Michael B Jordan: "We don't have any Black mythology or Folklore"

invalid

Banned
Daps
This is the weirdest thread I've seen in here this year breh.

Crossroads blues with Robert Jonhson, John the trickster who'd outwit the slave master in the plantation, people can even create a myth of a black boy that survived the alligator black baby feeding horror.

Yep... even the Tall Tales has African American Folk Heroes...

Like someone else posted earlier John Henry.

john-henry-folklore-531642af-2ced-4de3-b064-873be386979-resize-750.jpg

Nat “Deadwood dikk” Love

nat-love-and-three-little-cowpokes-ken-falana.jpg

Stagecoach Mary aka “White Crow”

stagecoach_mary_by_tessfowler-d8eklmw.jpg

And although whites have whitewashed Alfred Bulltop Stormalong, Captain Stormalong is a folk story that originated from the slaves.

l_9781591977728_fc.jpg

The issue is that many of us are simply not interested enough in our history to study it. Many of us are ashamed of our slave history when we should be proud of it and embrace it. I’ve heard people mention on here that they are sick of seeing slave movies that are portrayed in Hollywood. That they want other stories. I love them and wish they would produced more. Although it’s great to go back to Africa and tell those stories too, our history, identity, sense of place, and community was forged here. So the stories I have a priority to hear are those that were born on American soil. 300 out of the 400 years we’ve been here, we were slaves, so I want folks to understand that’s it’s okay if we keep telling those stories. And we need to own them, otherwise we are at the mercy of them being told by whites or forgotten all together.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
Whether if it applies or not, the majority are average.... So with that being said.. I’ll play... what measurement can you give us to show how you are better than the average brother...... I’m sure your response will be petulant type bullshyt but let’s see what happens... :pachaha:
So you are average because....the majority of people are average. Is you’re thinking that rudimentary? Go research some black folklore and rise above your average ness. Is that petulant enough for you son?

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
It's very serious, actually! Especially him being AA dos, he should know the power he has on influencing others(incl) non Dos, and propagating false, subversive, ahistorical notions to the world is very stupid, and very harmful.
You think this single sentence pronounced by an actor during a youtube/magazine interview will prove to be "very harmful" for the world down the line?

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Of course we don't by Hollywood standards.

shyt Black Panther had to pay the bills starring in that Gods of Egypt bullshyt as the token black.

We rented all that vibranium for the movie, fam :mjcry:

Had to take out a second mortgage on the palace just to pay for the suit :mjcry:

Paid off, though :mjgrin:

Curufinwe

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Brussel
Define "Black" because as an African I have thousand of years of mythology.
Then is by Black you mean Black African American, of course it's difficult because slavery stole you history at some point. Nevertheless, Mythology still exist with a mixture between African rites and "American way of lif".

Anyway, Michael B Jordan is just and Actor. If people really cared about serious sociology, they'll turn to scholars.
I am pretty sure there are hundred of university level reference and thesis. But TheColi only care about ignorant athlete/entertainers.

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
Off the top of my head there's
  • Stagger Lee
  • Brer rabbit
  • Boo haggy
  • John Henry
  • The Signifying monkey
  • high john the conqueror
  • Big liz
  • Flying fool

I was going to mention the Signifying Monkey.

Aside from John Henry and Anansi, there may be other regional myths and folklore in your local area. If you're from the DC area, then you may have heard about Old Man Clutch or The Cat Lady.