Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Nobody cares to argue logical fallacies and doom and gloom fantasies with you.

It stops when antitrust laws are broken
No answer, carry on then.

Not my fault you keep looking at this in the short term.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Yea, it's a slippery slope watching a Console maker buy up all these already consolidated publishers.

Zenimax, now Activision, where does it stop? That's the type of shyt these commissions have to look at when approving these deals.

3 months from now M$ can try to buy EA.

"But we're still in 3rd place, we don't have the market share. You approved it before, how is this different?"
Microsoft is still in the business of being profitable. Investors not gonna support that type of buying indefinitely in the console market.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Heck there's a report they were thinking about acquiring Square. I feel Sony is playing a dangerous game making deals to block Xbox. I don't think square games would move much on xbox, but I wouldn't want to risk Square skipping out on platform due to blocking xbox releases

Square didnt even get a chance to sell on Xbox. PS block those chances

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is like saying soda and fruit juice are in a different market.

They appeal to different people for different reasons but ultimately they share the same market
Just because two products are in the same market doesn't mean they're competing with each other. If they pursue different consumer demographics inside that market and have different target audiences sales of one don't come at the expense of the other.

Barbie and Transformers are both toys so part of the same market. The target demographics are entirely different. They aren't really competing with each other. He-Man and GI-Joe kinda exist in the same target demographic.

The FTC is inarticulately trying to make the point that Nintendo isn't necessarily directly competing the way Sony and Microsoft are.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Not square, but Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon flopped when it comes to exclusive Xbox rpgs.

Last edited:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
How the fukk could i answer some random shyt you made up in your head.:dwillhuh:

If/when Microsoft makes a purchase that breaches anti-trust law, they will have to answer for it.
So M$ hasn't spent near 100b on purchasing studios over the last few years?

This is their new business plan.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm sorry, I was wrong. The mention of a potential acquisition was speculation from an antitrust lawyer. What "Project Phoenix" actually entails is redacted.

The FTC exhibit list for today. Some higlights:

- Microsoft's approach following acquisitions since 2018 (Feb 2022)
- Thoughts on Google Stadia Announcement (March 2019)
- Bethesda titles on Geforce Now (March 2021)
- PC Gaming streaming roadmap (July 2020)
- xCloud solution only (April 2022)
- Starfield as an Xbox exclusive (June 2021)
- Sony's Game Pass (March 2022)
- Project Denali comms and press release; it was the ABK acquisition (January 2022)
- Project Zipline - Zynga strategy approval; from the CMA final report we know that MS tried to acquire a mobile publisher, I guess that it was Zynga (August 2021)
- Microsoft's commitment to ABK games on Playstation post merger; includes a "Sony letter agreement.PDF" (January and August 2022)
- Project Phoenix - "Request for Strategy Approval - Square Enix v7" - Phoenix Support materials"; a special agreement/potential acquisition of Square Enix? 🤔 (January 2020)
- Fallout 76 on PS Now (September 2021)
- Ori and the Blind Forest coming to Switch (August 2019)
- Project Relic announce date; the Indiana Jones game (January 2021)
- Project Singularity Steering Committee (June 2022)
- Presentation on Project Neutrino (April 2021)

Stop the 🧢

Final Fantasy 13 (and everything related) released on Xbox and failed. 14 didn't release because of MS' policies. 15 released and failed. Kingdom Hearts 3 released on Xbox and failed. SE releases most of their games on Xbox and they fail to sell well. That's not Sony's fault.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Can't agree with this.

They have multiple game of the year contenders pretty much every year. Yea they have niche games, but all consoles do.
You don't have to agree with me. Reality backs what I'm saying. Yeah there's some overlap but the primary customers are different and it's to the point that some of the most successful multiplatform franchises on PlayStation and Xbox were attempted on and ultimately failed on the Nintendo side because people didn't care to play them there.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Just because two products are in the same market doesn't mean they're competing with each other. If they pursue different consumer demographics inside that market and have different target audiences sales of one don't come at the expense of the other.

Barbie and Transformers are both toys so part of the same market. The target demographics are entirely different. They aren't really competing with each other. He-Man and GI-Joe kinda exist in the same target demographic.

The FTC is inarticulately trying to make the point that Nintendo isn't necessarily directly competing the way Sony and Microsoft are.
No two products are gonna compete exactly 1 to 1

This is about a market definition when it comes to antitrust concerns.

Just because two products may have two different demographic strategies doesn’t mean they aren’t competeing.

If that’s the case you could say Playstation and Xbox are different markets, as they market to and appeal to two different demographics.

Playstation is known as the “single player exclusive” console and fans of japanese’s games are all on playstation.

Xbox caters to multiplayer stuff and now wrpgs and more eclectic indie and AA stuff.

They are still a part of the same overall market. When you start splitting hairs to define a market, you could presumably create any market you want.