Mel Gibson's next movie Hacksaw Ridge will be THE WWII film (Trailer Inside)

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
movie looks a weak and cheesy, but one thing i trust Mel with are action scenes.

not a fan of Andrew Garfield and Sam Worthington individually.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Yall gonna go out and support this grand wizard but wont spend on birth of a nation :snoop:

Who says the people interested in this aren't interested in The Birth Of A Nation?:jbhmm:

Matter of fact, why can't people be both?:patrice:

Seeing this tomorrow btw, can't friggin' wait!:whoo:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
90% on RT :ohhh:

can't say I'm surprised that mel the goat gibson made another classic :yeshrug:

Mel tryna get back into the jewish elites good graces, he knows they can't resist a good WW2 movie watch them oscars start pouring in:myman:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
War flicks, I love. IDGAF about his personal life or issues. As long as I'm provided quality entertainment.

Anyone seen Mel lately? Dude looking a terrorist. :pachaha:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Just got back from it and :wow:

It's not a perfect movie, because the first hour sometimes borders on Hallmark levels of cheese (for a reason), but holy fukking shyt, that second half, brehs...

To get to the point, the first half or so spends its time leading up to Doss heading out to the titular Hacksaw Ridge as he grows up with an alcoholic father, falls in love with a kind nurse and is bullied and court martialed for his beliefs during boot camp. A lot of it, especially the stuff before he enlists, is almost comically "naive" (Spielberg-esque maybe?). It sets up the incredibly strong juxtaposition once the fighting begins (that's the reason I mentioned above, but more on that later), but I swear to Mel's God that there's an actual scene here where Doss walks through a forest, finds a bird's feather with a big goofy grin (because he saw the nurse he likes has a book about birds), whistles a bird's tune and the bird sings back at him. Again, this is an actual scene that happens.:russ:

The same goes for the boot camp, which before getting into the resentment against Doss for him refusing to carry a weapon (and the whole squad getting punished for it), starts off with the good ol' Full Metal Jacket drill sergeant scene, but one that goes more for the comedy as sgt. Vince Vaughn (who overall fits surprisingly well in the movie) mocks the entire squad and gives most of them their nicknames. The rest of the scenes focus on Desmond Doss' real life Steve Rogers determination to do what he can for his country, even if he might not be the best man fit for it and of course, refuses to carry a weapon. Like a lot of the first hour it plays out very lightly, with a lot of melodrama and so many strings in the musical score you feel like you're back in 1992.

Then they hit Okinawa and I'll have to repeat myself, holy fukking shyt! The movie prepares you gently in a pretty great scene as the fresh boys, their uniforms still clean, have to step aside for the trucks coming back from the battlefield, loaded with the corpses of all the men who died and the men who survived, covered in dirt and blood, gazing into nothing with crazed eyes. They meet up with the men who are still able to fight, and they tell their stories of horror. They climb the ridge, and as the battle unleashes, so unleashes the true talent of Mad Mel, the man who gave us Braveheart and Apocalypto, and the relentlessness of the unholy gore of war he delivers upon us is on a level not even he has touched before.

It's a shift in tone so intense and insane that you release the whole first hour was almost a trick. It settled you into the comfy tone of that naive Doss and the lightheartedness of the world he comes from, and instantly it tears all of that away as instantly as the explosions and gunfire tear away the limbs of half the characters you were comically introduced to half an hour ago. I have no idea how long this battle scene lasts but it feels like it lasts forever, and that's not a complaint, it's a compliment because for all the talk about war is hell, I don't think I've ever seen a movie capture that saying so accurately as Mel does here. This shyt has to be some of the most brutal warfare ever put on film period. There's no breathing pause, the fighting just goes on and on at the end of it there are more maimed and mutilated people than all of the victims in the entirety of the Saw series put together.

But that's not even the selling moment. It's what happens next. They take the day, and have a small breather and some bonding at night. Then, at the break of dawn, the Japanese advance again and the fighting begins again. And it's at this moment that you truly realize how fukked it is as the relentless onslaught of this battle continues like it never stopped and will never stop, not until every single last one of the people on screen is torn to pieces.

The movie then switches tone again, and the rawness of the battle makes way for the conviction of Doss to save every man he can, and the transition from the raw down-to-earth massacring to this almost cerebral salutation of Doss' accomplishments is so fukking smooth that I sat there staring at it in pure awe. It made so little sense for this to possibly work that the mere fact that it does, is enough to blow your mind. The fact that it achieves far more than that, is nothing but confirmation that Mel Gibson is undefeated, undisputed and unparalleled at capturing the emotion of battle. I feel like I could, should and need to write at least ten more paragraphs to sell this point, using every single word my vocabulary has to offer, but I'll just leave it at this:

If the first half feels like maybe a 6/7 out of 10, the second half feels like a goddamn 15/10. And to convince you of this, that the second half of the movie is nothing short of a 15/10, let me tell you about another scene that actually happens in the movie, and I want you to remember that this scene, which is real, happens in the same movie where earlier a man whistles to a bird in a forest that whistles back to him:

In the first battle scene, Smitty, the all-American bad-ass of the squad is hugged up against tree pinned down by suppressive fire from the Japanese. Half a torso of a blown up soldier lies next to him, and he picks it up and charges at the Japanese holding up the torso as a shield as he hip fires his machine gun mowing down like five Japanese guys.

And I hear you thinking now, what the fukk, you can't be serious about that? :dwillhuh:

But I am serious and the crazy thing is that it fukking works! You just sit there like :leon::mindblown::lupe::whoo::damn: because it's the fukking scariest, intense thing you've ever seen and you have no idea how anyone could get away with this. But Mel does, because he's a friggin' madman!

Daps
Reppin
Charlotte, North Carolina

It's not a perfect movie, because the first hour sometimes borders on Hallmark levels of cheese (for a reason), but holy fukking shyt, that second half, brehs...

To get to the point, the first half or so spends its time leading up to Doss heading out to the titular Hacksaw Ridge as he grows up with an alcoholic father, falls in love with a kind nurse and is bullied and court martialed for his beliefs during boot camp. A lot of it, especially the stuff before he enlists, is almost comically "naive" (Spielberg-esque maybe?). It sets up the incredibly strong juxtaposition once the fighting begins (that's the reason I mentioned above, but more on that later), but I swear to Mel's God that there's an actual scene here where Doss walks through a forest, finds a bird's feather with a big goofy grin (because he saw the nurse he likes has a book about birds), whistles a bird's tune and the bird sings back at him. Again, this is an actual scene that happens.:russ:

The same goes for the boot camp, which before getting into the resentment against Doss for him refusing to carry a weapon (and the whole squad getting punished for it), starts off with the good ol' Full Metal Jacket drill sergeant scene, but one that goes more for the comedy as sgt. Vince Vaughn (who overall fits surprisingly well in the movie) mocks the entire squad and gives most of them their nicknames. The rest of the scenes focus on Desmond Doss' real life Steve Rogers determination to do what he can for his country, even if he might not be the best man fit for it and of course, refuses to carry a weapon. Like a lot of the first hour it plays out very lightly, with a lot of melodrama and so many strings in the musical score you feel like you're back in 1992.

Then they hit Okinawa and I'll have to repeat myself, holy fukking shyt! The movie prepares you gently in a pretty great scene as the fresh boys, their uniforms still clean, have to step aside for the trucks coming back from the battlefield, loaded with the corpses of all the men who died and the men who survived, covered in dirt and blood, gazing into nothing with crazed eyes. They meet up with the men who are still able to fight, and they tell their stories of horror. They climb the ridge, and as the battle unleashes, so unleashes the true talent of Mad Mel, the man who gave us Braveheart and Apocalypto, and the relentlessness of the unholy gore of war he delivers upon us is on a level not even he has touched before.

It's a shift in tone so intense and insane that you release the whole first hour was almost a trick. It settled you into the comfy tone of that naive Doss and the lightheartedness of the world he comes from, and instantly it tears all of that away as instantly as the explosions and gunfire tear away the limbs of half the characters you were comically introduced to half an hour ago. I have no idea how long this battle scene lasts but it feels like it lasts forever, and that's not a complaint, it's a compliment because for all the talk about war is hell, I don't think I've ever seen a movie capture that saying so accurately as Mel does here. This shyt has to be some of the most brutal warfare ever put on film period. There's no breathing pause, the fighting just goes on and on at the end of it there are more maimed and mutilated people than all of the victims in the entirety of the Saw series put together.

But that's not even the selling moment. It's what happens next. They take the day, and have a small breather and some bonding at night. Then, at the break of dawn, the Japanese advance again and the fighting begins again. And it's at this moment that you truly realize how fukked it is as the relentless onslaught of this battle continues like it never stopped and will never stop, not until every single last one of the people on screen is torn to pieces.

The movie then switches tone again, and the rawness of the battle makes way for the conviction of Doss to save every man he can, and the transition from the raw down-to-earth massacring to this almost cerebral salutation of Doss' accomplishments is so fukking smooth that I sat there staring at it in pure awe. It made so little sense for this to possibly work that the mere fact that it does, is enough to blow your mind. The fact that it achieves far more than that, is nothing but confirmation that Mel Gibson is undefeated, undisputed and unparalleled at capturing the emotion of battle. I feel like I could, should and need to write at least ten more paragraphs to sell this point, using every single word my vocabulary has to offer, but I'll just leave it at this:

If the first half feels like maybe a 6/7 out of 10, the second half feels like a goddamn 15/10. And to convince you of this, that the second half of the movie is nothing short of a 15/10, let me tell you about another scene that actually happens in the movie, and I want you to remember that this scene, which is real, happens in the same movie where earlier a man whistles to a bird in a forest that whistles back to him:

In the first battle scene, Smitty, the all-American bad-ass of the squad is hugged up against tree pinned down by suppressive fire from the Japanese. Half a torso of a blown up soldier lies next to him, and he picks it up and charges at the Japanese holding up the torso as a shield as he hip fires his machine gun mowing down like five Japanese guys.

And I hear you thinking now, what the fukk, you can't be serious about that? :dwillhuh:

But I am serious and the crazy thing is that it fukking works! You just sit there like :leon::mindblown::lupe::whoo::damn: because it's the fukking scariest, intense thing you've ever seen and you have no idea how anyone could get away with this. But Mel does, because he's a friggin' madman!

tlve-Z.gif

FIRST DAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky

You better not be overly dikk riding like these marvel DC faggets, cuz I like your review and I plan on seeing it this weekend.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I thought it was pretty great, in spite of Gibson's need to go for cheese a bit too often. Between he and Eastwood, the last two mainstream "classicist" directors, I'd much rather see Mel get more work.

Though, having said that....Letters From Iwo Jima is a better, and oddly similar, film.