Mike - Official Trailer (Mike Tyson Biopic Series on Hulu)

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
wow I had such “strong” opinions about the desiree washington case at the time that I held onto for years…keeping in mind I was 16/17 when it happened smh

*edit*

oh wow…I was heavy into the nation when this happened…never saw farrakhan speak live but I did see khalid muhammad speak on several occasions and did see farrakhan speak on satellite TV at the mosque on savior’s day a couple times…I’m pretty sure I heard this “message” at some point…definitely explains why I was so opinionated about it despite my limited experience in the world

Last edited:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
wow I had such “strong” opinions about the desiree washington case at the time that I held onto for years…keeping in mind I was 16/17 when it happened smh

*edit*

oh wow…I was heavy into the nation when this happened…never saw farrakhan speak live but I did see khalid muhammad speak on several occasions and did see farrakhan speak on satellite TV at the mosque on savior’s day a couple times…I’m pretty sure I heard this “message” at some point…definitely explains why I was so opinionated about it despite my limited experience in the world
If you don't mind me asking what are your opinions of the case now compared to when you were 16/17

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you don't mind me asking what are your opinions of the case now compared to when you were 16/17

I wasn’t in that room so I don’t have any real opinion worth sharing…at my younger age tho I was quick to defend mike cuz he was a boxer I liked and I held that opinion for a long time with nothing factual to support it…I was part of the “what was she doing in his room at 2AM?” crowd back then…now I will say her age, her naivety, his wealth/power at the time, him admitting to being molested and my knowledge of his sexual exploits make it difficult for me to continue to solely believe she was just some money-grubbing “ho” out for self as anything could’ve happened in that room…I was just more so reflecting on how long I held my initial opinion…this is probably my first time really thinking about the case/what transpired as an adult

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Episode 5 is making me uncomfortable as fukk.

I have to say when I was growing there were alot of black women who were not believed when they went to court even by other black women. (this was fukked up) Ex. Anita Hill, Desiree Washington etc.
:picard:

QBN

All Star
Daps
I’m the best ever. I’m the most brutal, vicious, and most ruthless champion there’s ever been.
There’s no one can stop me! Lennox is a conqueror? No. I’m Alexander. He’s no Alexander. I’m the best ever. There’s never been anybody as ruthless. I’m Sonny Liston. I’m Jack Dempsey. There’s no one like me. I’m from their cloth. There’s no one that can match me. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable. And I’m just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children! Praise be to Allah!”
One of the best, most memorable, boxing promos ever.

QBN

All Star
Daps
Tyson had a documentary that came out a few years back. He was adamant that he never raped Desiree Washington and you could see the anger in him when they brought it up. Episode 5 was entirely on a "believe all women" vibe and there was no ambiguity or doubt at all over an incident that is very disputed to this day. I thought the producers would have made it so the viewer feels conflict and some doubt about whether Mike raped her or not, but this episode was straight up "Mike is a rapist". :patrice:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Tyson had a documentary that came out a few years back. He was adamant that he never raped Desiree Washington and you could see the anger in him when they brought it up. Episode 5 was entirely on a "believe all women" vibe and there was no ambiguity or doubt at all over an incident that is very disputed to this day. I thought the producers would have made it so the viewer feels conflict and some doubt about whether Mike raped her or not, but this episode was straight up "Mike is a rapist". :patrice:

Thanks ima skip that episode

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
there was no ambiguity or doubt at all over an incident that is very disputed to this day.
By WHO? The same ashy Negroes screaming Free R. Kelly claiming Bill Cosby was going to buy NBC?

I just want to know what moron thought it was a good idea for Mike Tyson to testify. Had he remained silent as his trial, he might have gotten off.

QBN

All Star
Daps
By WHO? The same ashy Negroes screaming Free R. Kelly claiming Bill Cosby was going to buy NBC?

I just want to know what moron thought it was a good idea for Mike Tyson to testify. Had he remained silent as his trial, he might have gotten off.
By who? Mike for one, and the thousands of people - of all colors - who support him and how he turned his life around. When people see him in public they flock to him to this day. They don't see him as a "rapist" and many people believe he was falsely convicted for a crime he didn't commit. It's certainly not uncommon for Black men to be falsely convicted in the American legal system. The other people you mentioned had multiple victims/accusers over several years.

Not trying to argue his guilt or innocence as it's a question of belief at this point. But as a TV show, to portray it as "fact" that he raped Desiree is low, biased, and irresponsible. As a viewer, it completely turns me off from the main character (which perhaps was the producers intention). It would be like doing a show about O.J Simpson's life story and then portraying him killing his ex-wife as if it were "fact".

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea and this is why I agree with Mike being pissed about Hulu doing this without his consent. That episode has the potential to open up the Pandora’s box of that case again. That episode definitely made him look more sinister. I know you say Mike was adamant but at the same time this happened in a time where he was doing drugs and drinking all the time so who knows what the truth to that situation.

QBN

All Star
Daps
Yea and this is why I agree with Mike being pissed about Hulu doing this without his consent. That episode has the potential to open up the Pandora’s box of that case again. That episode definitely made him look more sinister. I know you say Mike was adamant but at the same time this happened in a time where he was doing drugs and drinking all the time so who knows what the truth to that situation.
True...and because we don't really know the truth I feel the producers were irresponsible and biased against Mike in that episode.

Episode 5 felt like a whole different show. It was done entirely from Desiree's perspective and presented as fact that Mike raped her. If anyone recalls the Tyson movie from the 90's with Michael Jai-White, I believe they showed Mike going up to the hotel room with Desiree and then the door closes. It then skips forward to the aftermath, if I recall correctly. That movie was ambigous as to what actually happened that night. I expected something similar in this show and I was shocked and disappointed that Hulu chose to graphically portray Mike as a rapist.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True...and because we don't really know the truth I feel the producers were irresponsible and biased against Mike in that episode.

Episode 5 felt like a whole different show. It was done entirely from Desiree's perspective and presented as fact that Mike raped her. If anyone recalls the Tyson movie from the 90's with Michael Jai-White, I believe they showed Mike going up to the hotel room with Desiree and then the door closes. It then skips forward to the aftermath, if I recall correctly. That movie was ambigous as to what actually happened that night. I expected something similar in this show and I was shocked and disappointed that Hulu chose to graphically portray Mike as a rapist.
Yup. Until this episode Mike came off as sympathetic. The Deseree episode made Mike look like a straight up villain

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
By who? Mike for one, and the thousands of people - of all colors - who support him and how he turned his life around.

...and? OJ turned his damn life around, too.

Though I agree that the responsible thing would have been a fade to black, the simple truth is that this ass-licking miniseries actually makes Mike even MORE guilty than he already looked. Why shouldn't Desiree's point of view and version of events be presented? We've heard Mike's version all our damn lives, and not once has he said anything that suggests that he was innocent.

Hell, I think that in his heart, Mike honestly doesn't think he did anything wrong, probably had no intentions of hurting her, and wouldn't understand why if you paid him. I believe it was ESPN's Sportscentury when someone said that Mike wrote him a letter that denied he raped Desiree, but admitted that he had done things even worse and he deserved to be where he was. It's a really good watch.