Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Ghostface has a top 10 discography

Rae has a top 20 discography

Rae is dope no doubt but Ghost is one of the greatest storytellers of ALL TIME. Up there with Nas and Slick Rick.

I would rank Ghost higher too based on depth of solo catalog. And his whole style and swag are so unique.

But quietly, Rae was probably the most influential member of Wu. Definitely had the most influential album. And gets underrated for how important he was on the group albums.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Speaking of Rae. I love Rae. He’s arguably got the greatest album of all time(cuban), was heavily involved in another top 3 album of all time (36 chambers)and was featured all over another top 20 all time (ironman).

But Ive never had him in my top 10 for nyc. Ghost is top 3 from nyc. Top 5 overall and has a top 5 catalog of all time.

And that’s no disrespect to rae, to say ghost is not only better but overall greater
I respect that opinion.

Here’s the thing though. When talking rappers like Rakim & KRS-ONE we are talking prime because neither guys where great for a long extended period of time. You could say that by the time the 90’s were over both of those guys were washed. No disrespect. But Rakim hasn’t been relevant in 25+ years & he is top 3 on this list.

I say that to say this…

Raekwon’s peak exceeds Ghostface Killah. Heavy involvement and classic verses on 36 Chambers & Tical to dropping maybe the GOAT album OB4CL to being heavily involved in Ironman & countless features (Eye For An Eye, Nighttime Vultures, Skew It on the Bar-B, etc) If we are talking peak with the crazy styles, slang, flow, ability to create some of the hardest NYC bangers of all time I have to have Raekwon ahead of Ghostface Killah. He really revolutionized NYC hip-hop with OB4CL.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Rakim gonna be #3. It's gonna be Hov and Nas 1 and 2, and rightfully so...

Jay the greatest rapper of all time, from any region, any list. He deserve that spot...

And Nas is very arguably the second greatest rapper of all time, any region, any list...

This new drop. I'll never understand the DMX shyt. I can acknowledge he was really popular at his peak, influential, all that. I never understood it. He gets styple points for a unique voice but he clearly bit the Tupac aesthetic. I never heard a DMX verse and was like, "oh my god". Never, not one time...

I'll never understand it...

Is Rae really that revered in NY? Like Top 7 revered? I would say I've met more people into Ghostface than Rae...

I've never listened to any Prodigy solo. I know NYers fukk with him, I've never been around anyone who like "man let's throw that Prodigy on". So his ranking seems high...

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
He wanted to put Raekwon as #2 originally

The reason he has Rae so high is because he believes Rae has the biggest impact in the history of NYC

Says that if Immobilarity had better beats it’d be a classic

Says Biggie and Nas took elements of his fashion and OB4CL to enhance their own careers

Also says Raekwon could and should come back out right now and make albums with a Madlib or Alchemist and not sound washed at all

He is also the one who told Ghost to start wearing robes, amongst other shyt that made Ghost who he is.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...

Jay the greatest rapper of all time, from any region, any list. He deserve that spot...

And Nas is very arguably the second greatest rapper of all time, any region, any list...

This new drop. I'll never understand the DMX shyt. I can acknowledge he was really popular at his peak, influential, all that. I never understood it. He gets styple points for a unique voice but he clearly bit the Tupac aesthetic. I never heard a DMX verse and was like, "oh my god". Never, not one time...

Is Rae really that revered in NY? Like Top 7 revered? I would say I've met more people into Ghostface than Rae...

I've never listened to any Prodigy solo. I know NYers fukk with him, I've never been around anyone who like "man let's throw that Prodigy on". So his ranking seems high...
Personally, I don't think Hov can see Nas as a rapper
but when you add stuff like sales, popularity, swag, influence etc
I get it

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
I def feel Rae more than Ghost lol
Immob was a disappointment but his later albums were magnificent

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

The reason he has Rae so high is because he believes Rae has the biggest impact in the history of NYC

Says Biggie and Nas took elements of his fashion and OB4CL to enhance their own careers

Also says Raekwon could and should come back out right now and make albums with a Madlib or Alchemist and not sound washed at all

He is also the one who told Ghost to start wearing robes, amongst other shyt that made Ghost who he is.
All hyperbole

Immobilarity being classic with better beats is whataboutism

What did Biggie and Nas take from him fashion wise :skip: everything they wore is what was hot in the 90’s and what that got to do with rapping. The whole 11-19 deserves to be over Raekwon.

Why doesn’t Raekwon come out and do that then?

OB4CL was a whole group effort

#2 is crazy :heh:

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
I respect that opinion.

Here’s the thing though. When talking rappers like Rakim & KRS-ONE we are talking prime because neither guys where great for a long extended period of time. You could say that by the time the 90’s were over both of those guys were washed. No disrespect. But Rakim hasn’t been relevant in 25+ years & he is top 3 on this list.

I say that to say this…

Raekwon’s peak exceeds Ghostface Killah. Heavy involvement and classic verses on 36 Chambers & Tical to dropping maybe the GOAT album OB4CL to being heavily involved in Ironman & countless features (Eye For An Eye, Nighttime Vultures, Skew It on the Bar-B, etc) If we are talking peak with the crazy styles, slang, flow, ability to create some of the hardest NYC bangers of all time I have to have Raekwon ahead of Ghostface Killah. He really revolutionized NYC hip-hop with OB4CL.
Respect fam.

I agree 100% on Rakim. His prime didn’t last long. Neither did some of his counterparts like kane, kool g, chuck and slick.

But gotta disagree on KRS, he was extremely relevant in the 90’s. Dropped 2 dope albums with return of the boom bop and KRS-ONE, both were solid 4 mic albums. Other than LL, krs had the longest run from 80’s.

And for clarification, i don’t have rakim in my top 3 let alone top 5. But his prime 4 album run legendary.

Now on Rae and Ghost. I agree during 36 chambers and Cuban linx, rae was better. But Ghost exceeded almost immediately. Ghost was dropping classics all throughout the 2000’s and stayed active and relevant during 2010’s as well.

If i had to rank their discography, rae would have number 1 spot, but ghost got 2–6

Btw, i love these healthy hiphop debates

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
All hyperbole

What did Biggie and Nas take from him fashion wise :skip: everything they wore is what was hot in the 90’s and what that got to do with rapping. The whole 11-19 deserves to be over Raekwon.

OB4CL was a whole group effort.

Biggie allegedly got his Jesus Piece after seeing Ghostface have his

Cant confirm Raekwon persuaded Ghost to get the Jesus Piece but it’s a fact that Rae inspired Ghost to get fly

The only rapper to have a Jesus Piece prior to Ghostface was Lord Finesse (but his was very small)

Nas also references him and Biggie getting cues from Raekwon on “Last Real nikka Alive”

Nas fashion adopted polish after Illmatic. It’s either that AZ or Raekwon influence. I’m leaning towards Rae

Raekwon helped Ironman as much as Ghost helped OB4CL. If Ghost wasn’t on OB4CL, it still woulda been a classic album

Raekwon was at his absolute peak in 1997 to 2000. Immobilarity reflected it, the beats just didn’t do it any justice

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Rae had the biggest impact?in NY? In what world? That's insane.
Well Biggies took versace shyt from 2pac..
Ghost had the clarkes wallabies (brought it back)
Raekwon gangsta Don wasn't original too..

Stretching!

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Personally, I would rank Pac higher than X on all-time rapper list…But that whole X bit Pac aesthetic is overblown and seems like a surface-level media driven thing, IMO. Outside of being tatted-up, bald, skinny nigg@s, that’s where the comparisons stopped. Rapping wise there are stylistically different as can be.

Based on the criteria for this list, X would rank extremely high

Last edited:

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
All hyperbole

OB4CL was a whole group effort

#2 is crazy :heh:

2 is extremely high but rae in 95 was on fire and his influence was def there..him and to a lesser extent AZ was really kind of one the firsts on that fly designer talk..

Redwood

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas

Prodigy gets love in the South. I just listened to Return of the Mac earlier :blessed: