Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
I don’t give a fukk who it was written by

Lil Kim changed the trajectory of female hip hop. Both her and Foxy Brown did in their respective ways

So she deserves to be up there

This isn’t a miracle lyrical rapper list. The criteria is in the caption. You nikkas don’t read. Starting to think it’s because you can’t read

You nikkas think ghostwriting is biggie writing the lyrics while all Kim does it say it. Theres alot of work Kim has to put into those lyrics to make it work

Yeah reading lyrics Big wrote and dressing like a slut is hard to craft..

So if you give her a 5 on a scale of 1-5 for impact which Im on board with for a 5, what do you give her for lyricism?

To me she gets a 1.. if you aint write it, u dont get props. Her longevity aint great. So thats about a 3. Albums?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
What’s a more underrated album?
And I already explained the similarities. Do you dispute them?
I heard the album first two tracks are skits/interludes, dude has features on almost every track, and one of the tracks is a remix. It’s a very short album and by virtue of having all those features his run time on it isn’t even that long. It seems like something that was put together because dude was locked up and it flopped. Most people don’t know of it so it’s hard to say it’s a classic there are some dope songs on there but you’re pushing it.

Ultimately his claim boils down to one verse on a classic album that’s not enough to be top 100.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Maybe yall ain't big on him in Brooklyn like that but he's someone I’ll say the reverse for, he's always been pretty popular outside NY/Tristate/Northeast, far as NY rappers go. He doesn't have iconic impact but being popular and relevant for like 20 years while never being an A-lister is kind of a credit to the quality of his music because he wasn't doing shyt else...
Nothing wrong with Fab the board just reveres the 90’s a lot more.

Fab is beloved in NY and he’s always been dead nice.

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers

Lil Kim changed the trajectory of female hip hop. Both her and Foxy Brown did in their respective ways

This isn’t a miracle lyrical rapper list. The criteria is in the caption. You nikkas don’t read. Starting to think it’s because you can’t read

You nikkas think ghostwriting is biggie writing the lyrics while all Kim does it say it. Theres alot of work Kim has to put into those lyrics to make it work

Is this your list breh? you seem very aggravated with anybody who's against some of the placements on the list :mjlol:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I heard the album first two tracks are skits/interludes, dude has features on almost every track, and one of the tracks is a remix. It’s a very short album and by virtue of having all those features his run time on it isn’t even that long. It seems like something that was put together because dude was locked up and it flopped. Most people don’t know of it so it’s hard to say it’s a classic there are some dope songs on there but you’re pushing it.

Ultimately his claim boils down to one verse on a classic album that’s not enough to be top 100.
Yeah Big Noyd may be dope but his entire career is just Mobb Deep's homie. One EP largely carried by the Mobb and a GOAT guest verse isn't enough to get him on the list.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

Like I said in another thread, her verse on Benjamins is probably the greatest woman's rap verse ever. She belongs on the list.

BTW your criteria (specifically impact) was already a little broken with how low Noreaga and Capone were but we've already discussed that.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I call it the QB Purple Tape because it’s a Noyd solo album (the Purple Tape is a Raekwon solo album) but Prodigy has a verse on damn near every song (like Ghost has a verse on damn near every song on the Purple Tape) and the beats is wall to wall HOE era Hav (the Purple Tape was wall to wall RZA).

So there are too many similarities for me to not call it the QB Purple Tape.

The Infamous is The Infamous.
That's a pretty arbitrary criteria.

The Infamous is a way more apt comparison in terms of reception, impact and content. Take the solo project part out of it. OB4CL is basically Ghost and Rae as a duo kicking street tales over dark, singular production and The Infamous is Havoc & Prodigy doing the same thing (Q-Tip got a couple of beats but he shaped the albums whole sound so they fit right in)

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Is this your list breh? you seem very aggravated with anybody who's against some of the placements on the list :mjlol:

I’m apart of the Meccapolis team. So yes. Are you new here because that was stated already

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Like I said in another thread, her verse on Benjamins is probably the greatest woman's rap verse ever. She belongs on the list.

BTW your criteria (specifically impact) was already a little broken with how low Noreaga and Capone were but we've already discussed that.

Nore’s charisma is what stopped him from being irrelevant as a rapper. And he has a classic album with Capone that is the vision of a rapper who is higher on the list than both of them.

We will redo the list in a couple months and have him higher but it won’t be that higher

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Nore’s charisma is what stopped him from being irrelevant as a rapper. And he has a classic album with Capone that is the vision of a rapper who is higher on the list than both of them.

We will redo the list in a couple months and have him higher but it won’t be that higher
True, but I think his impact is underrated. I hear you though, he literally has Lil B level bars at times :russ:. again, I appreciate and respect the content.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Stop the straw man argument. I didn’t disagree that meth is more lyrical. I said she is more popular than him, has more impact and has a better album than his best album

A lot of Kim’s greatness is retrospective. All I Need was big but Crush On you was big too and it grew bigger in the internet era because of the fashion in the video.
Is she more popular? She has a big impact as a female MC but Method Man today is more talked about and more importantly, revered than Kim. All I Need was a bigger hit than anything Lil Kim made and then the various other classic songs. Like the nikka made one of the most iconic hooks in NY rap history :heh:

At one point Method Man and Biggie were 1a and 1b as the biggest rappers in NYC. It was only really 94 through summer 95 but still. More than anything you could say about Kim. Even if you want to make it a pure popularity thing, even with underwhelming solo albums, Meth still had about a 8 year run as a viable commercial rapper.