Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I mean these are some of the first major deals post brexit.

If the rest of the world plays ball then companies will eventually just shrug off the UK knowing they’ll eventually submit or continue with their terrible policies.

It’s not like companies haven’t rejected China due to their demands
I feel like regulators are hesitant to pass these huge tech deals in the wake of social media allowing foreign agents to influence elections in western countries. Also the bullshyt Google and Amazon was doing.

I'm against the deal going through, but the reasoning behind the CMA's decision seems like bullshyt imo and does have a good chance of being reversed.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I feel like regulators are hesitant to pass these huge tech deals in the wake of social media allowing foreign agents to influence elections in western countries. Also the bullshyt Google and Amazon was doing.

I'm against the deal going through, but the reasoning behind the CMA's decision seems like bullshyt imo and does have a good chance of being reversed.
Problem is their past history not helping. They’re Draymond Green status

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Problem is their past history not helping. They’re Draymond Green status
If they found issues with microsoft’s past then they should explain their reasoning and why. Blocking the deal because of xcloud makes it sound like they didnt even understand how the tech works.

IMO a better argument against the deal is if a company should be allowed to dump $150 billion into an industry to gain dominance without having to be competitive.

If microsoft just bought EA, Take Two, and activision with that $150 billion and shot to 1st place in revenue, would that be anti competitive? Or would it be OK since currently Microsoft can't compete with Sony and Nintendo due to a decade of mismanagement.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
IMO a better argument against the deal is if a company should be allowed to dump $150 billion into an industry to gain dominance without having to be competitive.

100% agree

The cloud shyt maybe true but allowing a company to buy 2 of the biggest publishers in a span of a couple of years would have sufficed as an excuse to reject the deal

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
100% agree

The cloud shyt maybe true but allowing a company to buy 2 of the biggest publishers in a span of a couple of years would have sufficed as an excuse to reject the deal

Yeah, hopefully the cma just tells them to kick rocks cause it doesn’t make sense either way.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park

I'm pro deal in any capacity. I'm only vote blue and I am a capitalist. It's how I ended up on accounting. Anywho, that's the thing. Microsoft or any other company should not be punished because you didn't do your job properly in the past.

The UK is trying to be seen as a global watchdog but that is problematic in itself

UK is 3% of the world's GDP and when 80-90% of the rest of the world says that they are ok with this deal or any deal, they'll just avoid the UK altogether. Microsoft may not be able to get what they want out of this.

However, they will take this to CAT and will force a redo because the facts have always been on their side. If you look up vertical acquisition, this is legitimately the textbook definition of it working. Proportionality is going to come into play because of how lopsided the stakes are. UK is 3% GDP like I said, cloud gaming is 1-2% of gaming as a whole but it isn't a separate sector or service. It's just another delivery method. There are far too many leaps of faith in their argument to stand up to real scrutiny. It is an indictment on a decision when other cloud companies, post judgment, come out against the regulators.

I say this half-jokingly but nobody cared about Boosteroid or GeForce Now when Microsoft announced this in January 2022. It was only about Sony. Google ran on Stadia, Sony can't be bothered with PS Now, Luna isn't going anywhere and nVidia has to negotiate with everyone to use their games. If not for anything else, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy and cloud gaming will never amount to anything because the one company that is just staying the course is being penalized for just staying the course. Microsoft hasn't done anything outrageous to get whatever market share they have; they just haven't quit.

Analysts on Wednesday questioned whether the CMA was making an apples-to-oranges comparison between the Microsoft Game Pass's cloud offering and those of Amazon, Sony, Nvidia Corp. and others.

"I think they're rather misinformed on what the cloud gaming market is," said Joost Van Dreunen, who lectures at New York University's Stern business school. "They're conflating cloud gaming with the revenue model. Then they're looking at it as a distinct technology and a market in another sense."

For example, the CMA may be overstating the Game Pass's role in Microsoft's cloud gaming dominance when cloud gaming is just one feature of the service.

"I don't think we can compare the way Microsoft uses cloud gaming to the way Amazon uses it for Luna," said Joost Rietvalt, an associate professor of strategy and entrepreneurship at University College London's School of Management. "The market share is driven by the popularity of Game Pass, not the popularity of cloud gaming within gamers."

It's an argument that analysts say Microsoft and Activision may invoke when they appeal. Activision on Wednesday called the CMA decision "disproportionate, irrational and inconsistent with the evidence,"

Ultimately, it's going to be proven that the CMA doesn't know anything about cloud gaming and we will be back at square one, hopefully with cloud gaming removed as an SLC.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Damn they really killing this shyt deader than a cockroach getting killed with a hammer....:picard:

Appeal???What appeal??:birdman: