Microsoft Has Purchased ZeniMax Media, Parent to Bethesda Softworks and More

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
:hhh::hhh::hhh: this is a horrible situation... :snoop: now I might have to get an xbox JUST to play Elder Scrolls 6?!!?

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
what about 343? didnt that happen under phils nose? he needs to crack the whip or youll end up with a sequel to fallout 76

Halo hasn't come out yet, and may still be great :ld:

If you look at MS recent acquisitions, damn near all of them are known for high quality games. Double Fine; Obsidian, Playground, and Ninja Theory have realised nothing but 80+ rated games on Metacritic. :hubie:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Bethseda has been garbage for years who cares. Can't wait for skyrim super ultimate next gen edition on the new xbox.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Congrats to Microsoft. This is a huge get for them, and ultimately may benefit the experience in Bethesda games going forward, assuming that a lot of their aggressive monetization was driven by Zenimax. The fact that they were open to this sale in the first place would perhaps suggest that, but to be fair, offers of $7.5 billion aren't just coming in every day.

Plenty of questions here, though.

1: If they paid $7.5 bil for Zenimax and ALL their studios, what the fukk was Bungie asking for? I remember reading a week or two ago that they wanted to buy Bungie back, along with Destiny 2, but allegedly the cost was too high.

2: Microsoft will probably honor all previous publishing deals they have for games already in development (Deathloop, for example). But it'll be interesting to see what they seem necessary to hold to just PC/XBox.

3: With Gamepass such a focus, are we sure they even want to make any of those games exclusive? It'd be one hell of a selling point to say that buyers can either pay for the game outright on other platforms, or just get it day and date on Gamepass.

4: Are we close to entering a period similar to music where a subscription model is the primary way to monetarily get customers engaged? That could be a whole different set of problems, as musicians are very up front with the fact that the actual music is making them less money than ever before. Microtransactions are already a nuisance that many studios need to return acceptable profits, what's that look like when they're not guaranteed a huge wave of $60 purchases in the first couple of months?

5: When does the Gamepass model become unsustainable? I know that Microsoft is making a ton of money off of it now, but they've just taken on a metric fukkton of production budgets with all the stuff these studios are working on. Also, the purchase was cash, so they won't need to be as drastic as most other companies when it comes to bringing coats down post sale, but they'll still probably need to level the books out a little bit. It'll be interesting to see who ends up leaving.
This is actually a valid concern.

I am worried as well. I had this thought if like a "behind the music" type episode detailing the rise and fall of the good will that game pass generates.

Xbox and studios smiling today...but shyt and relationships could get ugly quick.

Like, I'm wondering how the numbers look for a Bethesda like company to look at the Xbox model and be like..."yes, that can get us a good profit"

Actually on some business or MBA shyt...I really want to peel back the layers on this.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Halo hasn't come out yet, and may still be great :ld:

If you look at MS recent acquisitions, damn near all of them are known for high quality games. Double Fine; Obsidian, Playground, and Ninja Theory have realised nothing but 80+ rated games on Metacritic. :hubie:

hoping for the best. just hope this isnt another rare situation

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
:dahell: doom eternal one of the best games this year

I know I'm in the minority but I don't fukk with shooters at all so Bethseda and their buggy wrpgs all they have for me :hubie:

I'll take the L on that though, doom does seem to be popular in these screets.