Michael B Jordan Gets Racist Backlash For Being Cast As Human Torch

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It doesn't but I think his black status and background kind of helps keep him from being another forgettable DC fodder character who shoots lightning from his hands.

Static is not a DC character. DC doesn't own Static, they just have (had?) the rights to publish stories about the character.

Static is owned and was created by Milestone Media which is owned by a group of black men.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
I think when a Super hero is developed as a black superhero, they are intentionally black instead of being a generic white super hero for the sole purpose of increasing representation of minority superheroes.That goes for any Milestone comic character. Being Asian wouldnt be bad. There are dark skinned Asians that exists though.

static is more like spiderman then anything so race never played a factor in his ID. Now Icon is character that can never be any other color then black because his race was a major part of his identity.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
static is more like spiderman then anything so race never played a factor in his ID. Now Icon is character that can never be any other color then black because his race was a major part of his identity.

Co-sign.

Even a character like Falcon could be white..It's just not something you'd do because you'd be changing one of the very few black characters into a white character.

tr2k

All Star
Daps
Static exists to be black
His race plays a big role in the grand scheme of things because of comic publisher who created him.
Milestone Media is a company best known for creating Milestone Comics and securing an unheard of publishing and distribution deal with DC Comics and the Static Shock cartoon series. It was founded in 1993 by a coalition of African-American artists and writers (namely Dwayne McDuffie, Denys Cowan, Michael Davis and Derek T. Dingle) who believed that minorities were severely underrepresented in American comics. Milestone Media was their attempt to correct this imbalance.

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
Static is not a DC character. DC doesn't own Static, they just have (had?) the rights to publish stories about the character.

Static is owned and was created by Milestone Media which is owned by a group of black men.
I'm just saying his blackness could have helped his popularity.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not racism, it's just the fact that Storm has been a white character for like a zillion years.

Either way, I don't care. Fantastic Four isn't all that interesting to me anyways.

Nah fukk that, a lot of that shyt is racism (not all of it).

You can't say it's not racism when motherfukkers are saying wild racist shyt about the casting, actor, and concept. You can be a purist and not want the change without being a racist prick about it.

Then you got those who are purists and want to see shyt translated faithfully to the screen, but as has been pointed out even with them most had no problem with Bane and Ra's Al Ghul being changed significantly and cast as white people.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:pachaha: Funny how Static got a much bigger push.

He really didn't get a bigger push, he's just a better character and he debuted at the right time (plus there's some legal issues DC has with Black Lightning).

Static debuted right near the end of the comic book boom period and benefited greatly from that. A lot of people dug the character and he had a fairly successful run. Then Dwayne McDuffie locked up the TV deal and that shot his popularity into the stratosphere.

When Dwayne initially brought the character to tv execs they wanted to turn him white. Later in the shows run it was the highest rated show on Kids WB (beating out Pokemon) but for whatever reason nobody wanted to make toys based on the character so they lost funding and had to end it.

As for the Static Comic DC comics tried to censor one of the covers because it showed Static making out with his black girlfriend. DC claimed it was too risque even though at the time most of their comics were ass and titty shots.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Static exists to be black

His race plays a big role in the grand scheme of things because of comic publisher who created him.

Stan lee is Jewish and his heritage has no influence on spiderman

Static is your typical teenager getting super powers story. anyone can fill that role. I got enough respect for what the creators of milestone did but the reason static was that company most popular character was because more people could relate to him then they could the blood syndicate.

tr2k

All Star
Daps
He really didn't get a bigger push, he's just a better character and he debuted at the right time (plus there's some legal issues DC has with Black Lightning).

Static debuted right near the end of the comic book boom period and benefited greatly from that. A lot of people dug the character and he had a fairly successful run. Then Dwayne McDuffie locked up the TV deal and that shot his popularity into the stratosphere.

When Dwayne initially brought the character to tv execs they wanted to turn him white. Later in the shows run it was the highest rated show on Kids WB (beating out Pokemon) but for whatever reason nobody wanted to make toys based on the character so they lost funding and had to end it.

As for the Static Comic DC comics tried to censor one of the covers because it showed Static making out with his black girlfriend. DC claimed it was too risque even though at the time most of their comics were ass and titty shots.
29-Camron-NP.gif

they wanted the character to be white so they can sell toys and merchandise
They can sell a green, ugly azz Shrek orge over a black, human, super hero

tr2k

All Star
Daps
Stan lee is Jewish and his heritage has no influence on spiderman

Static is your typical teenager getting super powers story. anyone can fill that role. I got enough respect for what the creators of milestone did but the reason static was that company most popular character was because more people could relate to him then they could the blood syndicate.
The Jewish community isnt hurting for money.
They made him black for a specific reason. Any other person that fills Statics role would be another black person with a different name. Its not about his abilities. They didnt start a comic company because heroes of electric powers were underrepresented in American comics.

Last edited:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
But they made him black for a specific reason. Not so much his powers.

Every character from milestone was a minority so I am not sure what you are trying to get at?
What I am saying is static being black does not define him as say Icon or Blue Marvel.

tr2k

All Star
Daps
Every character from milestone was a minority so I am not sure what you are trying to get at?
What I am saying is static being black does not define him as say Icon or Blue Marvel.
Im saying being black was important to his development according to his creator

edit: Static's character isnt tied to his race but to its artist's intent

Last edited: