Metroid Dread

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting that so many in this thread like Ori. The first game couldn't keep me engaged, I think I just didn't like the aesthetics and atmosphere. Metroid, Castlevania and Hollow Knight have this "hopeless" atmosphere I feel that just keeps me engaged and on my toes. That game was a bit too cutesy and Disney-like for me.

Ori's art-style is it's main draw. It's practically 2d pixar level. Super clean and dope, but at the same time, compared to most games when it released, it had an unique aesthetic. I've seen a couple other games have that style since now tho. It's overall design melds together very well. Music was sublime too. Only thing that was missing from the first game was combat variety (you were mostly just dodging enemies in that one) and boss fights, to which both were fixed in the sequel.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I made a post complaining about people posting spoilers before it even realessed so using guides is a no no.

As stated I completed samus return the week before this dropped and I found that far more difficult.

People in here complaining about bosses being hard the attack patterns of all of them were simplistic as fukk outside of the under water one.

Games just not that good and no one will talk about it by the end of the month :yeshrug:
IMO what's more suspect is you getting 100% of the items in that time, without using a guide

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
for me, the biggest criticism i had with Ori was the combat, its a little bland. The platforming and other things are A1

hollow knight kind of does it all, but maybe it's a little long in the tooth but thats part of why i like it also. It feels like more of an epic-adventure game like zelda.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
for me, the biggest criticism i had with Ori was the combat, its a little bland. The platforming and other things are A1

hollow knight kind of does it all, but maybe it's a little long in the tooth but thats part of why i like it also. It feels like more of an epic-adventure game like zelda.

Yeah, Ori 1 vs. Hollow Knight, HK beats it in most categories, outside of traversal mechanics and gfx on a technical level. Art-style tho, it's a toss up. Music was close, but I gave that an edge to HK as well.

I think you'd like combat in Ori 2 tho, as it's extremely better and more versatile and that's why they've designed the boss fights so well around those as well. HK still allow for a bit more build types overall, as it's combat style leans more like an action rpg than Ori did. But both have you able to swap in/out abilities pretty much on the fly.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
that’s ironic…just loaded up the game and I’m at 9h 24m and I feel like I’m just getting started…just beat the 2nd boss…on my way to probably beat the yellow EMMI…just got the plasma cannon, grapple beam and bomb…not sure how much shyt is left tho
Took me 11 hours. More like 10 as I let the game sit while I did other stuff a couple times.

I'm probably gonna try to get just under three hours on hard either this weekend or next

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
got the ugly ass grabbity suit…samus out here dressed like an italian space mom :wow:

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
anybody else retarded and use the space jump to completely “color in” every portion of the map? :mjlol:

yYPWbY.gif

Last edited:

RIPODB

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Side
Raven Beak bagged up.

Couple thoughts

1. I initially had questions about the length of the game. After playing it I no longer have those questions. I cleared it in just under 10 hours but enjoyed it the whole way. There’s no filler.

2. The boss fights are not impossible but they’re tough. I think if you can beat this game you are pretty legit. You’re definitely not trash, at least. (I spent way too much time on the twin Chozos before realizing they are weak to missile storm :snoop:)

3. Can any of the coli brehs recommend other games in this genre? Switch or PS5. Maybe dead cells? Hades? Never played either.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Raven Beak bagged up.

Couple thoughts

1. I initially had questions about the length of the game. After playing it I no longer have those questions. I cleared it in just under 10 hours but enjoyed it the whole way. There’s no filler.

2. The boss fights are not impossible but they’re tough. I think if you can beat this game you are pretty legit. You’re definitely not trash, at least. (I spent way too much time on the twin Chozos before realizing they are weak to missile storm :snoop:)

3. Can any of the coli brehs recommend other games in this genre? Switch or PS5. Maybe dead cells? Hades? Never played either.

We were just talking about other metroidvania above, with the two best ones moving the genre forward being Ori and Hollow Knight. The biggest difference with those compared to this is that neither are shooter based.