Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Now he’s trying to justify Rae’s placement because he wore silks before Biggie :dead:

Sh*t is hilarious. LOL!!

Rae over Kane and KRS is ridiculous. And this is coming from someone who stood on line for an hour as a kid to cop OB4CL, the first day it dropped. This is a personal favorites list being pushed as a "Top 100" list. Sh*t is madness.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I respect that opinion.

Here’s the thing though. When talking rappers like Rakim & KRS-ONE we are talking prime because neither guys where great for a long extended period of time. You could say that by the time the 90’s were over both of those guys were washed. No disrespect. But Rakim hasn’t been relevant in 25+ years & he is top 3 on this list.

I say that to say this…

Raekwon’s peak exceeds Ghostface Killah. Heavy involvement and classic verses on 36 Chambers & Tical to dropping maybe the GOAT album OB4CL to being heavily involved in Ironman & countless features (Eye For An Eye, Nighttime Vultures, Skew It on the Bar-B, etc) If we are talking peak with the crazy styles, slang, flow, ability to create some of the hardest NYC bangers of all time I have to have Raekwon ahead of Ghostface Killah. He really revolutionized NYC hip-hop with OB4CL.
KRS had more longevity than Raekwon

He dropped a Gold album and had a single in the Billboard 100 in 1997 Nd he started in the mid-80’s

GFK was on the same albums Raekwon was on, dropped Supreme Clientele in 2000, and had a hit record as far ‘06 in a different lane

And OB4CL was a group effort with GFK all over it y’all giving him too much credit as a solo artist

Last edited:

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Now he’s trying to justify Rae’s placement because he wore silks before Biggie :dead:

I don't mind Rae being overrated for once because he usually underrated. But yeah arguing to put him #2 based on fashion and jewelry is wild. And I sharked my whole style back then from Rae, Ghost, BIG, Nas and AZ too, but far as I can remember they was all dressing similar from late 94 through 97. BIG in the RTD videos, Rae and Ghost in Heaven and Hell late 94, all kind of the same time. And that shyt should really be secondary. Yeah it count as impact but the music should count the most by far.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
KRS had more longevity than Raekwon

He dropped a Gold album and had a single in the Billboard 100 in 1997 Nd he started in the mid-80’s

GFK was on the same albums Raekwon was on, dropped Supreme Clientele in 2000, and had a hit record as far ‘06 in a different lane

And OB4CL was a group effort with GFK all over it y’all giving him too much credit as a solo artist
More longevity? How? Once the 90’s were over KRS was dropping wack shyt. There’s no debate! Let’s be honest, KRS ONE comes off super corny now all these year later. Out here defending pedophiles & making wack ass dance videos. You ever in your life saying the same thing about Raekwon? As a matter of fact, Rae dropped OB4CL2 15 years after Cuban Linx!! That album is FIRE!! No way with a straight face you telling me KRS ONE had more longevity than Raekwon :gucci:

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
What does it matter if OB4CL is better than Ironman?

GFK is on damn near every track of the album :mjtf:

Ghost would be higher on my list than Rae.

But you can't discount that Cuban Linx was Rae's vision. He had a lot of help from RZA and Ghost among others to make it work. But that started with his idea. Knowledge God and Incarcerated Scarfaces are classic as classic gets and it's just him on those, so it's not like he was incapable of solo shyt. But setting the ego aside and understanding it'll be better with Ghost all over the album, even giving him a solo track, he deserve credit for that too.

You can see Ironman as the sequel, and Rae is all over that too, but nobody diminishing Ghost for that. Including a solo Rae track and another group cut without Ghost that's two of the best songs on the album. Ironman is almost as good an album to me, not as influential because Cuban Linx came first.

But Ghost definitely got the deeper and more consistent catalog.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
More longevity? How? Once the 90’s were over KRS was dropping wack shyt. There’s no debate! Let’s be honest, KRS ONE comes off super corny now all these year later. Out here defending pedophiles & making wack ass dance videos. You ever in your life saying the same thing about Raekwon? As a matter of fact, Rae dropped OB4CL2 15 years after Cuban Linx!! That album is FIRE!! No way with a straight face you telling me KRS ONE had more longevity than Raekwon :gucci:

You're buggin', bro. LOL!!

KRS first dropped in '86. Then went on to drop 5 classic BDP albums in a row! After that, he dropped another 3 classic solo albums!

Dude dropped 8 classic albums in a row. That's what longevity is. Rae dropped a bunch of bullsh*t between the first OB4CL and the second one and after. Immobilarity was one of Hip Hop worst fall-offs ever! I copped that album and thought it was so wack, that I took it back to the store, lol. Rae is my dude, but he was never on KRS's level, in any tier. Rae ain't even on Ghost's level, if we're calling it honestly.

Last edited:

Boonapalist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
Yeah he dropped finally OB4CL2 after dropping two duds. KRS was consistently relevant for about 11 years. He was impacting the culture solo. After Wu Tang Forever Raekwon was lucky the Wu Tang brand was so strong cause he was floundering for years

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
You're buggin', bro. LOL!!

KRS first dropped in '86. Then went on to drop 5 classic BDP albums in a row! After that, he dropped another 3 classic solo albums!

Dude dropped 8 classic albums in a row. That's what longevity is. Rae dropped a bunch of bullsh*t between the first OB4CL and the second one and after. Immobilarity was one of Hip Hop worst fall-offs ever! I copped that album and thought it was so wack, that I took it back to the store, lol. Rae is my dude, but he was never on KRS's level, in any tier. Rae ain't even on Ghost's level, if we're calling it honestly.
KRS was my favorite rapper growing up but his longevity in the game doesn’t add up to the all-time greats. Let’s be honest, NOBODY is listening to KRS 90’s records anymore! OB4CL is TIMELESS & that’s what longevity really is!! OB4CL2 to come out 15 years later and still be fire in longevity. KRS ONE had his time as the #1 rapper in the world which Raekwon can’t claim and that’s fact! But talking longevity? Nah, KRS ONE ain’t it!

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Calling people dusty, stuck in the 90s, while giving Sheek fukking Louch a top 50 spot over several legends with classic albums. Oh boy....Should have stayed at top albums list, cause this is very very bad. It takes bare minimum to get all those clear legends in top spots like Nas, Krs, LL Cool J, etc. But the middle is where we wanna see some consistency, and this shyt just sucks, random chat GPT levels of ranking.

I have never heard anyone call Sheek Louch a bigger NY legend than Q-Tip.
You clearly haven’t listened to a Sheek Louch album if you think he hasn’t made a great to classic album :mjtf:

He might low key have the best debut album from LOX :sas2:
Saying Kiss has two classics is insane and this is coming from someone who likes Kiss solo debut way more than most people. But he don't even have a album over 4 mics (imo) and 3.5 to the general public.

The Lox as a group don't even have a classic album to the general hip hop populace.
Nah breh you wilding :dwillhuh:

KTGG was easily 4 mics
KOD woulda got 4 maybe 4.5 mics from me
(5 if he woulda scrapped the 3 worst tracks and replaced it with records on par with the rest or just scrapped them and left rest of the album as is)
Last Kiss was dope but too many features, 3.5-4 mics
T5DOA was def no less than 4 mics
Ignatius was no less than 4-4.5 mics

And WATS is definitely a classic

:sas2:
KRS will always have an argument for the most significant/best rapper of all time. And I’m not a super fan of his by any means.

I’m 100% a Cormega superfan - but I’d never even consider ranking him so high on this sort of list.
It’s one thing to not have Cormega in the top 15-20 of all time but he definitely a top 20 maybe 15 NY rapper of all time :stopitslime:
Kiss two albums have classic songs

If you not a Mobb head you don’t know that Big Noyd shyt

Yall got it twisted
Kiss got at least 5 albums :mjtf:

Last edited:

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Disgusting list

And no Kool Keith in top 100 :mjlol: I was gonna ask where is PMD or JuJu from Beatnuts, but he's not even including Kool Keith in top 100.

I like Raekwon, but no way in hell is he better than Krs, BDK, Busta Rhymes, Ghostface, etc.

Extremely biased ranking. It gives disinformation for readers who might be new in this genre.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Episodes of a hustla is way better than any lox solo easily.

I'm gonna actually spin this because I don't think you're trolling.

But for the sake of keeping it real even if it is; the fact still remains everyone knows DBLOCK and nobody knows big noyd like that.

I hope you just put me onto a slept on gem.