Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I could see Rae over Pun simply because they both only have 1 solo classic and Raekwon's was better, plus he has the Wu Tang shyt.

Pun was a better technical MC, but to me, on all-time list, technical ability matters but it doesn't supercede discography and impact.

For example, I think a lot of MCs are technically more skilled than Chuck D, but he's top 15-20 rappers ever based off discography, impact and social importance.
When Pun came on he was cosigned by every respected Emcee and artist. They were practically pushing him to drop and feature on their stuff & vice versa. Pun had two solos , a terror squad group LP, Don Carta guest appearance and hundreds of features hip hop & rnb from 96-2000.
Rae has a classic LP but let's not forget Ghostface was also on that shyt.

What we NOT going to do is brush over OBFCL Part 2, Shaolin Vs Wutang, and The Wild like Rae doesn’t have a stellar solo discography of his own.

Everyone loves Pun (RIP) but due to unfortunate circumstances Rae got him on discography, longevity and overall impact.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
i love kiss (pause) but :what:

might have to start a thread on people overrating jada in recent years, top 7-12 in NY is a good ranking for him.
He has way too many crazy verses over the years. He has 2 classic solo albums & multiple dope joints. The Lox albums, way too many features over 25 year span. You can’t be serious.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Yea I was talking about the music strictly....they had some good diss records....I dont care about the other shyt nor would I know :hubie:

I just think they're dope MCs
Yeah I wasn't feeling any of the diss tracks, probably listened to them one time each...
Give Guru spot to Ja or something dude is NOT a NYC rapper :heh:
Benny and West Side Gunn shouldn't be here either. Guru got more of a claim to NYC than those guys...
make a Top 100 List of the Best Rappers from PG County please.... im sure Laurel and Beltsville got tons of classic . . .
🤣
1. First thing first, shoutout to Meccapolis (@Don Jesus ) for attempting to do this.
2. New York is the most difficult state/region to do a top 100. Probably would've been smart to do another area first to get your feet wet and work out some of the issues that are glaring for this list.
3. Run and DMC aren't one person. They need to be separated. You didn't do this for anyone else. Sorry, that bothered me.
4. The biggest problem is the criteria doesn't match the placements. There probably needs to be some commentary on each group you release to provide context.
All facts but an Atlanta or Los Angeles list would be really hard to narrow to 100 guys too. Similar to how, us non-NYers would struggle to name 100 NY guys period, yall may struggle to name 100 Atlanta or LA nikkas but people from those cities could give you plenty of names you are less familiar with, that were relevant in those cities...

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Yeah I wasn't feeling any of the diss tracks, probably listened to them one time each...

Benny and West Side Gunn shouldn't be here either. Guru got more of a claim to NYC than those guys...

🤣

All facts but an Atlanta or Los Angeles list would be really hard to narrow to 100 guys too. Similar to how, us non-NYers would struggle to name 100 NY guys period, yall may struggle to name 100 Atlanta or LA nikkas but people from those cities could give you plenty of names you are less familiar with, that were relevant in those cities...

It isn’t hard to find 100 rappers from a state you’re not from you nikkas are just casuals and won’t come to terms with it

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Might as well have Pac on the list at this rate
🤣 may as well...
At what point in Cam’s career was he bigger than Tical/Tical 2000 era Meth?
I think Cam made more of a social, cultural impact than Meth. Cam was huge across the country in a way I'm not sure Meth ever was. Had cats jacking his fashion, his lingo, everything...

Meth's peak was slightly before my time but I never have had the impression that Meth was as culturally resonant, as an individual, as Cam...

And while Dip was not quite as impactful as Wu, I'd say they were close enough. They basically were Wu in the early-to-mid 00s, and Cam is the face of that...

That said, I think both are ranked way too low!
I’m apart of the Meccapolis page I don’t own the page

Why would we do another region the page is a NYC page

The Albums and the Artist list he agreed that he will do a revised version in a couple weeks because he knew that no matter how much he perfected the list there would still be complaints so he dropped this to gauge what the main complaints would be

That being said even if he revised the list there would still be shyt people would complain about. Hip Hop is a genre where people are very critical of its curation *until* it’s time to talk ownership. None of this passion ever equates to anything that matters just internet bicker

The page at least attempts to somewhat curate inner city nyc culture in a unique way and dignified way
Are you from Maryland too? Just asking what shaped your NY perspective, Meccapolis told us what shaped his but you've said you aren't him but given us no background. You said you aren't from NY but nothing else...
Jadakiss #12 NY rapper of all time is fukking hilarious :mjlol:

Bar for bar he destroys 99% of rappers ever and his catalog is way too heavy. He should be top 5 with Biggie, Nas, Hov & Rakim. Longevity absolutely should be taken into account!
I wouldn't have Kiss Top 5. I don't think the average NY nikka has him that high either, most people say he ain't even the best to come outta Y.O....

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Pun never made a Cuban Linx :yeshrug:
:why:

hqdefault.jpg

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
It isn’t hard to find 100 rappers from a state you’re not from you nikkas are just casuals and won’t come to terms with it
My nikka don't bring that sassy shyt over here 🤣 I'm cool with being a casual, my life doesn't revolve around rap. And certainly not New York rap...

But as a general hip hop head, and a fan of many NY rappers, I appreciate the list. I ain't even been shytting on it like that for you to come with that sass. I fukk with the effort, does seem like if you had more NYers on your panel the list could have more validity. You and Meccapolis, that's two people at least who aren't from NY, so possibly, you aren't gonna have the pulse on impact in The City the way City cats would...

I could Google 100 rappers but I can't name 100 anything off the top of my head. Salute to you that it matters so much to you, that you can. Most people can't...

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

Xtz23

All Star
Daps
🤣 may as well...

I think Cam made more of a social, cultural impact than Meth. Cam was huge across the country in a way I'm not sure Meth ever was. Had cats jacking his fashion, his lingo, everything...

Meth's peak was slightly before my time but I never have had the impression that Meth was as culturally resonant, as an individual, as Cam...

And while Dip was not quite as impactful as Wu, I'd say they were close enough. They basically were Wu in the early-to-mid 00s, and Cam is the face of that...

Are you from Maryland too? Just asking what shaped your NY perspective, Meccapolis told us what shaped his but you've said you aren't him but given us no background. You said you aren't from NY but nothing else...

I wouldn't have Kiss Top 5. I don't think the average NY nikka has him that high either, most people say he ain't even the best to come outta Y.O....
There’s no close wen comparing dipset to wu that shyt is a landslide

Last edited:

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
🤣 may as well...

Ok if you wanna put DMX ahead of Jadakiss do you. But Kiss was way nicer than DMX for a longer period of time. Let’s not act like DMX didn’t fall off due to all his issues with drugs and legally. Jadakiss is still relevant as a spitter to this day! Years after most of the list is just has beens. Kiss in my top 5 easily.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
When Pun came on he was cosigned by every respected Emcee and artist. They were practically pushing him to drop and feature on their stuff & vice versa. Pun had two solos , a terror squad group LP, Don Carta guest appearance and hundreds of features hip hop & rnb from 96-2000.
Rae has a classic LP but let's not forget Ghostface was also on that shyt.
Weren’t Pun technically only had one solo he died two months before the second album came out so he couldn’t take advantage of besides it only went Gold which was low considering the man died. He was overhyped respectfully like why since him has there not been a notable Spanish rapper from NY not unless you count Fab who dropped in 2001.