Michael B Jordan: "We don't have any Black mythology or Folklore"

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
people_could_fly_lg.jpg
A lot of nonsense in this thread, but you took me back with this one. I gotta find this book again and reread. I remember it being really good as a kid

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
If we're talking contemporary folklore and mythology, check out this sister right here. Nigerian-American novelist. She studied African Mythology in Brazil while at Havard. Recently wrote a well received fantasy book.

Tomi Adeyemi - Wikipedia

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
I swear besides white supremacy these clueless nikkas is the reason people all over the world think African Americans have no culture. Just ignant all out in fukkin public.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse

Off the top of my head there's
  • Stagger Lee
  • Brer rabbit
  • Boo haggy
  • John Henry
  • The Signifying monkey
  • high john the conqueror
  • Big liz
  • Flying fool
Read like all of these growing up as well as Anansi the spider. Some were introduced to us by the white librarian in my elementary school.
Surprised by some of the responses in here

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
If he means black, as in african americans specifically then i would agree. We have very little folklore originating here. And thats good because our experience here shouldn't define us. And i dont know any african stories that AAs know casually.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
If he means black, as in african americans specifically then i would agree. We have very little folklore originating here.

:childplease: you were given numerous examples in this thread

And thats good because our experience here shouldn't define us.

tenor.gif

And i dont know any african stories that AAs know casually.

aframs have specific AfricanAMERICAN folklore + folklore based around/rooted in older african based ones

The Trickster in African American Literature, Freedom's Story, TeacherServe®, National Humanities Center

African Roots/American Cultures

Loopholes and Retreats

X7gPh8W.jpg

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
If we're talking contemporary folklore and mythology, check out this sister right here. Nigerian-American novelist. She studied African Mythology in Brazil while at Havard. Recently wrote a well received fantasy book.

Tomi Adeyemi - Wikipedia
theres been recently alot of prominent Black women novelist that are getting high reception in fantasy novels.

N. K. Jemisin - Wikipedia

her novel The Fifth Season and its series is well recieved and getting popular.