Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Biggie allegedly got his Jesus Piece after seeing Ghostface have his

Cant confirm Raekwon persuaded Ghost to get the Jesus Piece but it’s a fact that Rae inspired Ghost to get fly

The only rapper to have a Jesus Piece prior to Ghostface was Lord Finesse (but his was very small)

Nas also references him and Biggie getting cues from Raekwon on “Last Real nikka Alive”

Nas fashion adopted polish after Illmatic. It’s either that AZ or Raekwon influence. I’m leaning towards Rae

Raekwon helped Ironman as much as Ghost helped OB4CL. If Ghost wasn’t on OB4CL, it still woulda been a classic album

Raekwon was at his absolute peak in 1997 to 2000. Immobilarity reflected it, the beats just didn’t do it any justice
They all got that shyt from the street Jesus pieces, gaudy Catholic medallions, nautical jewelry shyt like that I don’t think they was copying each other or any of them started anything

As they started making money they started getting higher end luxury clothes and bigger chains

It wasn’t only GFK on the album it has RZA executive producing and a whole lot more features. Its a group effort they even said they would throw bars at each other if I’m ranking MC’s someone like Nas holding down Illmatic by himself or Jay with the Blueprint with almost the entire run time dedicated to them I give them more credit

If you take GFK off the album it suffers a lot the back and forth between them is a big draw

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I would rank Ghost higher too based on depth of solo catalog. And his whole style and swag are so unique.

But quietly, Rae was probably the most influential member of Wu. Definitely had the most influential album. And gets underrated for how important he was on the group albums.

I don’t want to underrate Rae. I think he he’s top 20, arguable top 15.

But Ghost’s discography is crazy consistsent.

Ironman
Supreme Clientele
Bulletproof Wallets
Pretty Tony
Fishscale
The Big Doe Rehab
The Wizard Of Poetry
Twelve Reasons To Die

Add on the fact that Only Built For Cuban Linx is as much Ghost’s accomplishment as it is Rae’s

Also add on the Wu-Tang verses

Thats top ten status right there. Hell thats top ten status New York or including other

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2 is extremely high but rae in 95 was on fire and his influence was def there..him and to a lesser extent AZ was really kind of one the firsts on that fly designer talk..
Not necessarily saying that he had as much styling influence, but Grand Puba was kind of on that type of time with his fits and raps

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Rakim gonna be #3. It's gonna be Hov and Nas 1 and 2, and rightfully so...

Jay the greatest rapper of all time, from any region, any list. He deserve that spot...

And Nas is very arguably the second greatest rapper of all time, any region, any list...

This new drop. I'll never understand the DMX shyt. I can acknowledge he was really popular at his peak, influential, all that. I never understood it. He gets styple points for a unique voice but he clearly bit the Tupac aesthetic. I never heard a DMX verse and was like, "oh my god". Never, not one time...

I'll never understand it...

Is Rae really that revered in NY? Like Top 7 revered? I would say I've met more people into Ghostface than Rae...

I've never listened to any Prodigy solo. I know NYers fukk with him, I've never been around anyone who like "man let's throw that Prodigy on". So his ranking seems high...

Nas is better than Jay-Z. Skill, discography, longevity, impact.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Rae had the biggest impact?in NY? In what world? That's insane.
Well Biggies took versace shyt from 2pac..
Ghost had the clarkes wallabies (brought it back)
Raekwon gangsta Don wasn't original too..

Stretching!

Not talking about brands. Talking about overall chubby don look

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
2 is extremely high but rae in 95 was on fire and his influence was def there..him and to a lesser extent AZ was really kind of one the firsts on that fly designer talk..
AZ held down Doe or Die by himself concepts, had to sought beat selection from multiple producers, writing multiple verses to a song, and in my opinion he was nicer than Rae and definitely more decipherable

Cuban Linx is the better album but Rae’s task was easier he could bounce off nikkas and they had 9 brains in the Stu

:hubie:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Personally, I would rank Pac higher than X on all-time rapper list…But that whole X bit Pac aesthetic is overblown and seems like a surface-level media driven, IMO. Outside of being tatted-up, bald, skinny nigg@s, that’s where the comparisons stopped. I’m Rapping wise there are stylistically different as can be.

Based on the criteria for this list, X would rank extremely high
I been saying this. X is literally nothing like Pac musically. I think people who compare them just aren't all that tapped into X's music. Which is understandable

But X was basically an East Coast Scarface mixed with a touch of Onyx. X was an excellent crime story teller. That's his most underrated attribute as a rapper.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
They all got that shyt from the street Jesus pieces, gaudy Catholic medallions, nautical jewelry shyt like that I don’t think they was copying each other or any of them started anything

As they started making money they started getting higher end luxury clothes and bigger chains

It wasn’t only GFK on the album it has RZA executive producing and a whole lot more features. Its a group effort they even said they would throw bars at each other if I’m ranking MC’s someone like Nas holding down Illmatic by himself or Jay with the Blueprint with almost the entire run time dedicated to them I give them more credit

If you take GFK off the album it suffers a lot the back and forth between them is a big draw

We all know rappers all got their styles from the street dudes

The first street dude to wear a Jesus piece allegedly is Puerto Rican Jesus aka Jesus Valentin from Cypress Hills Projects. @FreshAIG is familiar

But that can’t mean that rappers don’t copy other rappers fashion dynamics

I 100% think Diddy took elements from that Raekwon era. Probably to troll him after Rae called Biggie out for taking Nas album cover

Also Madd Rapper was def a parody of Raekwon

Plus there is a video of Diddy dancing to Glaciers of Ice

Too much coincidences

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Also Rae was wearing Silks before Biggie. They just weren’t Versace. Diddy and Biggie took what Rae was doing and upped it to another level