Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Tragedy is my dude, so I can speak on The War Report. I was there for that.

He didn't write Nore or Capone's rhymes, but the direction of the album, production selection, even down to the cover and damn near all the concepts came from him. He had the idea for that a couple years before it even dropped. I still have the early demos for the album that never came out. He was taking CNN around the city and shopping them for a minute. My guy Mayhem was the one that told Trag to bring them up to Penalty. This dude Neil signed them up there, and Trag was definitely running the show for that whole project. Which is where the issues came from with the financial situation with Nore and Capone.

But dude is an absolute legend and just a wild cool dude to know. Bro was making classics and repping QB way way back, and learned the business from Marley early on. He deserves all the love and respect from heads who know what's up.

Cool to hear these details. Since it came up on the last page you got any insight on what really went down with Mega, Nas, Stoute, Def Jam and Chris Lighty?

I always thought the idea an artist with two albums at Columbia could blackball someone signed with Def Jam and Chris Lighty was comical :mjlol:

I know Stoute pulled some snake shyt and Mega talked about being one of the many to whoop Stoute ass, but he still got a track on the Violator comp in 1999 and I vaguely remember Lighty saying dude refused to listen to anyone after they fell out. But we really only ever heard Mega side.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
19 Rappers left and these 19 have not been named yet. No order

No order

Nas
Jay
Ghost
LL
Rakim
Krs
Kool g
Kane
Prodigy
Mos
Big
Jada
Raekwon
Chuck d
Slick
Dmx
Pun
Ja rule

Ja confirmed out. Kweli been listed yet?

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
You’re forgetting impact

Nas blackballed him. And he in turn went independent and built a successful lane there. Which forefathered a lot of rapper’s independent lane trajectories.

Otherwise Mega could have easily been another Ali Vegas

This is also a dude who initially was Nas before Nas (had a whole album with Marley Marl in the early 90s that was gonna drop but he went to prison). He was the original star from QB. Went to jail, came back out and regained relevance, got blackballed came back out again and regained relevance for the second time

I understand people who think he is too high though
:russ:

this is your dumbest take yet. Nas did not blackball mega.. Mega was never a star. he was influential and ahead of his time but he was not blackballed. that shelved album was ass. it took him going independent for him to make his best work but he was never gonna be on the level of Nas.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
:russ:

this is your dumbest take yet. Nas did not blackball mega.. Mega was never a star. he was influential and ahead of his time but he was not blackballed. that shelved album was ass. it took him going independent for him to make his best work but he was never gonna be on the level of Nas.

He got blackballed. Shut the fukk up

Give a fukk about anything you’re talking about

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
He didn’t put him anywhere in the top 100. You can’t tell me with a straight face he not even 100.

So I only put him because he’s the only left big nyc artist that fits his criteria.
I don't even like Ja Rule cornball ass but considering the criteria that got other dudes their ranking he more than deserves a spot :mjlol: