Michael B Jordan Gets Racist Backlash For Being Cast As Human Torch

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Speaking of black comic book character controversy...Are we really supposed to believe that Spider-Man is just some CAC from Queens :beli:? Spider-Man should have been a black/hispanic dude from jump/

I forgot where I read it and it may have been hearsay or just a quick blurb by Stan, but he originally wanted to make Peter and a good number of the X Men black but his publisher wouldn't let him

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
How can a black man play Johnny storm? That shyt makes no sense.. I have to agree with the cacs here. Don't fukk with the race of superheroes unless some version of that character is a different race. I.e. Nick Fury.

Ultimate Nick Fury>>

Here's where I'd disagree: A lot of these comic properties are being updated for modern audiences, especially these tv or film adaptations. Greg Weisman, the guy behind the best spider-man adaptation, Spectacular Spider-Man, was asked why he changed Liz Allen's race in the cartoon from white to hispanic and he said that those characters aren't a great representation of what NYC and the world is right now and if you want to do a show set in modern times, or a movie, then changes like that can be made unless the character is defined by their race. Black Panther is defined by his race, Luke Cage is defined by his race, but Johnny Storm isn't. He's defined by being a hot head who's full of himself, loves his sister and love's banging chicks. At that point, you pick the best actor for the role and since the director (Josh Trank) and Michael B. Jordan are friends and already worked together with Chronicle, I feel like he's a great choice for the role.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
screenshot-55.jpg

screenshot-52.jpg

screenshot-57.jpg

screenshot-50.jpg

screenshot-58.jpg

screenshot-61.jpg

http://collegecandy.com/2013/10/18/michael-b-jordan-human-torch/
:umad: THEY MAAAADDD!

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
Here's where I'd disagree: A lot of these comic properties are being updated for modern audiences, especially these tv or film adaptations. Greg Weisman, the guy behind the best spider-man adaptation, Spectacular Spider-Man, was asked why he changed Liz Allen's race in the cartoon from white to hispanic and he said that those characters aren't a great representation of what NYC and the world is right now and if you want to do a show set in modern times, or a movie, then changes like that can be made unless the character is defined by their race. Black Panther is defined by his race, Luke Cage is defined by his race, but Johnny Storm isn't. He's defined by being a hot head who's full of himself, loves his sister and love's banging chicks. At that point, you pick the best actor for the role and since the director (Josh Trank) and Michael B. Jordan are friends and already worked together with Chronicle, I feel like he's a great choice for the role.

Breh stfu. Johnny Storm is a white male, period. GTFOH with this nonsense. :camby:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I do agree with the lady that the casting can be more distracting because of racial issues than anything else

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
Breh stfu. Johnny Storm is a white male, period. GTFOH with this nonsense. :camby:
I agree....my Johnny Storm is white also, but since this is made my fox, I don't really give a fukk....like I said before if they are making Johnny Storm black, why not make the FF black, imagine the smartest dude in the Marvel-Fox U is a Black man:blessed:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yet cacs get incredulous when blacks lament the casting of cacs in black roles, I.e. The upcoming movie about ancient Egpyt.

Because they're full of shyt.

White people play characters of different races ALL THE TIME. shyt white people characters based on real fukking people who were different races.

Like I said before do you remember any huge uproar about Tom Hardy not being Latino?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Because they're full of shyt.

White people play characters of different races ALL THE TIME. shyt white people characters based on real fukking people who were different races.

Like I said before do you remember any huge uproar about Tom Hardy not being Latino?

Of course not, they were thrilled it was Tom Hardy and shouted Chris Nolan's praises from the rooftop. Then when he's in the movie, Hardy makes him sound like Sean Connery. Liz Taylor cast as Cleopatra and that's ok..Mickey Rooney plays a stereotypical Chinese guy in Breakfast with Tiffany's but that's OK too. But God forbid a black man get cast in a role like this. Idris, Sam Jackson, Michael B. Jordan and I'm pretty sure there are more instances of it too. They hide their racism under the whole "I'm a purist" bs but come on man

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
the racist comments are unnecessary but for continuity sake it would mean that the sister has to be black too right?

its always a gamble to change the race of characters though it doesn't hurt when its smaller characters like when sam jackson was in avengers or the gatekeeper guy in Thor

but i think it would be a box office fail to make Batman Black or Asian or South American unless of course the person from South America and it doesn't mean that the story would suffer the movie could be just as good because what matters is the story told and the actor portraying it being truthful but it just makes people lose what they feel is an authentic portrayal

like someone else mentioned its better to focus on characters that were originally intended to be a certain race like Black Panther or just have original new characters and they don't have to be super heroes but say new super spy's or die hard type characters that could be any background