Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I’ve never heard a half a mil song in my life.

Half-A-Mil was my guy!!

He got started in underground college radio. That's where I met him, at WNYU. Dude was showing up every week killing freestyles. I have joints with him freestyling over The Roots playing live in the studio and all kinds of sh*t. He ended up signing with one of the co-hosts up there, on Penalty Records, but that situation was trash. I still have his demo that DJ Scratch produced. He gave us copies back then.

The Firm situation was huge for him, but it didn't really spark the kinda results anyone was looking for, so he kinda flew under the radar unless you were really locked in back then. But dude was ill on the mic. Just didn't get the shine he deserved.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
If lyricism alone is enough to get Half-A-Mil that high, where G Rap, Pun, GZA and AZ gonna be at? :lupe:

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Thread got me to run back War Report and N.O.R.E. this morning :blessed:

Yeah, Nore way too low. He got to be one of the more unique rappers. In that he was a wild ass dude for real, but naturally good natured and funny as fukk, and his music totally reflect that. And his flow was one of a kind too. Obviously had limitations as a lyricist without but he made it work.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Erick Sermon feels low as hell. Ditto for Nore...

Max B is one of these cats I be saying has way more relevance in NY than outside of NY. I know his name and affiliations.....I don't know a single song by him and never been around anyone who plays his shyt...

Putting Buffalo nikkas on a NY list is wild 🤣...

Papoose was nothing special, I can't name 100 rappers in NY better (I'd struggle to name 100 NY rappers) but NYers overrate this guy something serious...

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Those aren’t the only reasons.

Another reason is that new NYC producers are very one note. So the sound didn’t transcend the way it was supposed to. Drill was a good transition but drill gets dry fast bc all the drill producers sound the same. The best drill producer is from the UK

The other reason is the NYC OGs of Hip Hop won’t pass the crown to younger generation because they were too busy still rapping themselves. So the youth did it themselves and represented a new New York that the older people don’t like. Which causes an age divide.

This doesn’t happen in the south or west

Kendrick was immediately embraced by Game, Dre, Snoop, etc

ASAP Rocky was getting shytted on by the NYC elder statesmen initially

Agreed. All the other regions birthed a major producer (or multiple ones) over the last decade plus. Cali/LA had Mustard, the Midwest had Cardo, Atlanta had Metro and a shyt ton of others popping up every year. Pro Era and ASAP had some dope in-house producers but they weren't really making big shyt for various artists, it was in-house.

Basically everything went from for NY and it still hasn't recovered. But we prob wouldn't be having this convo if Pop Smoke had lived. He was popping, used NY producers and looked/sounded like he'd become a star.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Erick Sermon feels low as hell. Ditto for Nore...

Max B is one of these cats I be saying has way more relevance in NY than outside of NY. I know his name and affiliations.....I don't know a single song by him and never been around anyone who plays his shyt...

Putting Buffalo nikkas on a NY list is wild 🤣...

Papoose was nothing special, I can't name 100 rappers in NY better (I'd struggle to name 100 NY rappers) but NYers overrate this guy something serious...
lol.. you could say that and it is borderline.

But Long Island aint part of the 5 Boroughs either.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
lol.. you could say that and it is borderline.

But Long Island aint part of the 5 Boroughs either.

You know there's gonna be some from Yonkers and Westchester County too. I mean if it's New York state then it is what it is. Griselda got a very retro NYC sound too, but it is kind of weird when you see Redman getting DQ'd for a few miles away from the city across the state line but these dudes like 400 miles away get on there.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
You know there's gonna be some from Yonkers and Westchester County too. I mean if it's New York state then it is what it is. Griselda got a very retro NYC sound too, but it is kind of weird when you see Redman getting DQ'd for a few miles away from the city across the state line but these dudes like 400 miles away get on there.

Red wouldn't want to be on a NY list though, lol.

Treach was just speaking about this. He said Jersey MC's get mad when people lump them in with NY. He said when the East/West sh*t was going on, Cali dudes out there would tell him that he might as well be NY since NJ is so close, and he said he was scrapping because of people saying sh*t like that to him. HAHA! Jersey rappers take it personally. That's a whole other state. They ain't with it.