Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Looks like Microsoft has hired the real life version of Phoenix Wright to fight this.

Microsoft has hired a lawyer who has repeatedly defeated the EU as it seeks to overturn a decision by Britain’s competition regulator to block its £55bn gaming takeover.

The US tech giant has enlisted Daniel Beard KC as it prepares to lodge an appeal at the Competition Appeal Tribunal in the coming days.

The company hopes a legal challenge will rescue its $69bn (£55bn) takeover of Activision, the gaming company behind Call of Duty, after the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) blocked the deal last month.

Mr Beard of Monckton Chambers is seen as a leading competition barrister and has overturned multi-billion dollar penalties levied on Apple and Intel by the EU in recent years.

He represented Apple in an appeal against a €13bn (£11.4bn) EU tax demand after Margrethe Vestager, the bloc's competition chief, declared Ireland had offered it illegal state aid. Apple won the appeal, though Ms Vestager is now seeking to reinstate the order.

Last year, Mr Beard overturned a €1.1bn fine handed to Intel more than a decade ago after the European Commission had claimed the company had abused its dominance of the microchip market. The case was seen as a landmark blow for Brussels’ attempts to rein in Big Tech.

Mr Beard had represented Microsoft in the late stages of hearings with the CMA, before the regulator blocked the takeover in April.

The CMA’s decision, the first major acquisition it has rejected since assuming new merger powers after Brexit, led to accusations from Activision that Britain was “closed for business”. Microsoft said the decision meant that the EU was a better place to set up a company than the UK.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
Someone explain to me why any gives a shyt what a court in the UK thinks?

If Trump was in office, this deal goes thru easy. I don't get why Microsoft even wants Activision. COD is aging.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Someone explain to me why any gives a shyt what a court in the UK thinks?

If Trump was in office, this deal goes thru easy. I don't get why Microsoft even wants Activision. COD is aging.
Because the world don’t work like that

Many other countries don’t believe in Corporatocracies like we do in the US.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
It really feels as if MS didn't even expect to still be around. It's like they're improvising and winging it all. If they don't recover from this, their next generation console will be their last.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It really feels as if MS didn't even expect to still be around. It's like they're improvising and winging it all. If they don't recover from this, their next generation console will be their last.

I’m definitely interested to see if they can ‘compete’ without Activision. They have the most studios out of everyone now, no reason they can put out good games

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

They actually think the regulators will fall for this.

You’ve been shouting from the rooftops for years about how cloud is the future of Xbox, now suddenly it’s not a big deal and we might have to shut it down :mjlol:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

They actually think the regulators will fall for this.

You’ve been shouting from the rooftops for years about how cloud is the future of Xbox, now suddenly it’s not a big deal and we might have to shut it down :mjlol:

Everybody with sense knew this was true.. They just don't understand CONSOLE gaming at all

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The funny thing about cloud is the people arguing here about it don’t really care about it past the fact that it is being used as a last ditch effort to stop this merger. That’s about its usefulness. Right now and for the foreseeable future cloud gaming is in that same category as the Metaverse. Eventually yeah Microsoft wants to hinge their brand on it but you have to get into pure speculation to determine how that plays out.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

to be fair, in the days leading up to the CMA's decision, everyone was sure they were going to approve it too

but the situation does get interesting if the CMA is the only one to block the deal. there's a lot of talk about what MS should do in that situation, but I think it also raises the question if one country's regulators should be able to block the whole world

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

to be fair, in the days leading up to the CMA's decision, everyone was sure they were going to approve it too

but the situation does get interesting if the CMA is the only one to block the deal. there's a lot of talk about what MS should do in that situation, but I think it also raises the question if one country's regulators should be able to block the whole world

They’re not changing the way acquisitions have always been done just because Larrybox Stans are hurt :mjlol:

Microsoft’s past fukkery didn’t help either. It is what it is