Medical racism may explain why blacks avoided the opioid crisis

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Even in the 60's and 70's, whites made up the majority of heroin users in the country. I'm sure the latent racism of white doctors played a role, just not as large a role as the article suggests. The vast majority of the new heroin users were white kids who took prescription recreationally . The argument that they were innocently hooked because of a bad ankle sprain is specious because it masks white abuse of drugs and frames it as a mistake due to prescription happy doctors and not due to personal choice. Secondly, heroin use is now heavily stigmatized in the black community because of the 60's and 70's, plenty of people lost family members to the needle. This had a chilling effect on would be new black users. Had plenty of family members tell me they'd rather I smoke weed than ever fukk with "heron." Anecdotal but still. Racist assumptions about black pain tolerance held by white doctors is a piece of why black people may have avoided this wave, but it seems to be an incomplete explanation as to why most heroin users nowadays are white. Plenty of pill mills out here who will gladly write a script to anyone who will pay for a fake pain assessment.
I'm not saying its a sole reason, but its a big reason that no one talks about and it may explain PHARMACEUTICAL abuse.

Specifically with respect to the modern crisis, we are seeing in relation to pharmaceuticals. This is different from street drug use. Which has declined generally.

PILLS alone would easily be explained by this.

Yeah, culture matters in terms of black history, but I think you're not appreciating the impact that the under-prescription of opioids to black patients may have ended up saving lives.

Think about it. Doctors have been saying for years they need to reduce many of these prescriptions. Whats not to say they saw blacks as additionally already being undeserving of the prescriptions on top of controlled efforts to reduce access to the pills.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Wait... were suppose to participate in opioids nonsense whites are partaking in :mjlol:
May have ended up saving many black lives in an unintended way.

Its worth investigating.

Blacks are all up in the hospitals so where are these black deaths?

Now, clearly many black people have died in this opioid epidemic. Not saying they haven't...but the disparities are stark.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
racism saving black people?:stopitslime:...docs could give black folks the same drugs they giving whites and whites still gon be the main ones oding...i dont think black folks would get hooked on opiates if docs start prescribing them...most black folks do have respect for themselves and self control and dont naturally follow white people down into degeneracy...
What you "think" isn't important.

Biology doesn't react to "how you think"

Blacks die from OD-ing all the time. This isn't solely on culture.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Idk about your ganges river DNA :mjlol:but I'm 100 percent certain we can handle pain better :stopitslime:

That's physical and mental :usure:
Check our suicide rates:mjgrin:
This the hotep bullshyt I'm talking about. Theres NO evidence of this.

Suicide is often mental...not biological or as a result of accidental ODing.

This is just pseudoscience in the reverse.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
blacks make up 13% of america and 7% of opiate related deaths. we're not out of the woods. medical racism (aka access) may explain why we're not at least 13% of the deaths, but i wouldn't say we avoided anything. asian americans avoided it.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Already knew about this :yeshrug::ehh:
Has been repeated off and on in the news for the past 10 years:jbhmm:

SIDENOTE:
Alot of the heroin issues in the 60s & 70s stemmed from gi's coming home from war hooked.

With that said...
016151e9a35828bbb35021ef22e50711.jpg

Blackgate

💩🔛🤡🤡🤡
Daps
What you "think" isn't important.

Biology doesn't react to "how you think"

Blacks die from OD-ing all the time. This isn't solely on culture.

"biology" does react to how one thinks...i believe that is how addiction works...you think blacks would become opiate abusers if they could..i think they wouldnt... neither one of us knows the outcome but you seem to be expecting the worse out of black people:mjpls:...

Ricky Dunigan

Superstar
Daps
I remember when my ex broke her ankle... She was messed up and i had to do most of the talking, but I had to fight like hell to make sure she got proper pain meds.

Even then, we couldn't get the pills ( percs i think, may have been something else) anywhere near where we lived ( primarily black and latino area) :martin:

Now, in fairness, we did end up popping them together later :lolbron: , but only because taking them regularly while she was on the mend made her constipated and there was no use letting the script go to waste...

Benefited

Banned
Daps
No. You're missing the point.

Its that the notion that doctors who may inadvertently or directly have racist views, tend to see black patients as either undeserving of access to pain pills either out of stereotypical attitudes of "blacks abusing drugs" OR the notion that blacks are "less susceptible to pain" which are both UNTRUE.

Its a loophole of the very racism implemented on their behalf.

Its not that whites are "whiny"

Theres on evidence whites need more or less sensitivity to pain to any appreciable degree than any other race.

And even then, "race" itself isn't clearly defined in this context because "white" doesn't mean much if you're talking about the vast stretches of what is classified as "white"

he's right,its not about being more susceptible to pain. But theres no doubt that black people are willing to put up with pain more than whites. Part of that is due to us being more likely to not carry medical insurance as adults. Just because poverty forced us to HAVE to put up with pain and sickness more. We culturally have that wait and see period that carries over from poverty as children into adult hood. It has allowed us to be tougher when it comes to dealing with pain rather than a medical bill. Plus we are suspicious of doctors anyway,I'm not giving these doctors much credit at all. Alot of black people just don't like pills despite what this rap culture of junkies may have you thinking. You cant compare it to the 70's when crack was alot easier to trust because it was being sold by our own people:mjcry: Many black people are scared to death of pills for whatever reason,letalong taking them long term.

This needs to be nipped in the bud because it also is causing us to die based on preventable medical issues. But then again we were right and these doctors ain't shyt,pick your poison folks:sas1:.

not to mention blacks dont have the support system to be opiate junkies.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
"biology" does react to how one thinks...i believe that is how addiction works...you think blacks would become opiate abusers if they could..i think they wouldnt... neither one of us knows the outcome but you seem to be expecting the worse out of black people:mjpls:...
Belief has nothing to do with a biochemical mechanism of addiction you fukking idiot. This is some backwards ass thinking.

Its unscientific.

It has no evidence

and its not factual.

THIS is the established and modern science. Stop embarrassing us. I didn't get into this field as a black male to permit our community to take root in conspiracy and pseudoscience.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
he's right,its not about being more susceptible to pain. But theres no doubt that black people are willing to put up with pain more than whites. Part of that is due to us being more likely to not carry medical insurance as adults. Just because poverty forced us to HAVE to put up with pain and sickness more. We culturally have that wait and see period that carries over from poverty as children into adult hood. It has allowed us to be tougher when it comes to dealing with pain rather than a medical bill. Plus we are suspicious of doctors anyway,I'm not giving these doctors much credit at all. Alot of black people just don't like pills despite what this rap culture of junkies may have you thinking. You cant compare it to the 70's when crack was alot easier to trust because it was being sold by our own people:mjcry: Many black people are scared to death of pills for whatever reason,letalong taking them long term.

This needs to be nipped in the bud because it also is causing us to die based on preventable medical issues. But then again we were right and these doctors ain't shyt,pick your poison folks:sas1:.

not to mention blacks dont have the support system to be opiate junkies.
This just reinforces my original point.

Disparities in access to medicine, care, insurance, etc. result in these gaps in the opioid crisis.