Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

MrLogic

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cash
Microsoft has a history of fukkery with acquisitions. Game Pass is a loss leader. They want to run the competition out of business then raise prices.
They want the gaming market like windows is with PC operating systems market

just them really

If gamers can't see that something wrong

MS has the money to make 1st party shyt but they don't .......because its not about gaming with them

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I get the idea of scrutinizing the deal cause so much money is involved. But it seems their whole angle was making sure sony gets to keep COD. Even the judge had to redirect them a couple times to talk about protecting consumers, not sony.

I think they may have had a compelling argument if they really hammered on the cloud stuff. It’s a big IF but IF cloud gaming really pops, microsoft WILL have an insurmountable advantage there, and that’s without even buying activision.

Also they never once mentioned microsoft using the extra revenue to withhold other content.

If microsoft owns Activison, COD being one of the single biggest money makers on Playstation then the more successful sony is at selling PS5s the more revenue microsoft gets which they can use for moneyhats or development of exclusive games.

Microsoft will be in control of LOTS of revenue which they could use to harm competition on other ways.

These sound like much more compelling arguments than “omg they are gonna withhold exclusive skins from sony:damn:

Obviously i want the deal to go through, but IDK what the fukk these regulators are thinking in court. Their shyt has been flimsy as fukk:smh:
Facts, yall know I don't want the deal going through, but it sounds like Microsoft made their case, partially due to the silly arguments the ftc were using. fukk call of duty, fukk sony, those should have never been the focal point of their argument.

I'm surprised that the $150 billion planned on acquisitions was never brought up, because that sounds much more alarming than some old ass emails talking irrelevant bullshyt about common industry practices.

$150 billion is alot of money, I feel like Microsoft should have been questioned about that. Hell, I'd even be in favor of passing the deal with no restrictions on cod exclutivity, if they can get a garentee that microsoft wouldn't seek future deals of this size.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Facts, yall know I don't want the deal going through, but it sounds like Microsoft made their case, partially due to the silly arguments the ftc were using. fukk call of duty, fukk sony, those should have never been the focal point of their argument.

I'm surprised that the $150 billion planned on acquisitions was never brought up, because that sounds much more alarming than some old ass emails talking irrelevant bullshyt about common industry practices.

$150 billion is alot of money, I feel like Microsoft should have been questioned about that. Hell, I'd even be in favor of passing the deal with no restrictions on cod exclutivity, if they can get a garentee that microsoft wouldn't seek future deals of this size.
You should be counsel for the FTC, this made more sense than anything they said in the whole trial.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
You should be counsel for the FTC, this made more sense than anything they said in the whole trial.
I don't even know what overall point they were trying to make.

Sony is doing fine, they don't need protection. The focus should have been the end game after the $150 billion is spent. Like how would it be beneficial for consumers if a single company was allowed to absorb such a large portion of the industry? And if microsoft were allowed to acquire $150 billion worth of publishers in the industry, what checks and balances are in place to keep microsoft acting in good faith to protect the consumer?

Seems like at that point there wouldn't be much anyone could do to stop microsoft from doing whatever they want with their property.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Now that we have real Xbox One sales numbers it really is obvious that Sony and Microsoft and playing to the same crowd. Those total numbers dont change much either. It's also obvious that Nintendo sales don't change these numbers much if at all.

In the 360 generation when Xbox sales were at their best PS numbers were down drastically. The Wii sold more than both of them individually but the combined sales weren't dramatically off because of that.

Xbox success comes at PlayStation expense. Nintendo's success doesn't really impact either.

PS2 + Xbox = 179 million combined
PS3 + Xbox 360 = 171 million combined
PS4 + XB1 = 175 million combined

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Now that we have real Xbox One sales numbers it really is obvious that Sony and Microsoft and playing to the same crowd. Those total numbers dont change much either. It's also obvious that Nintendo sales don't change these numbers much if at all.

In the 360 generation when Xbox sales were at their best PS numbers were down drastically. The Wii sold more than both of them individually but the combined sales weren't dramatically off because of that.

Xbox success comes at PlayStation expense. Nintendo's success doesn't really impact either.

PS2 + Xbox = 179 million combined
PS3 + Xbox 360 = 171 million combined
PS4 + XB1 = 175 million combined
Yup, console market been stuck with around the same amount of users for decades now. Which is why microsoft said there’s no point in fighting the “console war” with sony. It’s like fighting over the same little scraps while there’s 3 billion gamers elsewhere they could be reaching for.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Sony is doing fine, they don't need protection. The focus should have been the end game after the $150 billion is spent. Like how would it be beneficial for consumers if a single company was allowed to absorb such a large portion of the industry? And if microsoft were allowed to acquire $150 billion worth of publishers in the industry, what checks and balances are in place to keep microsoft acting in good faith to protect the consumer?

Seems like at that point there wouldn't be much anyone could do to stop microsoft from doing whatever they want with their property.
I don’t think you can block this merger cause they might want another merger later. But you can argue that this merger would give them too much power over the market.

Personally I don't think it does give them too much power, but i think a compelling argument could have been made to that effect.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yup, console market been stuck with around the same amount of users for decades now. Which is why microsoft said there’s no point in fighting the “console war” with sony. It’s like fighting over the same little scraps while there’s 3 billion gamers elsewhere they could be reaching for.
That's why mobile and PC are so important. It's an opportunity to appeal to people unwilling to buy dedicated gaming hardware but willing to buy games for hardware they already own for other reasons.

People are so obsessed with how this deal impacts Sony but from Microsoft's perspective the deal is way bigger than that because of mobile and PC.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's why mobile and PC are so important. It's an opportunity to appeal to people unwilling to buy dedicated gaming hardware but willing to buy games for hardware they already own for other reasons.

People are so obsessed with how this deal impacts Sony but from Microsoft's perspective the deal is way bigger than that because of mobile and PC.
Jim knows this and that's why it's so funny seeing Sony stans with these talking points that the head of playstation himself isn't even worried about it but will tell his minions otherwise on some true evil mastermind type stuff lol. Jim knows overall it's a bigger power play in the long run because playstation themselves made the same kind of move upon coming into the game. They came in offering something different that let devs express themselves more than they could on N64, and gamers get something new, made deals and bought a big publisher with Psygnosis.

The reason that Jim isn't worried about the deal is he knows he has plenty of time and he knows they have plenty of games coming among other things probably. Playstation is always the strongest at the end of the console cycle. MS is usually the opposite and stronger at the start and slowly fall off. I think this time though, now that MS has actual studios to work with, they'll be much like playstation where around year 5-6 you are going to real 1st party bangers.

Last edited:
Daps
I want this to go through so I have the option to play COD with friends without buying a copy :yeshrug: just like I can Fifa its the annualised gaming model that makes having CoD on Gamepass or PS plus appealing you don't have to but that shyt every year not that I did i rarely bought them.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Why would the FTC make a slippery slope argument when they have the means and ability to stop MS if go too far?

Arguing this deal shouldn't go through because of a hypothetical future deal isn't a strong position.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sounds good until your paying 20-30 a month.
Sega channel in the 90's was 19.99 a month. Before they killed the service the price had risen to somewhere between 24 and 29 a month. The only reason Mom dukes kept it for me is because of how many games I'd rent for the video store. It was way cheaper for sega channel

Gamepass really should be 24.99-34.99 currently.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
Sega channel in the 90's was 19.99 a month. Before they killed the service the price had risen to somewhere between 24 and 29 a month. The only reason Mom dukes kept it for me is because of how many games I'd rent for the video store. It was way cheaper for sega channel

Gamepass really should be 24.99-34.99 currently.
What would you price the friends and family plan at?