Mel Gibson's next movie Hacksaw Ridge will be THE WWII film (Trailer Inside)

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tlve-Z.gif

FIRST DAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:dead:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
You better not be overly dikk riding like these marvel DC faggets, cuz I like your review and I plan on seeing it this weekend.

Like I said, if you got any issues with the movie it's most likely with how naively Hallmark the first half of the movie can be at times. The second half is seriously insane.

I thought it was pretty great, in spite of Gibson's need to go for cheese a bit too often. Between he and Eastwood, the last two mainstream "classicist" directors, I'd much rather see Mel get more work.

Though, having said that....Letters From Iwo Jima is a better, and oddly similar, film.

Don't forget Ron Howard. Although he has the occasional misses (and the less said about his Dan Brown adaptations, the better), he belongs up there with them.

About the cheesy moments, I forgot to mention that the ending of the movie is almost hilarious in how heroic Mel made things seem all of a sudden, but it earns the right to do so far more than the tone in the first half does.

• Dap
Reactions: HHR

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Those battle sequences :dwillhuh:. Had me jumping in my seat a couple times.

Teresa Palmer :banderas:

Smitty. I was :pacspit: at this
bullying motherfukker early on, but in battle? Motherfukking Rambo!!!
:mindblown:

Smitty was a pure alpha male. I don't think he hated Doss, he really thought that he was just a coward who had no business being there.

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Smitty was a pure alpha male. I don't think he hated Doss, he really thought that he was just a coward who had no business being there.

Agreed, but I'm talking mainly about
the shyt like kicking at Doss on the rope climb because he's going to overtake you in the training drills. Smitty was on some foul shyt there.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Agreed, but I'm talking mainly about
the shyt like kicking at Doss on the rope climb because he's going to overtake you in the training drills. Smitty was on some foul shyt there.

That shyt was foul but again, it wasn't because he was a bully, it was because he was an alpha male.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Catching this and Arrival next weekend.

Strange tomorrow

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
This movie was incredible. .. this is the first time a war movie scared me, literally anyone and everyone could die at any moment.

Also im glad Japan is into sniffin underwear nowadays, these dudes used to be monsters.

The movie gets criticized here and there for supposed jingoism but I think a lot of those people don't even know how hardcore the Japanese were back in the day. This was a time where they still believed that their emperor was a direct descendant of the gods, a living embodiment of divine power.:dwillhuh:

Anyway, I saw the movie again today and something I forgot in my review is the role played by Hugo Weaving as Doss' father. The character is very much written as a parallel to Mel's own problems with alcoholism, with the mother character assuring a young Desmond that despite his abusive behavior he doesn't hate them, he just hates himself, and that his behavior since he started drinking doesn't reflect the man he really is. As someone whose been a witness to how alcoholism (and depression) can change a man completely, this sums up pretty much how I always felt about Mel, but for Mel himself to actually "excuse" his actions like this was kinda ballsy on his part. In that regard his own turn in Blood Father was a far more proper apology for his past mistakes than this.