Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Pharoahe Monch is a better rapper than most of the top 20, where is he placed?

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
My nikka don't bring that sassy shyt over here 🤣 I'm cool with being a casual, my life doesn't revolve around rap. And certainly not New York rap...

But as a general hip hop head, and a fan of many NY rappers, I appreciate the list. I ain't even been shytting on it like that for you to come with that sass. I fukk with the effort, does seem like if you had more NYers on your panel the list could have more validity. You and Meccapolis, that's two people at least who aren't from NY, so possibly, you aren't gonna have the pulse on impact in The City the way City cats would...

I could Google 100 rappers but I can't name 100 anything off the top of my head. Salute to you that it matters so much to you, that you can. Most people can't...

If I was being sassy you’d know it

You obsessively keep bringing up where we are from

Using that as a go to to provide an assessment of someone’s list is lazy

The fact of the matter is that if someone has to be from the hometown of the artist to understand the impact of the artist then that means the artist failed at universalizing his legacy. This “you wasn’t there” shyt yall has no legs and gets old

I never been to the Northern California a day in my life and I know extensively the impact the Rappin 4 Tays and X Raideds had over there. Because I don’t treat hip hop as some flavor of the month shyt. It’s a legitimate thing I respect as history

Whether someone from there or not has nothing to do with it. Any other narrative is crab shyt

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Oh Boy era, it might not reflect in sales but his impact as a solo rapper is a lot stronger than Methods today for that reason. Cams influenced stands the test of time, any great influence Meth has is directly tied to Wu Tang.

Nah, the I'll Be There For You single with Mary was one of the templates for grimy NY rappers crossing over in a respectable way and was very different than anything Wu had done to that point. And his whole tag team thing with Redman was very successful too.

I agree that Cam maybe had more visibility as a standalone artist from like 2002-2004 especially far as slang and fashion and all that, but his run where he was seen as a top tier artist was pretty short. Method Man definitely had more longevity.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I appreciate the effort it took to do this list. You’ve already heard all the valid complaints. And obviously I disagree with your rankings.

And that’s ok cuz that’s typically how these lists go.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Nah, the I'll Be There For You single with Mary was one of the templates for grimy NY rappers crossing over in a respectable way and was very different than anything Wu had done to that point. And his whole tag team thing with Redman was very successful too.

I agree that Cam maybe had more visibility as a standalone artist from like 2002-2004 especially far as slang and fashion and all that, but his run where he was seen as a top tier artist was pretty short. Method Man definitely had more longevity.

That Mary J song is one song. Cam had more visibility in 05-08, or whatever year you want to name after 2001.

Cam has better solo work too.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
That Mary J song is one song. Cam had more visibility in 05-08, or whatever year you want to name after 2001.

Cam has better solo work too.

People talk about “All I Need” like it’s Thriller

It was a huge song but it does not negate Cam’ron beating him in impact

It’s like saying Coolio having “Gangstas Paradise” makes him more bigger than E-40