Michael Dunn, killer of Jordan Davis trial thread

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
shyt like this is why the states should have uniform verdicts, sentencing, charges. None of this in one state you need 12-0, in another 8-4 BS. Just make it simple in all state law and not just federal law.
9-3 should be enough in ANY state to get a conviction.

nope.

sorry.

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Worthwhile read about "implicit bias" and SYG

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/17/whi...ce_created_michael_dunn_and_george_zimmerman/

First, implicit racial bias is a pervasive phenomenon, with deep roots in how humans normally think. A large mass of data has been collected over the past 10+ years showing that roughly 70% of all Americans have an unconscious racial bias, compared to only 20% who are consciously aware of it. That means that roughly half of all Americans are colorblind in a very different sense from how the term is usually deployed: they’re blind to their own color biases. This is one of the most striking findings from the implicit attitudes test, introduced by Anthony Greenwald and colleagues at the University of Washington in 1998, an online version of which has been taken by more than 10 million people.

In the test, bias is revealed via response times. Black and white cues (names or faces, in different versions) are presented, and subjects respond accordingly with either a right- or left-handed response. Then pleasant and unpleasant cue words are presented, with subjects again responding with either a right- or left-handed response. When the two tasks are combined, response times are faster for the pairings that implicitly seem “natural” to the subject—black/right, unpleasant/right for 70% of all Americans. Response times are slower when they are switched.

Implicit bias is a pervasive phenomenon encompassing far more than race, and its rooted in even more basic human cognitive functions as well. Not only can’t we get rid of it, we wouldn’t necessarily want to. But we can manage, influence, reshape and restrain it—if we can muster the will to confront it. Ignoring or denying it simply will not work. It is the one recipe for continued failure.

The basis of implicit bias is categorization and stereotyping. Humans categorize the world as a fundamental way of comprehending it. The vast majority of nouns are categories: cats, dogs, film noir, fajitas, all just names for different categories of things. Without categorization it would be difficult to have, much less communication, any sort of more complicated thought. Stereotyping goes along with categorization: a bird is a category of animal, a robin is a stereotypical bird, as opposed to a chicken, which doesn’t fly, or a kiwi, which doesn’t even have wings.

Biases are also helpful heuristics—we don’t have to remember every experience we’ve ever had with a dog, or a cat, or film noir, or a fajita; instead, we develop categorical associations—biases. These become particularly problematic in the social world, especially as the social world becomes both more complicated and more dynamic than the sort of the small-group societies in which human cognitive capacity evolved. But there’s so much benefit we derive from these same mechanisms, which are so pervasive to how think and live, that simply doing away with them is not really an option. Instead, we need to learn more about how they work—particularly about how they can lead us astray. Implicit racial and gender biases are prime examples of this. Through conscious awareness, we can gain some degree of mastery, and even devise ways of helping one another out when we get lead astray. By following such a path, we really can turn our diversity into a true source of greater wisdom, self-knowledge, strength, and self-determination.

Second, implicit bias can be deadly—literally. “Shooter bias” refers to the biased propensity to “shoot first and ask questions later” when encountering a subject who is black—even for people who aren’t consciously racist. It’s certainly not the only form of bias leading to worse criminal justice treatment of black people, but it is one of the most dramatic, and has been studied by researchers in laboratory simulations for more than a decade. Fortunately, there is evidence that it can be corrected by professional training, and that combination of facts has even lead to prominent notice in law enforcement circles—a hopeful sign of a larger potential to move beyond past stalemates.

An article in Police Chief Magazine by Joshua Correl, the University of Chicago psychology professor who pioneered shooter bias research, lays out the significant facts. Researchers began looking into shooter bias in the aftermath of the shooting death of Amadou Diallo, an unarmed black man shot 41 times by police who mistakenly thought he had a weapon. Using a shooter simulation video game with college students and community members, researchers found that subjects were quicker to respond “shoot” to a black target and “don’t shoot” to a white one, and that they were more likely to shoot unarmed black targets than unarmed white ones. If this sounds like yet another reason that “stand your ground” laws might not be such a good idea, congratulations. You’re starting to catch on.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
An article in Police Chief Magazine by Joshua Correl, the University of Chicago psychology professor who pioneered shooter bias research, lays out the significant facts. Researchers began looking into shooter bias in the aftermath of the shooting death of Amadou Diallo, an unarmed black man shot 41 times by police who mistakenly thought he had a weapon. Using a shooter simulation video game with college students and community members, researchers found that subjects were quicker to respond “shoot” to a black target and “don’t shoot” to a white one, and that they were more likely to shoot unarmed black targets than unarmed white ones. If this sounds like yet another reason that “stand your ground” laws might not be such a good idea, congratulations. You’re starting to catch on.
:ohhh:

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Worthwhile read about "implicit bias" and SYG

The real difficulty is how to deal with it in these situations. One of the things the studies so far have found was that implicit bias runs so deep that it affects even the most consciously anti-biased individuals. A perfect example is Jesse Jackson's confession about how he was walking the streets alone one night and got nervous when he heard footsteps behind him, then felt relief when he saw it wasn't a Black man.

In the case of, for example, grading papers or looking at resumes, where both racist and sexist biases regularly affect the reviewers evaluation of those documents, you can easily remove the relevant issues by making the documents anonymous. That has already been found to equalize outcomes in those contexts. Unfortunately, there's no way to do that in face-to-face situations. And if conscious training won't work, since this appears to be a largely subconscious mechanism, what other solutions are there?

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
The vile motherfukker's own fiancé shytted on his cover story, but 3 jurors still held out. Jesus fukking Christ, nikkas have no chance in this country.
I went downtown outside the court house the night of the verdict and the people I talked to for the most part were just like :whew: that he's going to jail. I was telling people it's a shame he didn't get the murder conviction, and most people were just kinda like at least he got something and is getting locked up. I thought it was kinda depressing that that's what people have resigned themselves to. But I understand.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
The vile motherfukker's own fiancé shytted on his cover story, but 3 jurors still held out. Jesus fukking Christ, nikkas have no chance in this country.
You should've seen the shyt I saw when I was summering at a prosecutor's office. I swear if I wasn't there to be the conscience (literally the only black dude) that all the prosecutors with a conscience would've backed down and sent dudes in front of bias juries on nonsense charges. I stayed with the :beli: "Do we really want to try this case"

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You should've seen the shyt I saw when I was summering at a prosecutor's office. I swear if I wasn't there to be the conscience (literally the only black dude) that all the prosecutors with a conscience would've backed down and sent dudes in front of bias juries on nonsense charges. I stayed with the :beli: "Do we really want to try this case"

:demonic:

Worst part is I am not the least bit surprised.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
shyt like this is why the states should have uniform verdicts, sentencing, charges. None of this in one state you need 12-0, in another 8-4 BS. Just make it simple in all state law and not just federal law.
9-3 should be enough in ANY state to get a conviction.
Breh, if that happens, you do realize that no black man would ever get acquitted for anything right?

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I went downtown outside the court house the night of the verdict and the people I talked to for the most part were just like :whew: that he's going to jail. I was telling people it's a shame he didn't get the murder conviction, and most people were just kinda like at least he got something and is getting locked up. I thought it was kinda depressing that that's what people have resigned themselves to. But I understand.

Yeah, that was kind of the vibe. When they announced the shyt to us, I was looking around on some, what y'all wanna do shyt:demonic: But I felt better once I realized that a lot of people were happy that he would at least spend life in prison. Personally, I think it should have been a way bigger uproar about the verdict at the courthouse that night. Which it kind of was, because attention turned to the ousting of Angela Corey directly after the verdict was announced. A lot of people I spoke to that night were not satisfied though. It's fukked up we gotta be happy with consolation prizes, that's how stacked the deck is against us though.

We don't have any type of leadership down here either, or nation wide for that matter, when it comes to Black issues. People generally need other people to tell them what to be mad and passionate about.