Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

Budda

Superstar
Daps
I don’t see how people are trying to make it seem like IWW being above RTD is a big deal when some have it above Illnatic.

RTD definitely had more classic radio songs, and bigger hits, but lyrically IWW was on another level. While saying that it still had a couple rimless radio bangers of its own, and some of the best lyrical performances in rap history. How many times have we’ve quoted from The Message on here? ‘ Best friends become strangers’, conceptually how influential was I Gave You Power has a storytelling song? How big of a posse cut was Affirmative Action?

Impact wise sales wise performance wise IWW being ahead of RTD isn’t a big deal, a bigger deal is Reasonable Doubt because while it matches on a lyrical level it’s nowhere near as impactful overall, whether lyrically conceptually or anything else.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I don’t see how people are trying to make it seem like IWW being above RTD is a big deal when some have it above Illnatic.

RTD definitely had more classic radio songs, and bigger hits, but lyrically IWW was on another level. While saying that it still had a couple rimless radio bangers of its own, and some of the best lyrical performances in rap history. How many times have we’ve quoted from The Message on here? ‘ Best friends become strangers’, conceptually how influential was I Gave You Power has a storytelling song? How big of a posse cut was Affirmative Action?

Impact wise sales wise performance wise IWW being ahead of RTD isn’t a big deal, a bigger deal is Reasonable Doubt because while it matches on a lyrical level it’s nowhere near as impactful overall, whether lyrically conceptually or anything else.

giphy.gif

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Ready to Die at 15 is outrageous. And below It Was Written and RD?!!!!!

Yes below It was Written, RD should be below them both but IWW is in the same ball park, quality wise they’re close, but IWW opened the door for much more and had more classic moments. Feature with Lauryn Hill, that still holds up today, posse cut with the Firm with some of the best verses of the 90’s on one track, linkup with another legendary group in Mobb Deep.

One of the most impactful conceptual tracks in rap(I Gave You Power), The Message which is a moment in itself, and so on.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
What CLASSIC record is even on RD?

Why everytime I listen to RD I have to adjust the volume every other song :dahell:

You could argue Dead Presidents 2 is a classic record but RD really gets overhyped because Jigga blew up years later and just proclaimed it a classic when its not.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
You could argue Dead Presidents 2 is a classic record but RD really gets overhyped because Jigga blew up years later and just proclaimed it a classic when its not.

You know what touchtunes is or AMI music is? if u dont DJ next time you out observe the room when you put on dead presidents 2 VS. Juicy/1 More chance or Ruff Ryders anthem.

That shyt is a dub. RD is straight headphone / I'm in the bedroom of my parents house music listening to this on a BOOMBOX.

That song with foxy was probably a smash in Virginia Beach.

but that sample/beat was straight jacked.

shoutout EPMD.

Hook mad gay 2 if I seen anyone singing that shyt in public id laugh out loud.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

I like it was written more than ready to die and reasonable doubt.

When Nas, Big, and Jay were all alive making music, nas was my favorite MC. No reason that I should shuffle the albums around now.

mundL

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think on a list like this all albums are 5 mic albums in the eyes of the person who made the list

Order changes for me too every other year or two