Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
That's wild all the cod campaigns in my library will be getting p2'd

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Quoted from the same reddit thread I posted a couple pages back:
Has there been an example of some kind of merger that 2 of the "big 3" have approved but one hasn't? Curious what precedent is if FTC also approves.
If a major firm blocks the deal then it’s done, period. It’s how it’s always worked, we’re just dealing with an audience of gamers who don’t know how these things work.
100% this. Microsoft will fight the CMA, but everyone here saying "oh well let them pull out of the UK" is insane. That's not how this goes.
This is not how that would go. Microsoft attempting to get around to CMA like this would result in the country fining them. Millions and millions and millions of dollars. It would also not be contained the cloud gaming space, being in violation of the CMA's decision would result in them being banned from doing any sort of business in the country whatsoever until they came into compliance.

The deal is dead.
The CMA is not changing its mind, the two options are to drop the deal or the leave the UK. You have no idea what you’re talking about ‘CMA sticking to its guns’ lamo, they do not care what other regulators rule - they are focused on the UK, it’s consumers and businesses.

The deal is done.
These people legit don't understand that the UK government is not going to step in so that they're two favorite gaming companies can merge. The amount of damage that they would do to the CMA's reputation to override them would be astronomical.

Like you said, this deal is dead.
Phil Spencer is saying that they are hoping to change the CMA's mind on appeal, but if that fails and the CMA stands firm, the deal is 100% dead.
Regulatory firms are tied to countries or territories, companies don’t have a say.

Microsoft technically can go through with the deal, but would need to pull all business out of the UK, not just Xbox - Microsoft in its entirety.
Will be interesting to see for sure.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

U.K. Parliament not entirely on board with the decision.

More support from the industry.

It’s increasingly looking like it’s the CMA vs the world including their own government.

Resetera and reddit lawyers would have you believe all of this means nothing, but just from a practical standpoint i don’t see how the CMA can stand firm against literally the entire world telling them they are wrong

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
As he post more tweets from Florian mueller a literal Microsoft shill :mjlol:
There’s no opinions in that tweet. Just the info on who’s approved the deal so far.

I don’t view his opinions as gospel. But at least he has a history of covering this type of thing long before activision+microsoft was a thing.

You only call him a shill cause he’s called out the forum lawyers on reset era for making up shyt and being wrong.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
There’s no opinions in that tweet. Just the info on who’s approved the deal so far.

I don’t view his opinions as gospel. But at least he has a history of covering this type of thing long before activision+microsoft was a thing.

You only call him a shill cause he’s called out the forum lawyers on reset era for making up shyt and being wrong.

You posted a link but didn’t actually post what the CMA said to the UK Gov. they are standing firm on their decision. Just a clickbait headline

"I understand the inference - that when a decision is made that blocks a deal, there are questions over whether the UK is open for business," CMA chair Marcus Bokkerink replied. "All businesses know there's a very big difference between building a business, investing in a new business, investing in a startup, creating a new business - there's a big difference between that and buying an already-established, well-established firm with established positions. The two are not the same.

"The [European] Commission agreed the deal would give rise to competition concerns, there's no difference between the CMA and EC there," Cardell told MPs, "but the Commission has however concluded it appropriate to accept [Microsoft's] remedy.

"They have their own test to apply and they've reached their own view, and they're fully entitled to reach that view. But we remain of the view, from a UK perspective, that it was not appropriate to accept that remedy."

"I would challenge the premise that there is an impact on international confidence on doing business in the UK," Bokkerink continued, suggesting that it would conversely not inspire confidence if the UK was seen to be "turning a blind eye to anti-competitive mergers".

And i call him a shill because he’s literally paid by microsoft. It won’t be just the UK either, it will be the FTC and the CMA, aka the US and UK.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You posted a link but didn’t actually post what the CMA said to the UK Gov. they are standing firm on their decision. Just a clickbait headline
The link is there as info. It’s up to you to click it and read it

I didnt post any quotes.

That’s what you do to try to cherry pick stuff.
And i call him a shill because he’s literally paid by microsoft.
You made this up

It won’t be just the UK either, it will be the FTC and the CMA, aka the US and UK.
FTC argument has already been thrown out by CMA and EU.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Employed by microsoft and activision/blizzard
Either you gone believe what he posts there or not.

You can’t cherry pick certain things and make up your own story. :stopitslime:

Dude has a long time career covering this type of stuff. And had a record of being correct and informed on what he’s talking about well before this merger was even a thing.

But somehow resetera sony stan’s have convinced themselves he’s the non-credible one and random forum posters named “Kratos ball sack” are the ones who know what they are talking about :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Either you gone believe what he posts there or not.

You can’t cherry pick certain things and make up your own story. :stopitslime:

Dude has a long time career covering this type of stuff. And had a record of being correct and informed on what he’s talking about well before this merger was even a thing.

But somehow resetera sony stan’s have convinced themselves he’s the non-credible one and random forum posters named “Kratos ball sack” are the ones who know what they are talking about :mjlol:

You know when Florian mueller and Michael Pachter are your sources of information, you tend to get surprised when something like the CMA happens and you act surprised over it.

This is like the Fox News network of information

Now its literally, “the cma are pooopy heads, they know nothing, they have done no real research boooo” lol

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You know when Florian mueller and Michael Pachter are your sources of information, you tend to get surprised when something like the CMA happens and you act surprised over it.
The people you follow on resetera were convinced the CMA would pass. Which is why you disappeared on the subject for weeks.

They have literally been wrong every step of the way.

Yet here you are :francis:
This is like the Fox News network of information

Now its literally, “the cma are pooopy heads, they know nothing, they have done no real research boooo” lol
I’ve said none of that.

I posted links with unbiased information.