Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
It really feels as if MS didn't even expect to still be around. It's like they're improvising and winging it all. If they don't recover from this, their next generation console will be their last.
They just put their eggs into the wrong basket. They called the Xbox One that because it was short for All-In-One. They thought that and the kinect were the future and put a ton of resources into it.

It put MS (and nintendo too) behind the curb. Sony only dipped their foot into the PSMove, so it didn't put them that far behind.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
They’re not changing the way acquisitions have always been done just because Larrybox Stans are hurt :mjlol:

Microsoft’s past fukkery didn’t help either. It is what it is
I'm asking a question beyond this particular deal. what if Brazil was the only market to block an acquisition? giving any one country the power to block a worldwide deal seem to leave the door open for various types of corruption

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm asking a question beyond this particular deal. what if Brazil was the only market to block an acquisition? giving any one country the power to block a worldwide deal seem to leave the door open for various types of corruption

Uk/EU/US approval are part of the merger agreement, they set the terms before they even began, not regulators.

Also, it would lead to more corruption for big companies to be able to bulldoze their way into buying whatever companies they wanted despite the agencies put in place to stop them saying no. Thats how you get cyberpunk, and even still we’re not that far off from that.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is the first deal of this magnitude to be blocked in this way.

Which is why lots of people involved in this type of thing are looking at the CMA with the side eye.

Seems they want to be big bad watchdog of large corporations for the world but the world really ain’t on board with that.

The implications of this merger and whatever the result is will go well beyond just gaming.

There are already companies deciding just not to do business in the UK so they don’t have to deal with the scrutiny.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This is the first deal of this magnitude to be blocked in this way.

Which is why lots of people involved in this type of thing are looking at the CMA with the side eye.

Seems they want to be big bad watchdog of large corporations for the world but the world really ain’t on board with that.

The implications of this merger and whatever the result is will go well beyond just gaming.

There are already companies deciding just not to do business in the UK so they don’t have to deal with the scrutiny.

:mjlol:

there's a reason you don't have corporations running wild out there and for good reason.

Also other mega deals have been shot down, reasons varying.

Not even the biggest one to get rejected of all time.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Uk/EU/US approval are part of the merger agreement, they set the terms before they even began, not regulators.

I'm asking a question beyond this particular deal

Also, it would lead to more corruption for big companies to be able to bulldoze their way into buying whatever companies they wanted despite the agencies put in place to stop them saying no. Thats how you get cyberpunk, and even still we’re not that far off from that.

the question was about any one particular country being able to block a deal. should something like this require a 'unanimous decision'?

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I'm asking a question beyond this particular deal

the question was about any one particular country being able to block a deal. should something like this require a 'unanimous decision'?

US/UK/EU are pretty much partners so if one rejects it's a done deal for all. The rest of these smaller countries don't provide the revenue the big 3 due so their "approval" while cute don't mean shyt in the grand scheme.

Being unanimous would damn near be impossible which adds another layer too.

Bottom line, no major acquisition/merger happens without the Europe and the US giving the thumbs up.

The Euro approach to business is pretty cool IMO especially from the time I spent there. Way more small business, way more employee benefits, quality of life better. I get it. No Walmarts all over the place. Vibe is kinda cool and chill.

Never forget my time in Belgium and I needed a haircut. Went into the city (Brussels) and found the nikka area :mjgrin: . Was like a swap meet indoor mall area where all the African Belgian brehs were. Was able to get a nice cut for a solid price and went to a nice restaurant to get my mussels. shyt was fiyah.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

there's a reason you don't have corporations running wild out there and for good reason.

None of those were blocked based on an opinion about an assumed potential future market by one regulator.

Most of them, pretty much the entire world agreed it was a monopoly or broke some already existing antitrust laws.

In this case the CMA ruling is unprecedented and unpopular around the world.

Like i said other tech companies are taking note of the UKs anti-everything stance and are already making plans to do business around the UK.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

* Meech's response in full M$ defense mode, despite 10 other bigger deals getting blocked*

"That 120 billy blocked shyt....shyt was aite, shyt was aite. Bu...but....butt, my shyt more john blaze than that! And they not recognizing!"

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
* Meech's response in full M$ defense mode, despite 10 other bigger deals getting blocked*

"That 120 mill blocked shyt....shyt was aite, shyt was aite. Bu...but....butt, my shyt more john blaze than that! And they not recognizing!"

Saw the response. Right on cue. :mjlol:

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
None of those were blocked based on an opinion about an assumed potential future market by one regulator.
Like I said, others were blocked for various reasons.

Most of them, pretty much the entire world agreed it was a monopoly or broke some already existing antitrust laws.

In this case the CMA ruling is unprecedented and unpopular around the world.

Only unprecedented in your minds. Other deals both larger and smaller get blocked all the time.

Like i said other tech companies are taking note of the UKs anti-everything stance and are already making plans to do business around the UK.

No they are not. :mjlol:

MS doesn't have the greatest reputation outside the states brother, especially in Europe. Apple catches hell over there for christ's sakes. Because of Europe, the lightning port is gonna be gone in future apple devices so everyone can be on the same USB-C page. They do not allow these super mega corporations to throw their weight around over there like they do here in the US.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Like I said, others were blocked for various reasons.

Only unprecedented in your minds. Other deals both larger and smaller get blocked all the time.

Other deals get blocked for breaking laws or creating current anti-trust problems.

None have been blocked based on the future of a market that does not exist yet.
No they are not. :mjlol:
MS doesn't have the greatest reputation outside the states brother, especially in Europe. Apple catches hell over there for christ's sakes. Because of Europe, the lightning port is gonna be gone in future apple devices so everyone can be on the same USB-C page. They do not allow these super mega corporations to throw their weight around over there like they do here in the US.
It’s seeming increasingly likely the UK would be the only ones to block the deal.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Other deals get blocked for breaking laws or creating current anti-trust problems.

None have been blocked based on the future of a market that does not exist yet.

It’s seeming increasingly likely the UK would be the only ones to block the deal.

Okay breh.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I mean these are some of the first major deals post brexit.

If the rest of the world plays ball then companies will eventually just shrug off the UK knowing they’ll eventually submit or continue with their terrible policies.

It’s not like companies haven’t rejected China due to their demands