white boy

giphy.gif

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yes that matters a lot. If Timbaland revealed he wrote You Owe Me and had it made and Nas just re-did the vocals, no one really cares. Just like if we find out Drake was given One Dance. They're just catchy commercial crossover songs, no Nas or Drake stans go crazy for those songs.

If we find out Cormega wrote Illmatic then it's something different.
Both Timbaland and Dr Dre have collaborators making beats for them and they oversee the final result and modify it.

revan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Why does it matter in hip-hop if you wrote the song or not?

Genuinely asking because no other genre has that requirement. Is it because rap is the easiest Genre?
Other genres have some other talent to display, like singing and dancing.

If you're not writing your rap music, what are you bringing to the table artistically?

Culturally, it became foundational for MCs to write their own music. If you don't, that's fine but don't compare yourself to those that do - it's really simple.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Ok Continue to look stupid :sas2:
I don't look stupid at all. I'm accepting of reality. You and people like you were the ones that found out the world didn't work the way you thought it should and threw a fit.

You'll never see me calling Drake the GOAT or anything close to it but he has some tracks I like and listen to and I don't really care if he wrote them or not. It's plenty of forms of media where people have other people write for them. For all we know Drake could have wrote a song out and gave it to another artist to have them refine it. There are people out here putting out books that basically do that.

OrdaineD

Pro
Daps
Why does it matter in hip-hop if you wrote the song or not?

Genuinely asking because no other genre has that requirement. Is it because rap is the easiest Genre?

That was the artistic purity of the genre. Which to me separated it from ALL others. You spoke it you wrote it. It has always been since it's inception especially for the ones claiming to the greatest MC. Which is exactly what Drake was doing until the Meek shyt then he stopped with the greatest MC shyt. Drake is literally Milli Vanilli or Vanilla Ice, it's clear as day. Rap is art form. This is a hip hop board it's sad how the standard has falling to now you have people making excuses and bringing up Beyonce and Motown to justify this fraud.

I personally like Drake music but he is not nor has ever been a top MC EVER. He is an amalgamation of whichever styles he is sharking or wave riding..... Jay-Z on steroids. Reference tracks were reserved for the bytches who were given passes. But there no other top 5 or even top 20 rap claimants with reference tracks. Whole entire verses....Drake is Bow Wow on SoSo Def status.

Songs do knock sure but this rap shyt this MC shyt is not him in ANYWAY whatsoever. And that should be ok.

But the fact he isn't an MC clearly hurts his soul and his fans. If it didn't matter then why all the juelzing why all the defection?

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
I presume that he can. He's written hits in other genres, so I don't see why he couldn't write at least some of his rhymes.

Him being exposed for Jumbotron doesn't meant he doesn't write any of his shyt.

Then he needs to keep doing so. To answer your question, it matters because if we're talking about who's the best, I'd always prefer someone good at writing and rapping, versus someone more dependent on writers.