Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
ma$e is the most over-rated rapper ever. He was incredible and and originator but his run was like 2 seasons and then he became a laughing stock.
I don't even think his run was all that incredible. He cane from that Children Of The Corn background, he not the nicest in the click and didn't go on to have the best career of them all. He had a huge intro and high with Bad Boy but he wasn't the nicest there...

And then it was over. Harlem World was strong but I havent listened to it in 20 years, its not the timeless classic mf's on here claim it was. Its the quintessential late 90s NY fly guy rap...

Regarding his fly guy ladies man image, nikkas keep trying to say how influential he allegedly was, LL is the originator of that archetype of rapper. So Mase is his son and so is everyone who came after Mase...

His affiliations with Children Of The Corn and Bad Boy give this nikka undue props. He can rap but come on, nikkas gas this guy big time...

And young me was a HUGE fan...
Not even fukkin close. He doesn’t have the catalog, the impact, subject matter, lyrics to be ranked higher than any of the names I mentioned. All the names I mentioned aside from joe got multiple classics to their names, hiphop changing classics.

Fab is basically Michael beasley of hiphop. Gonna win a few one on one games, but overall ain’t winning shyt.

But i also realized who im replying to. So im gonna see my way out of this convo with you.
This some hating ass shyt 🤣...

As a non-NYer, I don't even know who Trugoy is, that's a name that literally means nothing so Fab is already smoking him there...

I guess an argument can be made for Fat Joe, Meth, and Q-Tip. Phife and Hav don't have the solo discography Fab has and aren't nicer rappers. I guess NYers give bonus points to nikkas who were part of influential collectives, that's been a consistent theme on this list. If you were part of an influential collective or group, you get extra credit even if your solo discography had no real reach...

Fat Joe def ain't nicer than Fab or has a better resume but he has Terror Squad 😂

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I heard the album first two tracks are skits/interludes, dude has features on almost every track, and one of the tracks is a remix. It’s a very short album and by virtue of having all those features his run time on it isn’t even that long. It seems like something that was put together because dude was locked up and it flopped. Most people don’t know of it so it’s hard to say it’s a classic there are some dope songs on there but you’re pushing it.

Ultimately his claim boils down to one verse on a classic album that’s not enough to be top 100.
You’re definitely correct that the album flopped because he was locked up. There weren’t even any videos.

The fact that most people don’t know about it is exactly what I’m saying. It’s the most overlooked and underrated album in rap history.

Wall to wall prime Havoc production. And the beats are fire.
Wall to wall prime Prodigy verses. And he blacked out on this album.
And Noyd killed the album as well.

Every song on that album is fire. Even the R&B joint featuring Noyd at the end.

Noyd has a lot more songs than just that first EP also. The album after that had joints.

shyt That He Said
Air Em Out
NOYD
Shoot Em Up 1 and 2
Grimey Way
Bump That with Hav and 50
All the Mobb Features. Give It Up Fast, Man Down, Streets Raised Me, Burn, The Professional, Hoodlum, Queens with Infamous Mobb, unreleased shyt like Perfect Plot and 3 from the NYC, Joints with Mariah and Bounty Killer.

Low key Noyd would have had a crazy Verzus.

He’s not top 50. But he deserves to be on there more than some of the people in the first 25 or so slots.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Are you saying Dipset was bigger than Wu? They weren’t.
Or Cam was bigger than Meth as a solo artist? He wasn’t.

For sure Wu is bigger and will always be bigger than Dipset. Wu has global popularity, Dips don't really. Not even debatable.

As a solo artist like I said it's a maybe but you prolly right. Its just I can see giving Cam the edge just because he was the leader of Dipset while Meth wasn't the leader of Wu. Maybe that's a dumb criteria on my part though. I'd say they are tied hitwise. Meth prolly sold more records though. And let me reiterate I prefer Meth and his music all day to Cam.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That's a pretty arbitrary criteria.

The Infamous is a way more apt comparison in terms of reception, impact and content. Take the solo project part out of it. OB4CL is basically Ghost and Rae as a duo kicking street tales over dark, singular production and The Infamous is Havoc & Prodigy doing the same thing (Q-Tip got a couple of beats but he shaped the albums whole sound so they fit right in)
It’s pretty rare that a solo album features another rapper on more than half the album in the way that OBFCL and Noyd’s album do.

That’s why I call it the QB Purple Tape and that’s why it is an apt comparison.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
It’s pretty rare that a solo album features another rapper on more than half the album in the way that OBFCL and Noyd’s album do.

That’s why I call it the QB Purple Tape and that’s why it is an apt comparison.
That alone doesn't make them comparable, though. It's flimsy and surface level.

If you're gonna make a comparison to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx of albums it ought to be worth more than "Well he had another rapper on most of the songs"

The Infamous is the QB Purple Tape. Let's stop this.

Last edited:

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
I don't even think his run was all that incredible. He cane from that Children Of The Corn background, he not the nicest in the click and didn't go on to have the best career of them all. He had a huge intro and high with Bad Boy but he wasn't the nicest there...

And then it was over. Harlem World was strong but I havent listened to it in 20 years, its not the timeless classic mf's on here claim it was. Its the quintessential late 90s NY fly guy rap...

Regarding his fly guy ladies man image, nikkas keep trying to say how influential he allegedly was, LL is the originator of that archetype of rapper. So Mase is his son and so is everyone who came after Mase...

His affiliations with Children Of The Corn and Bad Boy give this nikka undue props. He can rap but come on, nikkas gas this guy big time...

And young me was a HUGE fan...

This some hating ass shyt 🤣...

As a non-NYer, I don't even know who Trugoy is, that's a name that literally means nothing so Fab is already smoking him there...

I guess an argument can be made for Fat Joe, Meth, and Q-Tip. Phife and Hav don't have the solo discography Fab has and aren't nicer rappers. I guess NYers give bonus points to nikkas who were part of influential collectives, that's been a consistent theme on this list. If you were part of an influential collective or group, you get extra credit even if your solo discography had no real reach...

Fat Joe def ain't nicer than Fab or has a better resume but he has Terror Squad 😂
And no nikka, Joe is better than fab. But going off the criteria he set. Joe shyts all over fab in every category. Fab doesn’t have a don cartegena and he not touching Joes catalog

If you don’t know who trugoy is that means you don’t know hiphop. De La Soul is one of the greatest groups of all time with multiple classics.

Imagine calling yourself a hiphop fan, trying to discuss hiphop and not knowing history.

How old are you breh? Because you showing your age. I know everything about your era, because I listen to everything.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
And no nikka, Joe is better than fab. But going off the criteria he set. Joe shyts all over fab in every category. Fab doesn’t have a don cartegena and he not touching Joes catalog

If you don’t know who trugoy is that means you don’t know hiphop. De La Soul is one of the greatest groups of all time with multiple classics.

Imagine calling yourself a hiphop fan, trying to discuss hiphop and not knowing history.

How old are you breh? Because you showing your age. I know everything about your era, because I listen to everything.
I don't listen to everything, ain't no shame in that. I'm 35, so I'm young but I'm old enough to be familiar with a few eras...

I'm just not from New York and unlike Meccapolis, I'm not a New York rap stan as a non-NYer. No one listens to everything, there's a list of California rappers I could drop I'm certain you aren't familiar with, past and present. That's okay too...

I'm a legit hip hop head but I don't have to know everyone. The name Trugoy rings no bells to me whatsoever...

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
I don't listen to everything, ain't no shame in that. I'm 35, so I'm young but I'm old enough to be familiar with a few eras...

I'm just not from New York and unlike Meccapolis, I'm not a New York rap stan as a non-NYer. No one listens to everything, there's a list of California rappers I could drop I'm certain you aren't familiar with, past and present. That's okay too...

I'm a legit hip hop head but I don't have to know everyone. The name Trugoy rings no bells to me whatsoever...
So you not a legit hiphop head.

Im 40yrs old. Born n raised in queens.

I can go to the bay and discuss every mac dre, yukmouth and e40 album.

I can kick it with 20yr olds from Atlanta and discuss every future, drake, thugg, gunna album.

If you fan of something, music, movies, tv shows, or even history in general. You better be able to know the past and present. Don’t go into a discussion or debate without all information.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That alone doesn't make them comparable, though. It's flimsy and surface level.

If you're gonna make a comparison to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx of albums it ought to be worth more than "Well he had another rapper on most of the songs"

The Infamous is the QB Purple Tape. Let's stop this.
The Infamous is the Infamous.

If it’s so flimsy and surface level, name 10 other solo albums where another rapper from the crew is on damn near every song.

It’s a pretty unique circumstance and merits the apt comparison.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The Infamous is the Infamous.

If it’s so flimsy and surface level, name 10 other solo albums where another rapper from the crew is on damn near every song.

It’s a pretty unique circumstance and merits the apt comparison.
It can be a unique thing shared between them and still be a shoddy basis for a sweeping comparison.

In that one respect, they're similar but it's like I said, you gonna make a declaration as bold as a Big Noyd EP being the QB CUBAN LINX, specifically as a case for Big Noyd being a top 100 New York MC you need a more substantive reason than them just being group albums disguised as solo albums. shyt it actually hurts his case cuz you can just argue Mobb Deep carried it.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
So you not a legit hiphop head.

Im 40yrs old. Born n raised in queens.

I can go to the bay and discuss every mac dre, yukmouth and e40 album.

I can kick it with 20yr olds from Atlanta and discuss every future, drake, thugg, gunna album.

If you fan of something, music, movies, tv shows, or even history in general. You better be able to know the past and present. Don’t go into a discussion or debate without all information.
nikka you 40 and called yourself an "old head" 🤣 go somewhere my boy...

Any head can name the biggest rappers from a city, but what this just told me is you can't tell me anything about Lil Blood, Philthy Rich, or Guap4000. Don't pretend like you really in tune with Cali rap like that 🤣 ...

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
nikka you 40 and called yourself an "old head" 🤣 go somewhere my boy...

Any head can name the biggest rappers from a city, but what this just told me is you can't tell me anything about Lil Blood, Philthy Rich, or Guap4000. Don't pretend like you really in tune with Cali rap like that 🤣 ...

Who u think won the battle, rich or mozzy :lupe: