Microsoft vs Sony; who can afford to hold out longest regarding price announcement?

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Honestly I don't mind. In today's world with social media whatever they do will be torn down or forgotten in a week.

Might as well drop the info right before it's out so it goes viral, they do the same think with albums now with big artist dropping surprise release dates

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
Ask Sony how being in the red during PS3 era worked out for them. I guess y’all just read and repeat narratives online and run with them...

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Where was all that money when they priced the Xbox One X at $499 even though the Pro was $399?
Xbox One X selling at a loss

And the purpose or idea of making the one x was not only to make it the most powerful console but to do revolutionary things on the backwards compatibility side. Virtually turning older games into remasters. The design is important because they used everything they learned from the one x and applied that to the series x. Gears 5 native 4k/120 is possible because Xbox engineers been mastered 4k/60 with the one x. Meanwhile Sony doesn't seem to have mastered that on any level.

Now the series x will be the same price so stop living in the past :umad:
stop speaking common sense....
Sorry, can't do that you ghat damn casual :handshake:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Microsoft is going to match or undercut whatever Sony does and then amplify the strength differences between the two consoles while either being the same price or cheaper. I don't know if that will mean much in the grand scheme of things but I know that is what Microsoft will do. As a market leader, I don't know why Sony hasn't gone. The price is going to be what its going to be. Just put it out and then get undercut. It's going to happen.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Where was all that money when they priced the Xbox One X at $499 even though the Pro was $399?

Why would you subsidize a mid-gen refresh? The story for the generation was largely written at that point. That's dumb business. Do it at the beginning. The XSX blades for X-Cloud, part of the reason I'm getting a new Samsung Galaxy Tab S7, the console is the most powerful, Microsoft subsidizing Game Pass. The money or as we like to say, the fabled warchest is at work now. Some of the future growth projections for Microsoft are expected to go through the gaming division. Nadella sees the Xbox division as one of potential to growth. That's why the content matters. It's why with the influsion of Microsoft money at the end, InXile was able to make the greatest game they've ever made in Wasteland 3, they had the money now. It's why all of their studios are hiring like crazy and have been for quite some time. For example.

Playground Games hiring more than 150 developers, possibly assembling team for new project

The studio recently posted over 150 jobs (177 to be exact) at their LinkedIn, hiring everyone from Concept artists to Producers to Audio Programmers. This essentially means they’re cooking up a whole new team, probably for a brand new project.

Hellblade 2 Dev Team is Twice as Big as First Game's

Ninja Theory reveals that the development team for Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 will be twice as big as the team that made the first game. It suggests that Hellblade 2, which was announced for the Xbox Series X at The Game Awards 2019, could offer fans a much longer and bigger experience than Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

inXile to Grow 30% in Size After Microsoft's Acquisition, Will Get to Decide the Games They're Making

In the short-term we talk about increasing it 30 per cent or so. We're not trying to become multi-hundred-person teams but just filling the holes we've been desperately wanting to: having a full-time audio person, having a full-time lighting person, having a cinematics person - these things that could help us improve what we're doing.

You don't do this without money, lots of it. They are doing this across all of their studios, while still paying others like Asobo to make games like Flight Simulator or Splash Damage for Gears Tactics. Time will tell if they will be successful but the money outlay that is out there ain't cheap. I've said it and I'll continue to say it. They got out of their fukking way. Ballmer was the worst CEO for Microsoft because he never fully believed in it. I will give him his due though, he manned up and swallowed the 1 billion dollar hit on the red ring. That was on his shoulders.

That said, Ballmer never put out press releases or tweets like this for Halo

Microsoft document signals it’s ‘continuing to invest in new games studios’ | VGC

We acquired quite a few new studios in a short amount of time, and we want to make sure that those studios are on-boarded in the right way,” Spencer told GamesIndustry.biz in June. “As Matt and I were talking about it, we just wanted to make sure that we treated the incoming studios as full parts of the organisation. That they felt supported.

The Game Pass portfolio and subscriber base continues to grow. We’re launching a new console. Last year was our biggest year ever on PC in terms of revenue as Xbox Game Studios. A lot of the business is doing really well, so we’re always in the market for new opportunities with studios.

“The first priority was making sure the studios had the things that they needed to build the best versions of their games,” Spencer continued. “That means extending some of the timelines, and giving them more budgets.

How much Microsoft throws at this gen? Who knows. My point is whatever they do spend, it will be, in comparison to prior generation output from them, substantial and it will be with purpose. They need content for Game Pass and they need consoles and other devices to put this stuff on. Microsoft is going to eat some of that cost for the XSX to make it cheaper.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Nvidia came and crushed the buildings.

I wish they would hurry up already I had bread set aside for both consoles. I’ve been waiting to play FF7R and other titles this years with faster/consistent frame rates.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lol the Xbox one X was released in 2017 which was three years ago. Three years is still a long time with an affordable price to eat into Sony’s lead. They could easily have priced it at $350. Also If money means nothing to them, why was the original Xbox One more expensive than the PS4?

And lol at using buying studios as proof that money means nothing to them. Sony has also bought studios; lots of them so I guess that means they also have unlimited money :mjlol:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
But if they got so much money and can easily afford to offset costs, then Kinect shouldn’t matter should it?
it's more that they thought that dumb shyt would justify the cost. they thought people would pay more because it came with a 'game changing' device, but no one wanted that shyt

ZILFIN

Daps
It's been said in here before, Sony has nothing to gain in this little price charade with Microsoft, they're basically trolling them right now because no matter what, PS5's going to outsell the Xbox even if the PS5 costs a little more.