Microsoft vs Sony; who can afford to hold out longest regarding price announcement?

tjax03

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Leave them damn consoles to the kids and babies and step up to a real man's system in the PC.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Microsoft = The Long Game

The goal is to blur the lines of PC/Xbox/Mobile to where it becomes a singular platform. The idea of winning the living room has moved on because we as people don't always consume media in our living room. Wherever you have a screen, they want to reach you at. As long as you can provide content when and where people want it, that's all that matters. Microsoft is going to beat Sony to that eventual destination by quite a bit. That is the next frontier of gaming. I don't like the idea of a digital only future but I'm just one man that sees the inevitability of it.
I would say Microsoft realized they can't play the same game Sony does. That freed them to think outside the box. Gamepass and xCloud were born from that freedom. Business models that somewhat differ from what Sony is doing (xCloud not so much) where they can dominate at.

It's clear that Microsoft's goal is to reach a point where they don't have to sell you a proprietary box to sell you software. Sony's goal is still to sell you that proprietary box.

The best innovations from these companies come from the generations they get put on their ass. The modern Sony we enjoy today was really defined on the PS3 when their sales suffered due to their arrogance. Modern Nintendo thinking outside the box was after they were humbled by Sony also for arrogance. Gamepass and xCloud were from the PS4 handing the Xbox One it's ass causing Microsoft to think differently.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I would say Microsoft realized they can't play the same game Sony does. That freed them to think outside the box. Gamepass and xCloud were born from that freedom. Business models that somewhat differ from what Sony is doing (xCloud not so much) where they can dominate at.

It's clear that Microsoft's goal is to reach a point where they don't have to sell you a proprietary box to sell you software. Sony's goal is still to sell you that proprietary box.

The best innovations from these companies come from the generations they get put on their ass. The modern Sony we enjoy today was really defined on the PS3 when their sales suffered due to their arrogance. Modern Nintendo thinking outside the box was after they were humbled by Sony also for arrogance. Gamepass and xCloud were from the PS4 handing the Xbox One it's ass causing Microsoft to think differently.

I think it was both, Microsoft was looking always looking for a way to become more of a household name. Not just the "Big bad computer company" that its pretty much still has the stigma of.... From their phones to the media players they just never seem to be able to break through to mass appeal, Xbox was an attempt at this and truthfully it's 1st successful attempt and with that they wanted to try to push the boundaries more and make it not just a gaming experience but your media and entertainment experience.

Problem is 1) They pushed that way to soon, and 2) they didn't really have an ecosystem to invest into like that of apple with itunes or sony. Hotmail is a joke, and everything else they use is pretty much associated with business not gaming and on top of that they are still looked at as the big bad guys of mulit billion companies for some reason.

I think with phil taking over and this gen he's tried to meet in the middle, being a gamer himself you can see some of his heavy influence and while on one end his PR for hype is TERRIBLE his actual PR for up coming information and laying out road maps for years and foresight on where gaming is headed is SPOT on. Like you said I think they realize they can't and probably shouldn't try to play the same game as sony. Sony has to much goodwill and too many connects throughout the industry they are cemented in what they are doing.

So the next best thing is to go back to focusing on what they do best and that's software and enduser integration and creating seamless experiences and power and not skimp on those things. This goes all the way back around to creating an ecosystem. Gamepass and being able to play games "anywhere" as well as back compat of all your old games is the ecosystem they are growing and as it develops more people are going to be locked in... All these 1st party companies they recently acquired in the next 4-5 years should only make that ecosystem stronger.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hilarious that both of these companies have run out of ideas and have no video games to launch their consoles with so all they can compete with is playing chicken on the price point.

These companies? Sony has no video games? Huh? :dwillhuh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The best innovations from these companies come from the generations they get put on their ass.
Disagree. The PS1 and PS2 were always hailed as the "best" Sony generation and they weren't put on their ass by anyone so to speak. PS3 only suffered due to price. If PS3 came out cheaper nobody would've said they got humbled by MSFT and had to one up them with the PS4.

Series X isn't really innovative itself either as It's just a more powerful version of the Xbox One X architecturally. It's still the same Xbox controller, UI, games etc. from what they showed us.

The only "innovative" player is Nintendo since they always changing their output every generation.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Microsoft = The Long Game

The goal is to blur the lines of PC/Xbox/Mobile to where it becomes a singular platform. The idea of winning the living room has moved on because we as people don't always consume media in our living room. Wherever you have a screen, they want to reach you at. As long as you can provide content when and where people want it, that's all that matters. Microsoft is going to beat Sony to that eventual destination by quite a bit. That is the next frontier of gaming. I don't like the idea of a digital only future but I'm just one man that sees the inevitability of it.
Someone’s been reading Microsoft PR brochures :mjlol:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
All things equal Microsoft will never outsell Sony. They have in fact never outsold them. They have also almost never taken them on at equal footing either.

PS3 comes out with an excessive price a year later and by the end of the generation it still outsold the 360 globally.

Xbox One comes out with an excessive price at the same time and by the end of the generation it was beaten so bad Microsoft decided to hide the sales numbers on their reports but we know the One likely didn't sell more than half what the PS4 did.

The only time Microsoft had any real success against Sony is when they got a product out a year in advance and had a huge price advantage that they maintained most of the generation.

The PlayStation brand is too strong and the market wants to converge to a single brand. The Xbox brand has a limited appeal in both regions globally and the types of games it can attract and sell. That's why Sony can get some 3rd party exclusive games simply for the fact that the Xbox crowd is completely uninterested in them.

Nothing you've said has discretided anything I've said.

Breh you are just parroting everything you’ve heard from every YouTuber who comments on consoles wars. You don’t have the knowledge base to continue this conversation you cant identify intrinsics, purchase parity power, or verticals.

You see this in as black and white as numbers from ad hominem units sold where numbers don’t matter in a race that close.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Disagree. The PS1 and PS2 were always hailed as the "best" Sony generation and they weren't put on their ass by anyone so to speak. PS3 only suffered due to price. If PS3 came out cheaper nobody would've said they got humbled by MSFT and had to one up them with the PS4.

Series X isn't really innovative itself either as It's just a more powerful version of the Xbox One X architecturally. It's still the same Xbox controller, UI, games etc. from what they showed us.

The only "innovative" player is Nintendo since they always changing their output every generation.
Sony heavily relied on third party games in both the PS1 and PS2 era. They had their own games but it wasn't quite like it is now with the stable of in-house AAA exclusives people boast about from them. In the PS3 era Sony pivoted away from third party exclusives to them making their own big games. I think their development studios gained more freedom and trust to branch out in that generation.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Breh you are just parroting everything you’ve heard from every YouTuber who comments on consoles wars. You don’t have the knowledge base to continue this conversation you cant identify intrinsics, purchase parity power, or verticals.

You see this in as black and white as numbers from ad hominem units sold where numbers don’t matter in a race that close.
Except I'm not. People are creatures of habit and without a catalyst tend to be brand loyal. Unless the brand holder does something to damage their goodwill for the most part people will remain loyal. In the history of console games there's only been a couple times a company damaged their own goodwill to the point another company could seize on it and take market leadership.

None of that is YouTube commentary. It's basic human behavior.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
I’m afraid this is more to due with production issues than playing chicken with retail prices

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m afraid this is more to due with production issues than playing chicken with retail prices

Sony already said they are making 10 million consoles first 6 or so months, so no.

Tbh I think its marketing and keeping people engaged up to release.