Plus Ed Harris stay winning, dude is phenomenal :salute:
GlaringFlimsyArctichare-size_restricted.gif

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hear you, but I disagree.

I think Creed only became humanized in three and four, after he was a rival for Rocky. Before that, he was a flashy black boxer stereotype. The only difference is he was in charge of his career versus other boxers, but he was still that. We only learned about Creed the man in three and four, imo.

In Creed, we learn more about Ricky Conlan and what is pushing him and we learn about his fukked up life. In Creed 2, they fully flesh out the Dragos and the isolation they been enduring after losing to Rocky. And Creed 3 is obviously a great exploration into Dame.
I think Apollo was written as a stereotype/Ali clone so I am there with you but Carl Weathers brought him to life and made him real. Like the scene where Rocky gets back to his feet during their first fight--not a word of dialog but with his mannerisms he communicates disappointment that the fight isn't over, respect for Rocky, and also concern for Rocky because he has to kick his ass some more. Weathers does not get enough credit for his acting in the series, which is kind of a sore spot for me...

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I think Apollo was written as a stereotype/Ali clone so I am there with you but Carl Weathers brought him to life and made him real. Like the scene where Rocky gets back to his feet during their first fight--not a word of dialog but with his mannerisms he communicates disappointment that the fight isn't over, respect for Rocky, and also concern for Rocky because he has to kick his ass some more. Weathers does not get enough credit for his acting in the series, which is kind of a sore spot for me...
I think Weathers took some bad scripts in the 80s because he probably should have been a bigger star.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
While a very good film, it suffered from not letting character moments really breathe while others lingered on far far too long.

Opening scene really dragged on for a bit, could have had Damien right in the ring with Adonis as a corner man. Street dudes approach them after the match about not taking a fall, out comes the hammer...Damien does a bid for catching a body...

They could have dropped the foster abuse angle...every kid gets a beating...

It's like they took some stories from The Wire and The Sopranos and threw it in there. Mike and his step dad and Tony B. / Tony S. bad hijack story.

Soundtrack was lazy...Ludwig making Disney dollars or probably too busy to commit to the soundtrack. Didn't hit...

Majors definitely played the crazy breh from the hood to a T...the intense eyes, angry at you for doing well and wanting what's on your plate.

I don't really have an issue with Adonis giving Damien a title shot, he does owe him for the 20 year bid, and he had the pull to do it, that's supposed to be his boy.

I really liked Damien's prison style of boxing, less finesse and more brawling to survive shanks and weapons. Very similar to the Keysi (Bale's Batman fighting techniques).

The fight choreography wasn't bad at all but since when did they let women train heavyweight pro fighters? I guess MJB had to get the feminists on board too...

Why must the Matriarch die again? Tired trope...

Amara was adorable...

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Rocky still had 64 fights and was just a stay busy fight. It’s far fetched that he would get a title but different situation.
Stop it
That nikka went from a straight bum to fighting the world champ :russ:
nikkas keep acting like these Rocky movies had weight classes and were a bidding by real world implications :russ:
I can understand certain criticisms
But this ain’t one of them y’all should die on
It’s a nitpick in a world where a nikka fought a wrestler
Nobody blocks any fukking punches and everybody should be punchy and blind
nikkas flying to Russia during the fukking Cold War to fight a cyborg like nikka
Sit back and really think about your statement
If you can’t see the ridiculousness of it all:dead:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
These runtimes arent suited for these type of films. Unless its a spectacle like Avatar, Top Gun, or Endgame, todays audience isnt gonna be happy sitting and watching a Sports movie for 2 hours and 45 minutes...Babylon flopped and was almost 3 hours...

This movie felt a little rushed,I think 2:45 might make it even better. Ill be interested in a directors cut. But if we are being honest,they really needed to cut every single scene with the deaf daughtet:francis:

MyApps

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
family death and old opponent comes back to help like rocky 3
Betrayal like rocky 5
Underdog opponent gets title shot like rocky 1
Training montage like rocky 4

I will say, it looked like Donnie knew how untrained Damian was and his sympathy towards Damian made Donnie fight worse than expected.

If there was no connection between the two, Donnie probably ends the fight in 5.