Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
That Mary J song is one song. Cam had more visibility in 05-08, or whatever year you want to name after 2001.

Cam has better solo work too.

The first charting track from 36 Chambers was a Method Man solo song.

Meth had platinum solo albums in 1994 and 1998 and a gold album in 2004. Plus a platinum album with Redman in 1999.

Cam had gold albums in 1998 and 2004, platinum in 2002. And the gold Dip Set double album in 2003.

Neither of their solo catalogs is strong as it should be based on their talent. Both their solo albums suffer from a lot of the same things. Inconsistent, too many filler tracks, too many pointless skits.

But Meth was more commercially succesful and was commercially relevant for longer, that's inarguable. When you start comparing group catalogs and classic guest appearances it start shifting heavily in Meth's favor.

H.J.Duck

Superstar
Daps
I'm biased because I've been a fan for +15 years, but Joell Ortiz is a better MC than a whole bunch of people on that list. Obviously he doesn't have timeless classics (and someone is gonna mention his goofy-ish voice) but objectively he should've been in the top100.

DOSDUMUNI

Pass N' Fly Records
Daps
It’s retarded to leave them off they both had runs but yk old guard thinks they’re “trash” that’s what the 90’s and 80’s slots are for
French and Jimmy (along with Nicki) are literally two of ones that kept NYC in the mainstream on the radio before NY Drill and Bobby/Yung M.A.

To leave them out is just unfair.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I'm biased because I've been a fan for +15 years, but Joell Ortiz is a better MC than a whole bunch of people on that list. Obviously he doesn't have timeless classics (and someone is gonna mention his goofy-ish voice) but objectively he should've been in the top100.
Ortiz is irrelevant. Maybe do a greatest Latino Emcee from NY or 50 greatest Latino MCs.in HIp Hop.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Q tip a top 20 MC. Y’all mad disrespectful. No JuJu from The Beatnuts but Envy Caine? :aicmon:

No Sadat X but you got muthafukkas I’ve never heard of or care to know about. Female rappers ahead of Sean Price? No Sturang Wonder? No Rockness? Y’all buggin.
No Al Tariq Kool Fashion!

Rest in Peace to HALF A MIL but he didn't release a LP. Just mixtapes, unfortunately.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Saying Kiss has two classics is insane and this is coming from someone who likes Kiss solo debut way more than most people. But he don't even have a album over 4 mics (imo) and 3.5 to the general public.

The Lox as a group don't even have a classic album to the general hip hop populace.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
If I was being sassy you’d know it

You obsessively keep bringing up where we are from

Using that as a go to to provide an assessment of someone’s list is lazy

The fact of the matter is that if someone has to be from the hometown of the artist to understand the impact of the artist then that means the artist failed at universalizing his legacy. This “you wasn’t there” shyt yall has no legs and gets old

I never been to the Northern California a day in my life and I know extensively the impact the Rappin 4 Tays and X Raideds had over there. Because I don’t treat hip hop as some flavor of the month shyt. It’s a legitimate thing I respect as history

Whether someone from there or not has nothing to do with it. Any other narrative is crab shyt
Okay. Where are you from and what informed your perception of NY hip-hop?