Microsoft Buying Activision Blizzard.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
World of Warcraft is on the decline. Overwatch is on slump, Diablo 4 got pushed back to 2023. I’m really interested to seeing how they can correct the ship at Blizzard.

That's what I'm most interested in. Activision Blizzard has a fukkton of valuable stuff, but a lot of their catalog is in a low spot right now. Here's hoping that this is the start of a turnaround.

CoD on GamePass. They keep selling it on Playstation

This is the most likely situation, seeing as the series sells double digit millions like clockwork. It'd be a bit silly to pass up the opportunity to eat off of Sony's plate. But let the stan fukkery cook, I guess.

I've no dog in this stan war shyt.

I fukk with both Sony and Microsoft but ugh this buying up all the companies arms race shyt is getting making me uncomfortable

Fanboys gonna fanboy...pop them bottles for your corporation. Have ya'll fun but this stuff feels weird to me.

Consolidation of the industry IS a major concern. Ultimately, if only a handful of companies are responsible for the majority of the heavy hitters that come out, we the consumers are ultimately the ones that lose put.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
It’s gonna stay multiplat guys. So it’s basically a Gamepass day one thing at this point. Still not feeling these acquisitions.

They said the same with Bethesda what they are saying is games such as Warzone Overwatch 1 etc.. will remain and be supported for multiplats

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
So let's do a rough estimate and say Sony consoles make up 60% of the cod player base (frankly it's probably more than that)

You are telling me MS is going to cut off that revenue stream just under the hopes, that maybe just maybe, a small percentage of them will switch to the Xbox ecosystem? I doubt it they didn't put down half their available cash just to brag, they expect a return long term. They aren't going to make the cod player base happy by alienating more than half of them. What happened last time MS alienated them? Sony became the face of COD (how many pros use xbox controllers? what is Scuf and Battle Beavers flagship controller?)

Maybe MS will make it exclusive but my gut tells me they won't.

Diablo, overwatch, starcraft etc. That's really a non issue to me console wise because those are largely PC centric games. No one is buying a console just to play diablo. If you are well lol. Cod is the only needle mover console wise.

One thing I am concerned about as a PC gamer is these future games being forced to run through MS's god awful gamepass launcher on PC and it's terrible windows implementation (just run halo through steam or through gamepass to see, or Doom, or Forza, or shyt any of them)

P.S. remember Xbots acting like Sony was evil for having timed map exclusives in Cod :russ:

Can we kill the hyperbole a little too? Xbox is still down 40 million consoles. There is no 'checkmate' or 'it's over' or nail in a coffin. Ya'll sound dumb. Ole ''here at microsoft we're a family'' ass company men.
It is tricky, I agree with that. CoD is more of a platform at this point (sort of like Minecraft). As for your last point, the last estimates put PS5 roughly ~1.5 mil ahead. :ehh: Last gen was a wash obviously but the PS3/360 were neck and neck. CoD is the best selling franchise of all time in the U.S. (3rd WW). None of how people are reacting is hyperbole.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They will. That's the whole point here. They're not buying these publishers (and their IPs) to make multi-platform games. They're doing it to make gamepass more attractive. You won't see any of those big tent-pole titles release on PS anymore after this. And that is a huge deal. Remember, Sony brings in a ton of revenue from being the place to play/buy/spend for numerous 3rd party titles. Losing that is going to have an effect, and it won't be positive. MS can shoulder that short-term loss from starving out the competition for future gains from being the premier place to play/spend.

I'm not being a fan here when I say this has horrible implications for the industry. People treating this like it's a good thing are being naive.
So you say the transition from one king in the market to another king is bad? Either way you're still getting ruled. Is your argument that Sony is a better king than Microsoft will be?

You have to remember Microsoft is pretty far back from Sony in 3rd place in revenue. If anything this will just help make that more competitive. The real impact of this is probably many years away regardless.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It is tricky, I agree with that. CoD is more of a platform at this point (sort of like Minecraft). As for your last point, the last estimates put PS5 roughly ~1.5 mil ahead. :ehh: Last gen was a wash obviously but the PS3/360 they were neck and neck. CoD is the best selling franchise of all time in the U.S. (3rd WW). None of how people are reacting is hyperbole.

Ps5 is way more than 1.5 mil up. The last sales estimate was 13.5 in september, theres an entire quarter of sales they haven’t reported, series is at 12m

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Muthafukkas literally buying exclusives vs making their own first party shyt. shyt is a disingenuous argument. U got people who don’t really give a fukk about this console war shyt at all that can potentially be affected by the acquisitions. I don’t like when any company moves in this way. Apple, Microsoft, Google, Sony. Etc etc.
Sony would have done it if they had the money.
MS and Sony have been buying studios left and right for years on end.
Every time Sony buys a studio it's celebrated on here as the next thing that's going to destroy Xbox.
Microsoft ups the ante and buys a powerhouse studio and NOW it's not fair?
Come on breh. If you personally don't like it I respect it, but I'm talking about this forum overall.
You can't celebrate buying devs and bragging about exclusives but when the competition does it on a higher level you cry about how unfair it is.
Activision/blizzard make a few notable games that console gamers care about: Call of Duty and Overwatch, and to a certain extent, diablo.
These games are NOT going to be xbox exclusives and even if they were, COD and Overwatch are the only shooters on the planet and it doesn't stop anyone from making great games of their own.
Maybe Sony shouldn't have blown their load on Gaikai and they would have the money to make money moves.