Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This has to be a troll attempt or something like that, to gain clicks and discussions.

Look how low Method Man is rated. One of the most universally famous rappers, where even countries that don't speak English have plenty of Method Man fans.

One of the greatest flows, one of the best voices on the mic. A rapper who actually ramped up his skillset as his career was progressing. One of the biggest NY Hip Hop names in mid 90s when New York was still in its prime years. He has it all for a legitimate star status.

Zero explanation why he's so low, some shyt like posters are stuck in the 90s, then he proceeds to make several dusty 90s selections in higher places.

This is the classic situation when someone just ranks something he likes but then tries to present it as some objective ranking. Nah, what you like doesn't mean it's objectively the greatest thing.
Putting Mase over Meth is wild...

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Putting Mase over Meth is wild...
There are several rappers who are not in the Method Man tier being ranked higher on this list. None of it makes sense. It's a very biased ranking.

Then you see Busta Rhymes being ranked lower than rappers like Posdnuos. Lots of respect to De La Soul, but Busta Rhymes is so far ahead as a complete MC. INSANE amount of features, insanely long career, never outshined by any rapper. Iconic voice and flow. I have zero idea what criteria is this stuff based on.

If Posdnuos is ranked so very high, then why the fukk is Q-Tip ranked so damn low? Makes no sense.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
There are several rappers who are not in the Method Man tier being ranked higher on this list. None of it makes sense. It's a very biased ranking.

Then you see Busta Rhymes being ranked lower than rappers like Posdnuos. Lots of respect to De La Soul, but Busta Rhymes is so far ahead as a complete MC. INSANE amount of features, insanely long career, never outshined by any rapper. Iconic voice and flow. I have zero idea what criteria is this stuff based on.

If Posdnuos is ranked so very high, then why the fukk is Q-Tip ranked so damn low? Makes no sense.
Somebody said this is what happens when you let an outta town nigha determine the top New York rappers 🤣 cause look, if I made a NY list yall would hate my shyt too. I don't know 20% of these rappers and the ones I do know, I'm not am expert on they catalogs for most of em...

I'd love to see a list of BLACK New Yorkers putting something together, trying to maintain objectivity beyond eras...

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
This has to be a troll attempt or something like that, to gain clicks and discussions.

Look how low Method Man is rated. One of the most universally famous rappers, where even countries that don't speak English have plenty of Method Man fans.

One of the greatest flows, one of the best voices on the mic. A rapper who actually ramped up his skillset as his career was progressing. One of the biggest NY Hip Hop names in mid 90s when New York was still in its prime years. He has it all for a legitimate star status.

Zero explanation why he's so low, some shyt like posters are stuck in the 90s, then he proceeds to make several dusty 90s selections in higher places.

This is the classic situation when someone just ranks something he likes but then tries to present it as some objective ranking. Nah, what you like doesn't mean it's objectively the greatest thing.
Method Man is a really hard MC to rank historically

As far as skillset, he's top 10 ever from NY pretty easily. He's pretty much between an 8 to 10 in everything (flow, delivery, voice, lyricism)

But his discography is extremely lack luster as a solo artist. I do not think he has an album better than 4 mics. And personally, I think discography should be the biggest factor in ranking MCs historically. I can find 50 Mcs on the street corner that would lyrically slaughter nikkas top 5. But how are you at actually making cohesive projects? How many memorable verses and songs do you have on your own projects? What did you change or impact when your album dropped?

He's sorta like Jadakiss in a way as far as that goes.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

As far as skillset, he's top 10 ever from NY pretty easily. He's pretty much between an 8 to 10 in everything (flow, delivery, voice, lyricism)

But his discography is extremely lack luster as a solo artist. I do not think he has an album better than 4 mics.

Mase doesn't belong in front of him. And I only keep harping on Mase because I'm not as familiar with a number if these other guys work...

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Mase doesn't belong in front of him. And I only keep harping on Mase because I'm not as familiar with a number if these other guys work...
Yeah I would have Method over Mase too. Mase run was extremely short and I think Mase was a very good lyricist, but he only has 1 album worth discussing. 1 and a half if you count "No Way Out" sorta in the way the Chronic counts for Snoop.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps

But his discography is extremely lack luster as a solo artist. I do not think he has an album better than 4 mics. And personally, I think discography should be the biggest factor in ranking MCs historically. I can find 50 Mcs on the street corner that would lyrically slaughter nikkas top 5. But how are you at actually making cohesive projects? How many memorable verses and songs do you have on your own projects? What did you change or impact when your album dropped?

Majority of rappers in this top 100 don't have an amazing discography. Meth has good solo albums, outstanding run as a part of Wu Tang Clan and his work with Redman was great also. It is enough to solidify him as one of the all time greats of New York.

This guy has tragedy khadaffi, cormega and other artists like that over Meth. That's just....no sense whatsoever.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Even if a black nikka from New York made a list you nikkas would still be bytching one way or another because the elephant in the room in all this is that black people cant ever agree on a universal truth. It’s a neverending cycle of bytching

Last edited:

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Even if a black nikka from New York made a list you nikkas would still be bytching one way or another because the elephant in the room in all this is that black people cant ever agree on a universal truth. Theres 6 generations of NYC rap and there is hardly any of you or anybody in general that can objectively correctly rank 100 of them without being biased towards his own era. The “he’s not from NYC” thing is bullshyt. Let a Queens nikka make the list and then it’s gonna be “shoulda been a Manhattan nikka” or “too many queens nikkas on the list”

You nikkas exist to bytch and complain and it’s one of the things they figured out about 20 years ago which is why triggering the black man’s outrage is one of the main go tos in the media because it works

People disagreeing with the list is cool. It’s not perfect. But it’s an attempt. Something farther than any of you nikkas have attempted to do. But the way some of yall are bytching in here it’s as if I put Young Thug on a NYC list is disgusting. Pull your skirt down and create your own NYC page and list of its that important to you. But then again all most of you just do is yap

All this riding for Method Man didn’t seem to equate in real life when his crowd was dead at Summer Jam. Where are you nikkas fandom when it matters ?
Whataboutism

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Yeah I would have Method over Mase too. Mase run was extremely short and I think Mase was a very good lyricist, but he only has 1 album worth discussing. 1 and a half if you count "No Way Out" sorta in the way the Chronic counts for Snoop.

Made forefathered Drake, Fab, etc with only a one year run. He was ahead of his time. LL is the father to them all but Mase put his twist to it. And still was lyrical when he had to be

Method Man has a slightly overrated career. Tical paled in comparison to OB4CL and Liquid Swordz, and partnering up with Redman gave his career another heartbeat. An era I didn’t like for either of them becuase the jokey joke shyt undermined how lyrically great they were. Ludacris has the same problem