven years. at E-7 and above you're promotion packet goes to a board and the pick you based of a picture and your carreer accomplisments.

The proper career track isn't a secret basically the Army wants you to split your time between the "line" meaning MTOE operational units and deployments and "the schoolhouse" meaning Drill Sgt duty, Recruiter duty, and NCO Academy instuctor time.

The issue is a lot of people find a job and try to stay. For example once I became an SOF enabler I didn't want to leave had I stayed in I would've had to make a choice to do time in a mechanized unit ( a buddy did time in 1st Armored) and or the school house ( there was talk of me doing a Korea tour or being a Jumpmaster instructor)

Or going SF, There were strong hints that I should at least go to Ranger school.

I did neither so at 12 years I was still an E-6. but they did promote me when I got injured.

As far as I know no one in my basic training platoon made it to E-8 and no one even stayed in the same MOS because we were overstrength so it was hard to get promoted.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
@semicko82 youre active so its a little different for you bois

but the same principle applies. keep your ears to the street and your base at some point will have briefing about E to O boards and how to put together a Officer Package. Recruiting and Retention will also have more info on this as well.

Big things for active bois is to have an idea of the selection rate. IIRC when I commissioned (2019ish) was when selection was through the roof. THey heavily needed Cyber, Intel, and Space officers, especially since Space Force was spun up a year later.

Since then COvid has heavily affected manning and from what i hear, they are much more selective.

Biggest advice I can give you is :

1. Finish your degree, preferably in something STEM
2. If dead serious, start having that conversation with your NCOIC or a NCO/SNCO who is a mentor, and build rapports in your career field. Its a small Air Force and recommendation letters go a long way
3. Start positioning your career to shine. Take charge, learn and be a overachiever. Remember, EPR's are taken into account for a OTS package. If not excellent in PT, get excellent.
4. start looking into the AFOQT as a significant part of Officer selection is how you score on it. Your score is based on how your Test Group scored so a strong or weak test group can heavily inflate or deflate your score.

5. Take a loot at the AFOCD (officer classification directory) as it tells you what degrees and AFSCs certain Officer career fields will allow to commission into them and the rate (for example Enlisted to Cyber Officers have to get a certain AFOQT score, have no speech impediments and I believe only like 15% can be Non Stem, so the remaining 85% have to have a STEM degree or come from a Comm/Cyber/or intel career field).o

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@semicko82 youre active so its a little different for you bois

but the same principle applies. keep your ears to the street and your base at some point will have briefing about E to O boards and how to put together a Officer Package. Recruiting and Retention will also have more info on this as well.

Big things for active bois is to have an idea of the selection rate. IIRC when I commissioned (2019ish) was when selection was through the roof. THey heavily needed Cyber, Intel, and Space officers, especially since Space Force was spun up a year later.

Since then COvid has heavily affected manning and from what i hear, they are much more selective.

Biggest advice I can give you is :

1. Finish your degree, preferably in something STEM
2. If dead serious, start having that conversation with your NCOIC or a NCO/SNCO who is a mentor, and build rapports in your career field. Its a small Air Force and recommendation letters go a long way
3. Start positioning your career to shine. Take charge, learn and be a overachiever. Remember, EPR's are taken into account for a OTS package. If not excellent in PT, get excellent.
4. start looking into the AFOQT as a significant part of Officer selection is how you score on it. Your score is based on how your Test Group scored so a strong or weak test group can heavily inflate or deflate your score.

5. Take a loot at the AFOCD (officer classification directory) as it tells you what degrees and AFSCs certain Officer career fields will allow to commission into them and the rate (for example Enlisted to Cyber Officers have to get a certain AFOQT score, have no speech impediments and I believe only like 15% can be Non Stem, so the remaining 85% have to have a STEM degree or come from a Comm/Cyber/or intel career field).o
Dap and rep