Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Method Man is a really hard MC to rank historically

As far as skillset, he's top 10 ever from NY pretty easily. He's pretty much between an 8 to 10 in everything (flow, delivery, voice, lyricism)

But his discography is extremely lack luster as a solo artist. I do not think he has an album better than 4 mics. And personally, I think discography should be the biggest factor in ranking MCs historically. I can find 50 Mcs on the street corner that would lyrically slaughter nikkas top 5. But how are you at actually making cohesive projects? How many memorable verses and songs do you have on your own projects? What did you change or impact when your album dropped?

He's sorta like Jadakiss in a way as far as that goes.

Agree especially with the bolded but as we see Jada gonna be top 20, and Meth way lower. And Wu-Tang group albums on a totally different level than Lox too.

Dudes like Lloyd Banks being higher than Method Man is insane. Would love to hear the explanation for that one.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Yeah I like Mega a lot but this where we get into the inconsistency of the categories being applied.

Lyricism, Popularity, Albums, Impact, Charisma.

You can give him high grades in Lyricism and Albums but the other categories?

You’re forgetting impact

Nas blackballed him. And he in turn went independent and built a successful lane there. Which forefathered a lot of rapper’s independent lane trajectories.

Otherwise Mega could have easily been another Ali Vegas

This is also a dude who initially was Nas before Nas (had a whole album with Marley Marl in the early 90s that was gonna drop but he went to prison). He was the original star from QB. Went to jail, came back out and regained relevance, got blackballed came back out again and regained relevance for the second time

I understand people who think he is too high though

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Yeah I like Mega a lot but this where we get into the inconsistency of the categories being applied.

Lyricism, Popularity, Albums, Impact, Charisma.

You can give him high grades in Lyricism and Albums but the other categories?

Yeah. Going by their own criteria you can't put him over Meth on anything besides albums. Or what puts him over say O.C. for instance?

The Realness and The True Meaning are back to back great albums though. He deserves to be in the top 40 for that alone.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
You’re forgetting impact

Nas blackballed him. And he in turn went independent and built a successful lane there. Which forefathered a lot of rapper’s independent lane trajectories.

Otherwise Mega could have easily been another Ali Vegas

This is also a dude who initially was Nas before Nas (had a whole album with Marley Marl in the early 90s that was gonna drop but he went to prison). He was the original star from QB. Went to jail, came back out and regained relevance, got blackballed came back out again and regained relevance for the second time

I understand people who think he is too high though

I think his independent success get wildly overstated far as being impactful. Granted I'm from out west where there's always been independent artists with strong followings and sold more records than Mega. Dude's a complete nonfactor out here, it seem like he's viewed very differently online and in New York though.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
I think his independent success get wildly overstated far as being impactful. Granted I'm from out west where there's always been independent artists with strong followings and sold more records than Mega. Dude's a complete nonfactor out here, it seem like he's viewed very differently online and in New York though.

Your point of view is understandable

It’s a NYC thing

And I’m not from NYC either

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
based on his opinions in the top ny albums, its HIGHLY unlikely

he's gonna have big or Jay, prodigy prolly top 5 at least.

my bet is BIG and can understand

respect the work put into the list but based on his own criteria a few choices make no sense, feels it could've been done a bit better

and lol at Fab having stans... guess you do learn something new every day
:yeshrug:

my personal carefuly curated top 20 NY born MCs:

1. :ahh:
  2. :ahh:
  3. :ahh:
  4. :ahh:
  5. :ahh:
  6. :ahh:
  7. :ahh:
  8. :ahh:
  9. :ahh:
  10. :ahh:
  11. :ahh:
  12. :ahh:
  13. :ahh:
  14. :ahh:
  15. :ahh:
  16. :ahh:
  17. :ahh:
  18. :ahh:
  19. :ahh:
  20. :huhldup:
Only here you see Fab disrespect like this

Nikka stinking up the thread with 20 Nas emojis for no reason smh

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Just like the albums list, if you explain the metrics...it just becomes weirder.
Giving Action Bronson his spot because of a supposed "15 year run" but putting Ace where he is and mentioning he "had a slight resurgence in 2002" :mjlol:

Mind you - Ace has dropped damn near as much music as Bronson SINCE Bronson's supposed run started.

Just call it your favs and nobody can really argue shyt, but trying to base it on metrics makes it damn easy to poke holes through the logic.
Action Bronson is a good rapper but when I heard “impeccable 15 year run” I was like wait what

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It’s true that he may have benefitted from death but it’s irrelevant.

The talent was there and his debut album being dated by the time it came out isn’t his fault that’s label shyt and politics. His debut album was still quality and appreciated over time to become a stamped cult classic. He went onto influence rappers that came after him. So yeah he deserves the props he gets.

Jay didn’t view those people as threats lol.
V2 was 4 times plat in 6 months by the time Big L died but apparently he was “threatened” by the dude who got dropped by Columbia years prior

:mjlol:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
This has to be a troll attempt or something like that, to gain clicks and discussions.

This is the classic situation when someone just ranks something he likes but then tries to present it as some objective ranking. Nah, what you like doesn't mean it's objectively the greatest thing.

All this right here.

I just said the same. This is just a list of the people dude likes. That's why bro is talking about all this "charisma, impact, popularity" nonsense. It's just a way to cover up the fact that the list and order are trash. I haven't seen one person agree with any of this. So you'll get the engagement you want, but like somebody said in this thread, people are gonna look at you funny now. Sh*t is too goofy.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC

Tragedy is my dude, so I can speak on The War Report. I was there for that.

He didn't write Nore or Capone's rhymes, but the direction of the album, production selection, even down to the cover and damn near all the concepts came from him. He had the idea for that a couple years before it even dropped. I still have the early demos for the album that never came out. He was taking CNN around the city and shopping them for a minute. My guy Mayhem was the one that told Trag to bring them up to Penalty. This dude Neil signed them up there, and Trag was definitely running the show for that whole project. Which is where the issues came from with the financial situation with Nore and Capone.

But dude is an absolute legend and just a wild cool dude to know. Bro was making classics and repping QB way way back, and learned the business from Marley early on. He deserves all the love and respect from heads who know what's up.