Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
This here.

Meth and Mary got a damn Grammy for that song! HAHA!!

And Fab over Puba, Meth and Q-Tip is just high level retardation. Where are the classics? At this point, we gotta just laugh at the list and have a good time with clowning it. Nobody f*cks with it.
The only justification for Q-Tip I can think of is he's more artist than MC but like...he was the front man of one of NY's most legendary groups, and his style may not have been on the same technical level as a Sheek and Fab but I guarantee his voice and flow resonated with people more than theirs did, and the lyrics were good enough; and it aint like he was out here like Dre or Kanye and having other people write his shyt. He's arguably the best producer rapper ever if youre weighing it by pen (Pimp C's probably better but still)

And then you add his massive artistic impact and yeah...Come on.

Daps
Not albums but tapes and hits and he did have influence and also a lot of longevity.

Fab is still out here.

Stop It nikka

There’s no “going away” like it used to be. Everyone’s a click away so it makes it seem like nikkax matter more than they do. Fab has been musically irrelevant for the minute

He never shifted music at any point. He rode waves like no one’s business

How is tapes his bread & butter and he never put out a game changing tape? lol

He made a great career for himself out of two 9s on me like Warren Sapp but he and his music were always derivative

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Is she more popular? She has a big impact as a female MC but Method Man today is more talked about and more importantly, revered than Kim. All I Need was a bigger hit than anything Lil Kim made and then the various other classic songs. Like the nikka made one of the most iconic hooks in NY rap history :heh:

At one point Method Man and Biggie were 1a and 1b as the biggest rappers in NYC. It was only really 94 through summer 95 but still. More than anything you could say about Kim. Even if you want to make it a pure popularity thing, even with underwhelming solo albums, Meth still had about a 8 year run as a viable commercial rapper.

Yup. And combine that with he's one of the more famous members of arguably the greatest rap group of all time and he's gotta be higher. Definitely over pretty much everyone at 39-29 except MAYBE Cam and Gza (Meth's a better rapper than Cam but Cam's movement/reign was bigger and because Gza is Gza).

I saw Wu/Nas/De La with appearances from Pharoahe and Talib in BK and trust me when I say Meth got a bigger reaction from the crowd than ANYBODY, even my GOAT Nasir. Such a big reaction that Wu kept him out of the first half of their show because they know when he comes out theres gonna be a huge pop and his infectious energy is gonna spike the crowd's energy. His crowd control is insane.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Stop It nikka

There’s no “going away” like it used to be. Everyone’s a click away so it makes it seem like nikkax matter more than they do. Fab has been musically irrelevant for the minute

He made a great career for himself out of two 9s on me like Warren Sapp but he and his music were always derivative
His last project moved a respectable 44,000 first week and he had songs in rotation on NY radio after 20 years in the game.

Theres a segment of people that view his mixtape series as classics.

Daps
His last project moved a respectable 44,000 first week and he had songs in rotation on NY radio after 20 years in the game.

You’re making my point I had with @murksiderock

He has his niche audience that gets down to his shyt still no differently than any artists who has fallen off the mainstream circuit over time. He had hits that were given to him and that sustained him during his career as a mainstream artist but I can’t be sold on his tapes being big deals or him having some grandiose impact

That simply was never the case :yeshrug:

I called him Luda but that’s disrespectful to Luda considering practically all Fab’s hits were had built in hooks that could’ve went to anyone else. Clue definitely did his job

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps

A lot of the people on this site are stuck in the 90s and can’t look at things from a broad view outside their lenses

The Soul Tapes are Illmatic to nyc nikkas born in between 1985 to 1995 whether they like it or not

shyt like that are valid variables when making a list like this

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Stop It nikka

🤣 🤣 🤣 if you this critical of Fab I'd love to hear you justify Mase's ranking as a Top 30 NY rapper 🤣 🤣

Artistically where would you place Fab and how do you rank his overall discog?

As I've mentioned, I'm not familiar with the work of most these NY rappers, can't front like I am. But there's some egregious names in front of him, and the Mase one jumps out because I am familiar with Mase's work. I can't justify Mase over Fab!

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

He has his niche audience that gets down to his shyt still no differently than any artists who has fallen off the mainstream circuit over time. He had hits that were given to him and that sustained him during his career as a mainstream artist but I can’t be sold on his tapes being big deals or him having some grandiose impact

I called him Luda but that’s disrespectful to Luda considering practically all Fab’s hits were had built in hooks that could’ve went to anyone else. Clue definitely did his job
U live in NYC?
b4c54bc230379b9bc79ffb5dba1569a6.960x960x1.jpg

When this dropped it was everywhere lol…it’s a whole generation of New Yorkers that love Fab and know Meth as mostly an actor dudes been musically irrelevant for a long time his peak was 30 years ago

Daps
🤣 🤣 🤣 if you this critical of Fab I'd love to hear you justify Mase's ranking as a Top 30 NY rapper 🤣 🤣

As I've mentioned, I'm not familiar with the work of most these NY rappers, can't front like I am. But there's some egregious names in front of him, and the Mase one jumps out because I am familiar with Mase's work. I can't justify Mase over Fab!

At no point did little ol me say Mase should be top 10, top 20 or top anything….That’s that man’s list

It’s not my fault that Mase was a better rapper than Fabolous Sport and his influence dwarfs the guy he gave a style to run with however :manny:

Daps
U live in NYC?
b4c54bc230379b9bc79ffb5dba1569a6.960x960x1.jpg

When this dropped it was everywhere lol…it’s a whole generation of New Yorkers that love Fab and know Meth as mostly an actor dudes been musically irrelevant for a long time his peak was 30 years ago

Did I mention Method Man?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

I would say Luda is to Atlanta, more or less, what Fab is to NY. He had a high commercial run but Luda's legacy is propped by being a DJ on Atlanta radio stations before he was a rapper, and being an actor after his music went dry...

And having one of the finest women of all time 🤣...

Luda gets his flowers in Atlanta but think about this, musically he's been irrelevant for damn near 20 years. Fab has had a RUN during the time Luda has been irrelevant, and generally speaking he's from the same era of rap as Luda, he had a name when Luda was a big name...

If you look at the quality of Luda's music it wouldn't justify him higher than Fab if you did an All-Time list, hypothetically----->but the overall reach that his dj'ing and acting have given him, probably push him over...

Fab was never a DJ, Fab was never an actor. He's stood this long off the strength of his rapping. Like I said 39 feels okay-ish but I could argue he should be higher when there's nikkas like Mase in front of him...

Mase is only this high because of his affiliations and one album, and I guess "style" that was unique but he's another one, if the argument is made that Mase is hella influential I'm gonna say that's a NY thing. He's well-known and his respected but as far as influence Mase ain't moving no needles outside NY...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
At no point did little ol me say Mase should be top 10, top 20 or top anything….That’s that man’s list

It’s not my fault that Mase was a better rapper than Fabolous Sport and his influence dwarfs the guy he gave a style to run with however :manny:
Fab is a better rapper than Mase, straight up and down. If he influenced Mase he wound up surpassing him in yhe end...

Mase ain't influenced shyt outside The Apple 😂 🤣 ...

Daps
Fab is a better rapper than Mase, straight up and down. If he influenced Mase he wound up surpassing him in yhe end...

Mase ain't influenced shyt outside The Apple 😂 🤣 ...

We had to sit through Fab running that tired Heat Wade Bron punchline into the ground for like 10 years :deadrose: That nikka is super lazy creatively. As the years went it got worse

Mase is the reason a label found it fit to put money into Fab, Nelly, Loon & Cassidy’s career. Don’t be obtuse my boy :banderas:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

Well as far as skills go he’s one of the most effortless, nicest, slickest rappers ever makes multisyllabic rhyming look easy and a punchline king.

There aren’t many rappers nicer than this monster :wow:

His albums were mid but they always had hits and his mixtapes are revered. He was a 00’s artist which means he was following the commercial album formula of that era which explains the quality of his albums. The R&B rapper lane was his bread and butter and those records still routinely get played on NY radio and at the brunch spots and lounges. Fab has been a relatively commercially successful artist for over 20 years and he caught a second wind in the 2010’s that endeared him to a whole different generation.

The guys here with their 90’s bias are going to dismiss him as a Mase clone or a wannabe Mase so they wouldn’t rank him over him as well as Fabolous not having an album like Harlem World despite the fact that Fabolous career lasted much longer.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
We had to sit through Fab running that tired Heat Wade Bron punchline into the ground for like 10 years :deadrose: That nikka is super lazy creatively. As the years went it got worse

Mase is the reason a label found it fit to put money into Fab, Nelly, Loon & Cassidy’s career. Don’t be obtuse my boy :banderas:
Nelly and Cass whole style different from Mase. Nelly was popping in StL at the time Mase was a household name, he was already attracting attention so I don't know that Mase is the reason he was found out about. He was already buzzing....

Even if you thought his style was influenced by Mase (again I don't, early Nelly doesn't make me think of Mase). He became way bigger than Mase ever was...