Microsoft Buying Activision Blizzard.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Seems like it was more of a messaging hiccup to consumers than a failure.

MS was forward thinking and moving too fast with their ideas. The Kinect and the Always On methodology got bad press because MS was already seen as the big bad corporation and they generally suck at marketing compared to the likes of Sony or Apple
90% of games these days are always online.

Sony themselves has a discless console.

Microsoft was just early
Kinect was nice.. I had one. Still have it at my mom's house so the kids can play. But now they bought themselves an Oculus. They'd have never done that if not for the Kinect. My son has had PSVR since it came out. That was directly related to trying to outdo the kinect.

But I don't know what either one of you are talking about saying "always on" is forward thinking. Yes my shyt is hooked up to internet 24/7 already. But the fact that they were really going to tell you, you MUST sign in every 48 hours or you can't even play the games you bought.. It wasn't just digital. If you didn't sign in, you couldn't even play disc games... Can't trade any games I bought... I can't even give away discs to my son...

Nah they fukked themselves there. They could have simply not done that, everyone would be connected anyway, and none of the focus would be on that. Nobody was asking for that and people don't like being told what to do, even while doing it.

None of these games REQUIRE you to check in every so often. They wouldn't even dream of bringing that shyt back

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Ngl now that xbox owns like 50 11 studios wouldn't be mad if they supported vr

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I disagree completely. M$ was chilling and happy with their cut, but nikkas were dogging them left and right for 5+ years straight.

You'd be a fool to think they don't pay attention to that. There's an entire generation of gamers who are adverse to Xbox. It's akin to how people view iPhones vs Androids. You don't think Samsung pays attention to the stigma that the average person places on their phones? That's ridiculous. If they had "fukk you" money like Microsoft they'd flip the script in a heartbeat.
I'm not saying they never listen to the public. I'm saying that the public asking MS to put out better games, is not solved by them buying companies that put out multiplat games. If they wanted to appease people, they'd have put their money behind building a better console. Making better games. Buying Sony's exclusive gaming companies and getting the games they don't already have.

Instead, they are just buying up all the companies, putting out the exact same games they'd have if they didn't buy the company (multiplat) and telling you "Now we got games."

Were you, as an Xbox owner, going to get COD on your console for the next 10 years? Yes.. Are you going to get it now? Yes... Did you get anymore games you didn't have?

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I think ur overestimating who gives a shyt about those single player exclusives and underestimating how many people care about Cod. If cod goes exclusive Xbox, I can see PlayStation losing atleast 25% of their player base to Xbox.

I don't know about that, but I see the install base gap, whatever it is by then, shrinking massively.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Ngl now that xbox owns like 50 11 studios wouldn't be mad if they supported vr

Interesting enough, they own altspace vr and they're finally working on something for consoles with 1 vs 100. Would be nice to see them port altspace and have vr work like windows with a bunch of supported headsets and options

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
But the fact that they were really going to tell you, you MUST sign in every 48 hours or you can't even play the games you bought.

Stop it. You’ve never gamed without internet since the 360/PS3 era.

They also talked about using your phone to authenticate if need be.

“Always online” complaints were never rooted in reality. Sony stans were just in hyperdrive thanks to Mattrick. nikkas were vouching for the ability to game on submarines and desolate islands. :dead:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'm not saying they never listen to the public. I'm saying that the public asking MS to put out better games, is not solved by them buying companies that put out multiplat games. If they wanted to appease people, they'd have put their money behind building a better console. Making better games. Buying Sony's exclusive gaming companies and getting the games they don't already have.

Instead, they are just buying up all the companies, putting out the exact same games they'd have if they didn't buy the company (multiplat) and telling you "Now we got games."

Were you, as an Xbox owner, going to get COD on your console for the next 10 years? Yes.. Are you going to get it now? Yes... Did you get anymore games you didn't have?

Well that's a part of the plan also, they working on shyt like Perfect Dark and all that, but they could put out 10/10 reviewed Perfect Darks and Fables but that's not gonna convince people to buy Xbox, a lot of PS users will dismiss that. Securing CoD is a different type of power move.

Going back to that iPhone example, one thing a lot of people hold over Android users is FaceTime. Both iPhone and Android can video chat, but people still tout FaceTime in particular as a W. If CoD goes exclusive, this is basically removing FaceTime and making it Android only. Do you think people will still feel the way they do about Androids if they are the only phone that can video chat? I don't think they do, they'll put more respect on Android's name.

Money is one thing, but this shyt feels like it's about respect at this point. :hubie:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

You seem to refuse to acknowledge the tribalism that exist in the console space. Them making better games as you put it won't tip the scales in their favor because people are content with their brand of choice. The only real time there's been a shift in the home console market is when the market leader ends up doing something stupid to alienate customers. Nintendo refusing CDs allowed Sony to become the market leader and Sony putting out a $600 console let Nintendo snatch it back for a single generation. You're not just going to quietly make quality games and establish a brand like that.

For 22 of the last 28 years Sony has held an overwhelming dominence in gaming. There's only the Wii generation that they weren't the market leader by far. That was also the generation Microsoft actually made a blip on the home console market with the 360 because Sony messed up and put out a $600 console. Even that over the long term was reversed.

The only way Microsoft will ever get traction in the market is by purchasing notable IPs. Sony didn't get to establish themselves by just making good games. They got to incubate their brand while many 3rd parties pulled out from Nintendo and Sega. Those 3rd parties exclusively made games for PlayStation. They got 2 generations of their system being in many cases the exclusive home for most major 3rd party games.

Microsoft "making good games" just isn't enough to match Sony.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Kinect was nice.. I had one. Still have it at my mom's house so the kids can play. But now they bought themselves an Oculus. They'd have never done that if not for the Kinect. My son has had PSVR since it came out. That was directly related to trying to outdo the kinect.

But I don't know what either one of you are talking about saying "always on" is forward thinking. Yes my shyt is hooked up to internet 24/7 already. But the fact that they were really going to tell you, you MUST sign in every 48 hours or you can't even play the games you bought.. It wasn't just digital. If you didn't sign in, you couldn't even play disc games... Can't trade any games I bought... I can't even give away discs to my son...

Nah they fukked themselves there. They could have simply not done that, everyone would be connected anyway, and none of the focus would be on that. Nobody was asking for that and people don't like being told what to do, even while doing it.

None of these games REQUIRE you to check in every so often. They wouldn't even dream of bringing that shyt back
Messaging matters.

There's a difference in perception when you say, "You must sign-in every 48 hours to authenticate your games" compared to "In order to ensure the best user experience and to usher in the next generation of gaming connectivity we're recommending Xbox 360 users keep their consoles online for continuous support"

Also, the terminology is skewed. Anytime you go online with a game, there's a record of it on their servers, so you saying "checking in" is already a great example of how fukked up MS's messaging was during that launch. The data and record for our online activity is tied to our gamer tags and PSN names, so really what's standard today is what people went bat shyt crazy over when they were coming out with the 360.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
You seem to refuse to acknowledge the tribalism that exist in the console space. Them making better games as you put it won't tip the scales in their favor because people are content with their brand of choice. The only real time there's been a shift in the home console market is when the market leader ends up doing something stupid to alienate customers. Nintendo refusing CDs allowed Sony to become the market leader and Sony putting out a $600 console let Nintendo snatch it back for a single generation. You're not just going to quietly make quality games and establish a brand like that.

For 22 of the last 28 years Sony has held an overwhelming dominence in gaming. There's only the Wii generation that they weren't the market leader by far. That was also the generation Microsoft actually made a blip on the home console market with the 360 because Sony messed up and put out a $600 console. Even that over the long term was reversed.

The only way Microsoft will ever get traction in the market is by purchasing notable IPs. Sony didn't get to establish themselves by just making good games. They got to incubate their brand while many 3rd parties pulled out from Nintendo and Sega. Those 3rd parties exclusively made games for PlayStation. They got 2 generations of their system being in many cases the exclusive home for most major 3rd party games.

Its crazy that if MS STILL can't compete and make great games after this then im gonna be like:

EHigkFfVAAAVATV.jpg

:bryan:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

Exactly what I mean. You'll never convince PS loyalists to buy an Xbox even if you put out hit after hit after hit. The next Perfect Dark, Fable, Halo, Gears, etc could all be the greatest games of all time and that'll never convince a PS lifer to get an Xbox.

You start putting shyt like CoD, Elder Scrolls, 2k, Madden, etc on one console and watch how fast they buy Xbox. Hell, Street Fighter has never been exclusive to one console until last gen. They put SF on playstation only and now all of the fans fighting game genre play PlayStation. No one talks about that though.

Daps

Well said.