Men have an expiration date too.... When it comes to a career

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:ufdup:Age discrimination is real as fukk.

Corporate and IT Jobs are not out here hiring 38 y.o nikkas for Entry or mid level jobs.

I know so many old dudes 40+ who got IT certs and can't do shyt with it.

Th problem is they don't have enough knowledge or experience for senior level jobs and they aren't young enough for entry level positions.

I know a dude teaching IT classes. full of Old and young people - the people who were getting offers off the back were between ages 23-35.

Also alot IT jobs are starting to require a bachelors or 8 years of experience.

If i were to change careers Id just lie on my resume.:ehh:

FSP

Banned
Daps
It's true. I can't say for men but women can go through this as well.

My mom was a lawyer for almost 10 years back in Ghana.

Once she got to America, she found that her law degree was practically worthless and barely got a position paying $50k, she was already in her early 30s by this time.

She decided to switch careers and become a nurse which is much more lucrative(especially in NYC). Went through a nursing program in 4 years and finally became an RN and got a job at the largest hospital in the Bronx(still works there today) Got her masters 5 years later to become a licensed NP and now finishing her PhD at age 54.

In both her masters and PhD programs, most of her classmates were 20 years younger than her.
Umm, and...?

Is that supposed to be an issue?

FSP

Banned
Daps
:ufdup:Age discrimination is real as fukk.

Corporate and IT Jobs are not out here hiring 38 y.o nikkas for Entry or mid level jobs.

I know so many old dudes 40+ who got IT certs and can't do shyt with it.

Th problem is they don't have enough knowledge or experience for senior level jobs and they aren't young enough for entry level positions.

I know a dude teaching IT classes. full of Old and young people - the people who were getting offers off the back were between ages 23-35.

Also alot IT jobs are starting to require a bachelors or 8 years of experience.

If i were to change careers Id just lie on my resume.:ehh:
Nope. Network. Lying on an IT resume LOL. Better inflate them years

This thread is ironic because the content is true, but the way around that isn't to lock yourself in a hole and study like it's high school. Not really. You need to meet the right people who can grant you that flexibility. Otherwise, like you said, you're playing a young mans game.

FSP

Banned
Daps
I fukked my 20s up partying, traveling the world & wasting time on women.

Im 30 now & doing online/night schooling, at least I already work in my industry during the day.

At least I dont have a kid, wife or serious gf to weigh me down. I wanna buy a house in less than 5 years brehs
How is that fukking your 20's up? :dahell: Real shyt...because that's not something you can do in your 40+s and have the same fun

FishNGrits

Superstar
Daps
This is true. At 25 I had nothing I thought I was gonna be a bum and have to work retail or construction my whole like.but stuck with the game plan and grinded the shyt out. Now at 26 I'm making 70k and gonna be 100+ by 30
You a IT cat also? I like reading shyt like this cause im only 24 and feel like im never going to make it out this warehouse. I failed out of school but I think im ready to go back.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Nope. Network. Lying on an IT resume LOL. Better inflate them years

This thread is ironic because the content is true, but the way around that isn't to lock yourself in a hole and study like it's high school. Not really. You need to meet the right people who can grant you that flexibility. Otherwise, like you said, you're playing a young mans game.

Yes of course network. But i would assume people should know that off back most IT professionals I met that were 40+ have some sort if consulting gig on the side with someone they met through networking.

How is that fukking your 20's up? :dahell: Real shyt...because that's not something you can do in your 40+s and have the same fun

I think people are being too cut and dry. I know people who did both partied in college + traveled while working in IT it's definitely possible.

The only thing of course is the older you get the less flexible you are.

FSP

Banned
Daps
You a IT cat also? I like reading shyt like this cause im only 24 and feel like im never going to make it out this warehouse. I failed out of school but I think im ready to go back.
Bless you homie. Same situation. I was 24 with 2 kids working in the mailroom and sometimes not at all.

Now I'm 26 and it's looking up. Not at 70k (but around 50k full time). my job has it's own perks that can make a brother feel good.

If you need some help with IT there are brehs on here who can give you that help. I consider myself one.

Last edited:

FSP

Banned
Daps
Yes of course network. But i would assume people should know that off back most IT professionals I met that were 40+ have some sort if consulting gig on the side with someone they met through networking.

I think people are being too cut and dry. I know people who did both partied in college + traveled while working in IT it's definitely possible.

The only thing of course is the older you get the less flexible you are.
i'm just talking as an experienced introvert.

When it comes to this job market, ain't nothing more valuable than a good social network.

It can extend your expiration date lol

FishNGrits

Superstar
Daps
Bless you homie. Same situation. I was 24 with 2 kids working in the mailroom and sometimes not at all.

Now I'm 26 and it's looking up. Not at 70k (but around 50k full time). my job has it's own perks that can make a brother feel good.

If you need some help with IT there are brehs on here who can give you that help. I consider myself one.
yea good looking. I been lurking that IT thread yall have on here somewhere for a min. I havent decided on IT or a trade like HVAC yet but im going to my local CC this week to speak to some one about getting back into the books and shyt.

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
It's true. I can't say for men but women can go through this as well.

My mom was a lawyer for almost 10 years back in Ghana.

Once she got to America, she found that her law degree was practically worthless and barely got a position paying $50k, she was already in her early 30s by this time.

She decided to switch careers and become a nurse which is much more lucrative(especially in NYC). Went through a nursing program in 4 years and finally became an RN and got a job at the largest hospital in the Bronx(still works there today) Got her masters 5 years later to become a licensed NP and now finishing her PhD at age 54.

In both her masters and PhD programs, most of her classmates were 20 years younger than her.
Why did she move to America? Pretty sure african professionals make alot of money in africa.

FSP

Banned
Daps
yea good looking. I been lurking that IT thread yall have on here somewhere for a min. I havent decided on IT or a trade like HVAC yet but im going to my local CC this week to speak to some one about getting back into the books and shyt.
My boy does HVAC. Good pay. Good way to segue into a contractor/business owner

I personally like IT because it gives you the possibility to work remotely. When I said perks, that's what i meant. I eat/sleep/gym/work whenever the fukk I feel like it. I honestly feels like I have my own business, and I really think it's the future of work in IT. fukk offices.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Why did she move to America? Pretty sure african professionals make alot of money in africa.

Ghana's economy(and many other countries) was unstable and in crumbles back in the 80s and 90s. Hell, it's the very reason why many Africans in general were leaving in droves to America and Europe past 40 years. Hence why both areas have large African populations today. Even if you had a job back home, you were just as easily likely to lose it back then.

She was married to my dad and wanted to follow him to the US since he had already arrived there first. My dad was a doctor back home but his career transition wasn't nearly as bad as my mom's was. She thought her transition to continuing her law career in America would be as smooth as my dad successfully did with his medical career.

Boy was she wrong, unless you went to a top 15 law school in the US, no major law firm in NYC was gonna pay $160k a year to a foreign degree.

Last edited: