Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Yes it should. Drake and Kanye are two of the most influential artists of the last 15 years and both come from under the influence of Harlem World. Mase held Bad Boy down after Biggie’s passing. The album was as lyrical as it was flamboyant and shiny

You have an outdated lens
It’s just not that good of an album, albeit, it had a massive impact. So I understand it being somewhere in the back half, but when we are at 26, we should be talking damn near perfect albums.

But maybe your take on it is that we would have ranked it even higher, but it lacks quality.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I would argue it could be higher and I don’t even care for it too much.
Every woman loved that album and while it may not have been the type of dudes who go on message boards I’m sure everyone on this board who’s old enough had a few friends who lived and breathed that album.
Highly influential.
I’m 44. I bought the album the day it came out on cassette. Quality wise, how would you rank it? 3? 3.5?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
It’s just not that good of an album, albeit, it had a massive impact. So I understand it being somewhere in the back half, but when we are at 26, we should be talking damn near perfect albums.

But maybe your take on it is that we would have ranked it even higher, but it lacks quality.

I played Puff Daddy and the family waaaay more at the time.

But that ma$e album had some jawns.

I basically only go back to the singles from harlem world now.

The highs were really high.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I played Puff Daddy and the family waaaay more at the time.

But that ma$e album had some jawns.

I basically only go back to the singles from harlem world now.

The highs were really high.
Pretty sure he was the first with a Neptunes beat.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Harlem World ain't no damn Top 20 NYC album.

And I copped the album the first day it dropped, and I'm from Harlem!

More than 1/2 the album was super trash. And that's the thing with lists. People throw things on that were popular at the time. But these joints should be all-time classics. Joints that can't even be debated. Especially this high on the list. That's reserved for the best ever. If we're talking Bad Boy, No Way Out was mad better than Harlem World, and that sh*t was a few posts back. And how is that anywhere close to being better than Long Live the Kane?

This list is mad questionable, but this is why you can't take them that seriously.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
That Harlem World album shouldn't be in a category of greatest albums

p diddy shiny suit era is what started the NY downfall. Rewarding such albums doesn't make sense culturally. That would be like when engineering company decides to use more cheap parts to save costs, but then adds bunch of bling bling on the exterior to fool the customers into buying it like it's the greatest thing right now.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Yea I'm lost. Ready To Die has to be a top 10 NY rap album or at the very least shouldn't be supplanted by IWW and RD lol.

I get it, this is impossible to do. There are too many classics and there will always be a war waged between which 80s albums go first and which 90s albums go first. But I think everyone in this thread would probably put Ready To Die in a top ten right? Perhaps the issue is not wanting to have an artist with two albums in the top ten, so he chose Life After Death instead. I get that but still...

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
So what's left?
Illmatic
The Infamous
36 Chambers
Paid in Full
Cuban Linx
Get rich of die tryin
Life after death
Blueprint
Low end theory

I got some questions on previous selections. Where is Gang Starr's Step in the Arena joint? It is considered 2nd best work behind Daily Operation. I would take Moment of Truth off the list and put that one in.

Stepinthearena.jpg

Also I didn't see EPMD's Unfinished Business. It is considered their best album and should easily get the top 100 nod. It is one of the most classic east coast albums, not having it in but having westside gunn albums, etc. doesn't quite make sense to me.

Unfinishedbusiness.jpg

That Method Man Tical album was average as hell because of the floods. I would probably rate ODB's Return to 36 chamber higher than Tical

Odb_welfare.jpg

Beatnuts stay getting disrespected on all these lists. Street Level is an excellent album and should get the nod somewhere in top 100.

The_Beatnuts_-_Street_Level_album_cover.jpg

Questionable placing. By any means necessary too low, Liquid Swords way too low. Etc.

I don't think albums like ruff ryders vol 1 deserve the 100 nod. Inconsistent quality out there, might as well throw in 50 Cent's Massacre album then which was also half classic half trash.

Bacdafucup is far more classic album than All we got iz uz. Slam is still getting played to this day.

Last edited: