Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
:flabbynsick:

is manatronix the 1 rapping on this album 2?

is "hardcore hip-hop" the sample from brand new funk?

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
WSG is my dude too, but I don’t know if those belong on a Top 100 list for NY.
Hell no. Tana Talk 3 & Burden Of Proof ain’t even on the list :stopitslime:

Jadakiss ain’t even make the list twice!! He don’t even got Kiss of Death on there!! (Maybe he has it in the top 28??) Terrible list :unimpressed:

Last edited:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The thing with New York hip hop is there are enough albums that ny list of 100 will have innumerable moments of "okay, you included this." But the order here is as lacking in historical and experiential context as if a random computer algorithm got fed a list as was asked to sort them. Not even an insult, really. The list is bad. And it almost always would be. Unless you convened a group of people between 27 and 55 who were also hyper tuned into history and legit from the places the music really made its mark etc.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
The thing with New York hip hop is there are enough albums that ny list of 100 will have innumerable moments of "okay, you included this." But the order here is as lacking in historical and experiential context as if a random computer algorithm got fed a list as was asked to sort them. Not even an insult, really. The list is bad. And it almost always would be. Unless you convened a group of people between 27 and 55 who were also hyper tuned into history and legit from the places the music really made its mark etc.

Then you should set it up

You won’t because something else would distract you from it

And the people you gather would get distracted

Hip Hop is not a progressive genre in terms of preservation

We bytch about billboard/complex/pitchfork hip hop lists but don’t make lists of our own. Primarily because we don’t have a for us by us platforms because we’re too busy talking about gossip shyt like Diddy’s videotapes or whether Kendrick beats on his wife or not

This list has a lot of disagreements. Thats fine

But a whole generation of hip hop knowledge minds will die off with nothing no cultural preservation left because they were too busy complaining about lists instead of making their own

We took the initiative to make our own and it’s a lot of bytching as a response

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Then you should set it up

You won’t because something else would distract you from it

And the people you gather would get distracted

Hip Hop is not a progressive genre in terms of preservation

We bytch about billboard/complex/pitchfork hip hop lists but don’t make lists of our own. Primarily because we don’t have a for us by us platforms because we’re too busy talking about gossip shyt like Diddy’s videotapes or whether Kendrick beats on his wife or not

This list has a lot of disagreements. Thats fine

But a whole generation of hip hop knowledge minds will die off with nothing no cultural preservation left because they were too busy complaining about lists instead of making their own

We took the initiative to make our own and it’s a lot of bytching as a response

You coming at me wrong (pause) because I'm not even shytting on you if you really stop look and listen word to Lyte. But yeah, I'm from MH-AK Houses in Harlem and my fam is between there and BK (specifically Fort Greene, Bed-Stuy) and I have a legendary MC in my fam who is at every cookout and another legendary MC who is a friend of the fam and others on your list I know personally, so I'm going to feel how I feel with full confidence regardless of anything you post.

But, in fairness, I might just try to get some people together to do a list.