MILITARY STORIES

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I’m halo qualed haven’t been to dive yet.
A typical day is usually Morning PT on your own but you’ll have dudes you work out with like it’s 4 of us who all hit the gym run or ruck together.
Morning brief followed by classes throughout the day depending on what you have going on if you’re going to a specific school you’re focusing on that like sniper school, CQB, JTAC simulation training , comm classes, medical lanes.

we try and leave around 1500 because there’s less downtown when you’re here you’re busy. It’s amazing how much you can get done when you’re not hit with a bunch of time wasting tasks

we are in the field almost 1 week out of every month. we have no formations unless it’s the monthly promotion/awards we really just pass all info in the team room
We usually have 2 pool days a week and a long ruck every Friday
Do you use a specialized PT program? We used the THOR3 system in the gym and Gym Jones in the field

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
It’s still just propaganda After it’s all said and done that feeling is fleeting.

having the support and enablers to not having the support and enablers will display the difference
One other good thing about being an enabler for SOF: No hip pocket training. For example a Land Nav or IED class would be a 4 hour block of instruction on the same lanes we used all the time and usually the Squad Leader would literally read the doctrine right out of the field manual.

On an ODA a land Nav or IED course would be like a week long process usually in a whole other base or in some wilderness area. A land Nav would be in some shytty evironment and if you didn't find the points in time you called for help and slept til they found you. If you called for help That was in the end of your time on the team.

Same thing with Counter IED the team Charlies would set up all kinds of IED's and you had to do a whole react to contact drill no bullshyt 5 and 25 and get back in the truck shyt we hit an IED and there was always a Force on Force Complex attack.

Again way more realistic and defenitely not a waste of time.

Daps
Wow no specialized PT?
We go over nutrition and get on the body machine . But we use the same programming we get in selection and make some tweaks and keep using it to continue having a baseline of fitness. We use THOR3 aswell

Im fully integrated if I’m not working with air I’m going over weapons and long guns we try and be interchangeable in whatever roles. And that’s odd even our support comm dudes we go over basic Call For Fire with them just incase they could call in fires if needed I mean they are already running comms.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
One other good thing about being an enabler for SOF: No hip pocket training. For example a Land Nav or IED class would be a 4 hour block of instruction on the same lanes we used all the time and usually the Squad Leader would literally read the doctrine right out of the field manual.

On an ODA a land Nav or IED course would be like a week long process usually in a whole other base or in some wilderness area. A land Nav would be in some shytty evironment and if you didn't find the points in time you called for help and slept til they found you. If you called for help That was in the end of your time on the team.

Same thing with Counter IED the team Charlies would set up all kinds of IED's and you had to do a whole react to contact drill no bullshyt 5 and 25 and get back in the truck shyt we hit an IED and there was always a Force on Force Complex attack.

Again way more realistic and defenitely not a waste of time.

you hit the nail on the head. Resources and taking advantage of training opportunities presented.

You would legitimately be surprised at the amount of leaders who just didn’t want to take advantage of training opportunities they were offered even at no cost to the unit because they didn’t want to form a relationship or honestly just didn’t want their subordinates to do something they couldn’t.

Ranger school for us is just a leadership school. But every cycle I’d send guys. But I also didn’t let that school be the deciding factor of who we selected to be Section or Platoon Sergeant's.

in all honesty I think I probably spent the last decade just coordinating training opportunities for others and building relationships.

in 82nd it was easy units would always reclama and I’d have guys on standby for damn near everything of value.

in 1st ID we would steady have guys go 2 ranger school twice a week.

in 1st CAV III corp always had some cool stuff going on. Especially when we were doing the BFSB thing.

in TRADOC every class we would have the recruiters for SF/Ranger/AWG/ come. Even had the EW guys set up the same way before they went to Gordon.

like really think back to the leadership you had over your career if they didn’t fill your training schedule with good training opportunities and you were sitting around the motor pool all day or hiding out in a day room they were the problem.

Training opportunities were out there.

it’s as simple as this if you are going to observe fires or call for fire why not participate in joint exercises at Nellis. I mean shyt let’s be honest who doesn’t want to go TDY to Vegas. But I used to see a lot of organizations turn down opportunities. And the hosting branch would pay for it.

it’s kind of why I want to get a training planning job now. Leaders don’t know what’s out there because they either didn’t research, are prioritizing QTB bullshyt and 350-1 crap, or they don’t realize that everything doesn’t impact their budget.

And as we all know some of them act as if they are spending their own money. And if you don’t use it than it’s possible to lose it. With the SMU types they are used to the open checking account and taking advantage of opportunities that it’s not an issue to them.

We got a 4 day weekend every month while in garrison. So of course I made sure every week was full. I also took care of my enablers assigned. They stayed at a digital/signal master gunner or foundry attending some courses even doing. Even that space enabler training.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
We go over nutrition and get on the body machine . But we use the same programming we get in selection and make some tweaks and keep using it to continue having a baseline of fitness. We use THOR3 aswell

Im fully integrated if I’m not working with air I’m going over weapons and long guns we try and be interchangeable in whatever roles. And that’s odd even our support comm dudes we go over basic Call For Fire with them just incase they could call in fires if needed I mean they are already running comms.

I had the same training and the basic two way course so I could in theory call in Fires or even talk to birds and since I was Air assault I would be involved in basic LZ's and loadmaster stuff.

Damn the Conventional side TACP's get treated more like Airforce guys and intergrated mainly in the field not like SOF where JTAC's and CCT's are considered real members of a team not just an attachment/ enabler

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
you hit the nail on the head. Resources and taking advantage of training opportunities presented.

You would legitimately be surprised at the amount of leaders who just didn’t want to take advantage of training opportunities they were offered even at no cost to the unit because they didn’t want to form a relationship or honestly just didn’t want their subordinates to do something they couldn’t.

Ranger school for us is just a leadership school. But every cycle I’d send guys. But I also didn’t let that school be the deciding factor of who we selected to be Section or Platoon Sergeant's.

in all honesty I think I probably spent the last decade just coordinating training opportunities for others and building relationships.

in 82nd it was easy units would always reclama and I’d have guys on standby for damn near everything of value.

in 1st CAV III corp always had some cool stuff going on. Especially when we were doing the BFSB thing.

in TRADOC every class we would have the recruiters for SF/Ranger/AWG/ come. Even had the EW guys set up the same way before they went to Gordon.

like really think back to the leadership you had over your career if they didn’t fill your training schedule with good training opportunities and you were sitting around the motor pool all day or hiding out in a day room they were the problem.

it’s as simple as this if you are going to observe fires or call for fire why not participate in joint exercises at Nellis. I mean shyt let’s be honest who doesn’t want to go TDY to Vegas. But I used to see a lot of organizations turn down opportunities. And the hosting branch would pay for it.

it’s kind of why I want to get a training planning job now. Leaders don’t know what’s out there because they either didn’t research, are prioritizing QTB bullshyt and 350-1 crap, or they don’t realize that everything doesn’t impact their budget.

And as we all know some of them act as if they are spending their own money. And if you don’t use it than it’s possible to lose it. With the SMU types they are used to the open checking account and taking advantage of opportunities that it’s not an issue to them.

We got a 4 day weekend every month while in garrison. So of course I made sure every week was full. I also took care of my enablers assigned. They stayed at a digital/signal master gunner or foundry attending some courses even doing. Even that space enabler training.

Yes is a lazy staff issue. The money is there especially in the GWOT era You can't turn in money so I wonder what it gets spent on?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I definitely never had an issue with the users they were always the easiest to discharge. Most of the other ones required a shyt ton of paperwork and appointments. A druggie was easy. Long term awols weren’t an issue neither it’s those ones who leave and come back quickly that are the issues.
I remember we had a dude got AWOL for about 30 days

Dude snuck on post just to get to the cafeteria and got caught :mjlol: before taking off he told everyone he was going to be a professional poker player

Abraxus

All Star
Daps
out of curiosity why do you say that? I assume those units can sharpen my skills because they are considered the best units. Am I misguided?

I have mixed feelings on it because there are great schools and units that’ll teach you all of that an more but all units don’t have the historical prestige of of certain other numbered units. For example the 820th SFS group to me, in my opinion are a bunch of idiots. I’d never want to work with them even though they had the same capability as my CRG. You follow your instincts though. The X factor is you. How you absorb the knowledge, apply it and pass it on. I’ve met plenty of bags of ass from elite units and I’ve met chainsaws with eyeballs

Abraxus

All Star
Daps

We think alike. The worst for us was the guys and gals who wanted to go to special schools but basically just hung out. Couldn’t pass intro requirements, honestly didn’t have no heart. So before we sent anybody we did in house training with em. They fail that, nope lol go sit down. Guy wanted to be a Ranger but was afraid of the water. CC asked me is he ready for pre Ranger which is basically Ranger school I said no. Water is terrifying him. She said well let’s send him anyway. Lo and behold he failed because of the water.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
We think alike. The worst for us was the guys and gals who wanted to go to special schools but basically just hung out. Couldn’t pass intro requirements, honestly didn’t have no heart. So before we sent anybody we did in house training with em. They fail that, nope lol go sit down. Guy wanted to be a Ranger but was afraid of the water. CC asked me is he ready for pre Ranger which is basically Ranger school I said no. Water is terrifying him. She said well let’s send him anyway. Lo and behold he failed because of the water.
would they be clowned for coming back without a tab?

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps

How has the culture affected you? For example I adopted the Low viz üniform that GB's wear off duty exclusively The Ball cap with the cuts to hold your sunglasses (I used to think they were unecessary til I was issued ballistic Oakley's) Either a Performance T like Under armor or a 5.11 Polo or a "tactical" Rothco Hoodie. And either 5.11 stryke pants or solid color Crye field Pants with ex officio draws and Darn Tough socks and Salomon shoes.

To this day I wear Vibram 5 finer toe shoes in the gym, I also carry a Glock 19 everytime I'm in the states. Dudes on my team wore ankle medical kits and operator bands and carried their. keys in a climbing rated carabiner. The funny thing is dudes really think that's Low Viz, You look funny walking around Georgia Avenue in DC dressed like that.