Michelle Obama is mad at Black voters, not Trump voters

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Looking for the part of the article where she specifically blames Blacks

Or is this more standard issue TLR smart dumb nikka shyt?
While Trump is casually referenced from the first minutes and the mood of the country scores the film’s entire conversation, it’s not until roughly two-thirds through the film that she addresses her negative feelings about his 2016 victory directly. Twice, she talks about how painful it is to her that black voters didn’t turn out to vote for Hillary Clinton, calling the decision not to vote more painful to her than those who voted for Trump.

“It takes some energy to go high, and we were exhausted from it. Because when you are the first black anything…” she said, referencing anecdotes from her Becoming book. “So the day I left the White House and I write about how painful it was to sit on that [inauguration] stage. A lot of our folks didn’t vote. It was almost like a slap in the face.”

“I understand the people who voted for Trump,” she continued. “The people who didn’t vote at all, the young people, the women, that’s when you think, man, people think this is a game. It wasn’t just in this election. Every midterm. Every time Barack didn’t get the Congress he needed, that was because our folks didn’t show up. After all that work, they just couldn’t be bothered to vote at all. That’s my trauma.”

folasade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So much emotion...to be expected, but her overall point is largely being missed.

2008 should have been the catalyst for black people to continually be involved in the political process. Not just in 2010 or 2012, but in 2016, in 2020 and beyond. Our power was on display, hell it was on display again when Biden fumbled in the 4th quarter but got his mojo back this year. The energy that people use to justify not voting or trying to incorrectly use our political leverage to threaten the Democratic party, is better used by helping your people understand why its important we continue to be involved in the process. Thats the only way we go from getting bribed and finessed every presidential election for our turnout to being an essential part of the electorate, where the establishment tip-toes around us like they do the centrist and moderates.
Agreed. We really shouldn't need a politician to go out and vote. It should be on us and what we regardless of the party.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
She’s right. But at the same time, its on the politicians to get enthusiasm turned up down ballot.

Is it though? Is it a politicians job to help you understand that you are not being treated fairly by society or your employer? Is it a politicians job to inspire the idea that healthcare costs are a strain on the citizens of this country?

On the contrary, I think a politicians job is to recognize those things, have a plan to correct them in part or as a whole while asking for your support if you agree.

You don't vote for politicians, you vote for issues.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Its not a politicians job to get the electorate excited.

It is the voter's job to learn about politics and governance. Not just for electon day, but every other day. We need to push for our issues and hold people accountable. Americans are lazy and don't want to do anything except clock in and clock out.

The Obamas are not heroes and they didn't do much for our community, but we never really pushed them to do more.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
So she called out everyone but we're upset that she mentioned Blacks?

Because it looks like she also called out young people and women as well...and white women definitely should take the brunt of the blame here :yeshrug:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
You don't vote for politicians, you vote for issues.
I don’t, but much of America does. Its a combination of both.

People need to informed of why midterms are important just like they need to be informed of elections’ effects on the judicial branch as well. Its a weakness of the Democratic Party that Republicans have capitalized on IMO. They did a very good job messaging in 2018 though.

I agree with you, Americans are lazy. Sometimes you have to force feed the people. :francis:

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
America is the land of the great flip flop a lot of presidents had their party lose their power in Congress sometimes I feel like they made certain offices run out at different times to make any sweeping laws come to be slowly

FDR probably had it made lowkey think about it he changed his Vice President multiple times and won a fourth election before Presidents stopped at two in tradition of Washington

Long story short Trump being the president right after Obama especially when Obama got Osama the night he was joking on Trump is a giant L for Obama’s legacy a literal Trump card

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I mean she's not wrong about Democrats not showing up for Congressional elections. But that's been normal for decades.
And she's right, Democrats not showing up for Congressional elections did fukk up the President's agenda. And hurt us as well.
But I'll be damned if she act like it's all our faults but her husband on at least 2 occasions said publicly skirted past reparations like a criminal avoiding a crime scene.
Plus, pundits and politicians didn't start talking about local politics and Congress talk until the damn 2016 election. 8 years too late.

She can :camby: with that shyt.

And she and Barack are considered to be VPs because of this Biden fukkery. :snoop:

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Well, this is just going to fuel the anti-Obama hate.

Anyways, Demcoratic voters (not just Black ones) not showing up outside of Presidential elections definitely hurt the party :francis:.

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU
Finally someone gets it!!! :beli:
She has all this smoke for black voters She says nothing about white Democrats that votes for Trump!!! Or just outright hated her husband on the low...:stopitslime:
Hillary was just garbage. Any competent candidate would have won in 2016. That plus the progressive (Bernie Sanders) folks being on their menstrual cycle.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
So she called out everyone but we're upset that she mentioned Blacks?

Because it looks like she also called out young people and women as well...and white women definitely should take the brunt of the blame here :yeshrug:
No one should be upset about what she said because it's true. :manny:

I think everyone is hyperventilating over the idea of her saying it was "all black folks fault" and that is not at all what she's saying. Obama would have not won neither 2008 or 2012 if it wasn't for our vote.

Our vote was noticeably deficient in the midterm years as well as in 2016, those are facts. Whether we want to argue about why that is up for debate, but we can't stress about what we can't control (whites and how they vote) but we can control ours.