Microsoft Has Purchased ZeniMax Media, Parent to Bethesda Softworks and More

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I think this will be similar to the Minecraft thing where they are still mostly multi-platform or timed exclusive. Microsoft will just eat off the publishing of selling it on a sony console instead. Also exclusive features on xbox.

This also explains why Microsoft didn’t buy bungie or wb games
I hope it's this.

I wouldn't want to keep other platforms from getting good games....

To be able to say all of Bethesda games are DAY ONE and free on GAME PASS when games will be 70$ is the biggest fukking win here for Xbox nikkas.

@MeachTheMonster @O.T.I.S. @Mad good research @Mad good research @TripleAgent @The Mad Titan

nikkas about to eat.:picard:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Well this stops Sony moneyhatting a ton of games.

And at least with MS I know they wont be locking all those games behind their system. Unlike Sony.

MS has basically told Sony behave yourself and you may get some of these games
Basically :mjlol:

Microsoft telling them they better behave themselves from here on out:ufdup:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
Your comprehension doesn’t make sense. I can’t make you comprehend it.

If you simply buy shyt without proper management...you end up like RARE.

How’d RARE turn out for MS?

How’d Nokia turn out for MS phone division???
:mjlol:

Lost BILLIONS!!!
For every failed MS project I’m sure I could name one for Sony and Nintendo too. All major corporations have missteps but I see you’re emotional and overlooking that. :francis:

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
thats the track record before the acquisition. things may go well, or there may be another rare situation.

Phil is basically letting these studios do what they want and take their time. :hubie:

Avowed(Obsidian) will be a GOTY candidate in 2022 or 2023, the same for Hellblade 2. :hubie:

This isn't the same Xbox, Uncle Phil got us :hubie:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Phil is basically letting these studios do what they want and take their time. :hubie:

Avowed(Obsidian) will be a GOTY candidate in 2022 or 2023, the same for Hellblade 2. :hubie:

This isn't the same Xbox, Uncle Phil got us :hubie:

what about 343? didnt that happen under phils nose? he needs to crack the whip or youll end up with a sequel to fallout 76

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Congrats to Microsoft. This is a huge get for them, and ultimately may benefit the experience in Bethesda games going forward, assuming that a lot of their aggressive monetization was driven by Zenimax. The fact that they were open to this sale in the first place would perhaps suggest that, but to be fair, offers of $7.5 billion aren't just coming in every day.

Plenty of questions here, though.

1: If they paid $7.5 bil for Zenimax and ALL their studios, what the fukk was Bungie asking for? I remember reading a week or two ago that they wanted to buy Bungie back, along with Destiny 2, but allegedly the cost was too high.

2: Microsoft will probably honor all previous publishing deals they have for games already in development (Deathloop, for example). But it'll be interesting to see what they seem necessary to hold to just PC/XBox.

3: With Gamepass such a focus, are we sure they even want to make any of those games exclusive? It'd be one hell of a selling point to say that buyers can either pay for the game outright on other platforms, or just get it day and date on Gamepass.

4: Are we close to entering a period similar to music where a subscription model is the primary way to monetarily get customers engaged? That could be a whole different set of problems, as musicians are very up front with the fact that the actual music is making them less money than ever before. Microtransactions are already a nuisance that many studios need to return acceptable profits, what's that look like when they're not guaranteed a huge wave of $60 purchases in the first couple of months?

5: When does the Gamepass model become unsustainable? I know that Microsoft is making a ton of money off of it now, but they've just taken on a metric fukkton of production budgets with all the stuff these studios are working on. Also, the purchase was cash, so they won't need to be as drastic as most other companies when it comes to bringing coats down post sale, but they'll still probably need to level the books out a little bit. It'll be interesting to see who ends up leaving.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
  1. 343 Industries: Halo Infinite
  2. Arkane Studios SASU: Deathloop, Dishonored, Prey
  3. Bethesda Game Studios: The Elder Scrolls, Fallout
  4. The Coalition: Gears of War franchise
  5. Compulsion Games: Contrast, We Happy Few
  6. Double Fine Productions: Broken Age, Psychonauts 2, Headlander, Costume Quest, Grim Fandango Remastered
  7. The Initiative: working on AAA game, rumoured to be Perfect Dark
  8. id Software: Doom
  9. inXile Entertainment: Wasteland 3, The Bard's Tale franchise
  10. MachineGames: Wolfenstein
  11. Mojang Studios: Minecraft
  12. Ninja Theory: Hellblade 2, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
  13. Obsidian Entertainment: The Outer Worlds, Avowed, Grounded
  14. Playground Games: Fable, Forza Horizon franchise
  15. Rare: Sea of Thieves, Everwild
  16. Tango Gameworks: The Evil Within, Ghostwire: Tokyo
  17. Turn10 Studios: Forza Motorsport franchise
  18. Undead Labs: State of Decay franchise
  19. World's Edge: Age of Empires franchise
  20. Xbox Game Studios Publishing: Battletoads, Flight SImulator, Ori, Tell Me Why, in other words, 2nd-party publishing deals
This list is kinda wrong they have 23+ you consolidated some studios. For example arkane has 3 studios