Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
The thing with New York hip hop is there are enough albums that ny list of 100 will have innumerable moments of "okay, you included this." But the order here is as lacking in historical and experiential context as if a random computer algorithm got fed a list as was asked to sort them. Not even an insult, really. The list is bad. And it almost always would be. Unless you convened a group of people between 27 and 55 who were also hyper tuned into history and legit from the places the music really made its mark etc.

FACTS!!

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
You coming at me wrong (pause) because I'm not even shytting on you if you really stop look and listen word to Lyte. But yeah, I'm from MH-AK Houses in Harlem and my fam is between there and BK (specifically Fort Greene, Bed-Stuy) and I have a legendary MC in my fam who is at every cookout and another legendary MC who is a friend of the fam and others on your list I know personally, so I'm going to feel how I feel with full confidence regardless of anything you post.

But, in fairness, I might just try to get some people together to do a list.

You’re not understanding the point. If a black content creator takes the time to make a Top 100 Hip Hop Albums list as an answer to a white publication list, hip hop fans should respect the effort of one of their own first and foremost instead of shytting on them for their choices. Especially if it’s a semi legit list

Yall (not specifically you) do not do this. Yall would rather bytch and moan about minor placings on the list. Which is an overarching issue with black people in general. A lot of complaints but no action

When you complain about something you’re subjecting yourself as a slave to that person’s opinion. The correct thing to do as a freethinker or a man of action is to make your own list (which means you’d have to make your own platform) or contribute to a platform

We do not do this. All we do is complain about dumb shyt or gossip

There’s important Hip Hop albums that are left out of 90% of Hip Hop lists. We made this list to combat that, and made it NY primarily to give more focus to the Mecca of music. The entire Meccapolis page’s existence is to curate the culture of NYC in the way it should be, like how fine art museums are

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State

Slots 28 to 20

Mad Villany is better than Operation Doomsday?

Harlem World that high?

Beatnuts Street Level better be top 15 or lower.

I also agree with Walt, the list feels random.

Like you can’t look me straight in the face and tell me Moment of Truth had a bigger impact in NY hip hop than Daily Operation or Hard to Earn. Context matters.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
You’re not understanding the point. If a black content creator takes the time to make a Top 100 Hip Hop Albums list as an answer to a white publication list, hip hop fans should respect the effort of one of their own first and foremost instead of shytting on them for their choices. Especially if it’s a semi legit list

Yall (not specifically you) do not do this. Yall would rather bytch and moan about minor placings on the list. Which is an overarching issue with black people in general. A lot of complaints but no action

When you complain about something you’re subjecting yourself as a slave to that person’s opinion. The correct thing to do as a freethinker or a man of action is to make your own list (which means you’d have to make your own platform) or contribute to a platform

We do not do this. All we do is complain about dumb shyt or gossip

There’s important Hip Hop albums that are left out of 90% of Hip Hop lists. We made this list to combat that, and made it NY primarily to give more focus to the Mecca of music. The entire Meccapolis page’s existence is to curate the culture of NYC in the way it should be, like how fine art museums are

people dont like the beauty in the debate. Im not mad at the list. all the albums are worthy to be talked about in some aspect

That Mantronix placement was wild tho.. lol

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
If cats is really mad at placement, they should just do it alphabetically

Have them mad for some other reason

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
What case does Purple Haze have as a top 50 NY album :heh:
Purple Haze is way too bloated, if he cut out the filler ti could've been as good as Come Home With Me but as it stands, too many skits. The hipsters loved it because it was Supreme Clientele Ghostface at .75x speed

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Shout out the thread starter for the effort even if I disagree with the placements. Who gives a fukk if Stetsasonic and Mantronix aren't in the top 10.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Songs off those LOX albums still get played today can’t say the same for some of them old ass albums :francis:

There’s gonna be push back for 00’s albums but it has to be considered that hip hop became commercialized, albums became more formulaic, and artists were expected to hop on the hottest trends and production styles
The LOX got some good songs and obviously their verses and feature runs are elite but their albums as a whole are weak aside from Styles P's solo output. Nothing that deserves to be on a list

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Harlem World shouldn’t be that high.
Yes it should. Drake and Kanye are two of the most influential artists of the last 15 years and both come from under the influence of Harlem World. Mase held Bad Boy down after Biggie’s passing. The album was as lyrical as it was flamboyant and shiny

You have an outdated lens

Knucklehead

HMFIC
Daps
Reppin
Montreal #byrdgang
Harlem World shouldn’t be that high.
I would argue it could be higher and I don’t even care for it too much.
Every woman loved that album and while it may not have been the type of dudes who go on message boards I’m sure everyone on this board who’s old enough had a few friends who lived and breathed that album.
Highly influential.